Scottish National Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Stu's Brews yeah it actually is slightly pleasing to confirm that what I was tasting was indeed diacetly. I'm a wee bit concerned that it's somehow being created between doing the rest and being ready to drink but not sure if that's possible. Perhaps I just haven't picked dit up as strongly and then it's emerged more with conditioning.
Further work and learning. I have already made changes on the lager I currently have in the FV. Onwards

@Stu's Brews yeah it actually is slightly pleasing to confirm that what I was tasting was indeed diacetly. I'm a wee bit concerned that it's somehow being created between doing the rest and being ready to drink but not sure if that's possible. Perhaps I just haven't picked dit up as strongly and then it's emerged more with conditioning.
Further work and learning. I have already made changes on the lager I currently have in the FV. Onwards
Mine was in an IPA not even a lager. I wonder what caused it. No clue what to do differently.

When do you dry hop? If it's after the diacetyl rest it could be hop creep causing it.

Do you do a forced diacetyl test after the rest to make sure there is no diacetyl?

When do you dry hop? If it's after the diacetyl rest it could be hop creep causing it.

Do you do a forced diacetyl test after the rest to make sure there is no diacetyl?
I dry hopped for the last 5 days, after been fermenting 9 days. I didn’t do a diacetyl rest, I kept it at 20C for 2 weeks. It was at final gravity for about 3/4 days. Did I do something wrong? What should I do for a forced diacetyl test? Maybe I should do that.

No dry hop as it was just a lager. I always do rest and I do taste before I drop the temp for crash. Having just read about forced tests though I will sharpen up on that. Honestly I think/hope I am on top of this now but we'll see.

AAF58498-1CE0-43F0-AF6B-E96FA4DE9F37.png

0DD12529-83EC-4F49-8527-8A20DBDCB51A.png

I dry hopped for the last 5 days, after been fermenting 9 days. I didn’t do a diacetyl rest, I kept it at 20C for 2 weeks. It was at final gravity for about 3/4 days. Did I do something wrong? What should I do for a forced diacetyl test? Maybe I should do that.

Not so much that you did anything wrong, but if you do a large dry hop it can induce hop creep where the enzymes in the hops further break down sugars in the beer allowing fermentation to restart. If that happens you can end up with diacetyl as you won't have done an additional rest. You can avoid this by either dry hopping during active fermentation (so before the rest) or by dry hopping at a lower temperature, which should limit the ability of the enzymes to get to work on the sugars.

I could also be barking up the wrong tree and the diacetyl may be nothing to do with hop creep in this instance. But given you've left it for a decent amount of time at 20degC after final gravity was reached then I'd be surprised if that was the case. One way to know if it is hop creep would be a drop in FG afterwards, probably only one or two points though.

Looks like you've already found some good notes on doing a diacetyl rest. Only takes about 15 minutes to do. I do mine on the hob using a saucepan of water that I keep at 70degC.

Last edited:
Not so much that you did anything wrong, but if you do a large dry hop it can induce hop creep where the enzymes in the hops further break down sugars in the beer allowing fermentation to restart. If that happens you can end up with diacetyl as you won't have done an additional rest. You can avoid this by either dry hopping during active fermentation (so before the rest) or by dry hopping at a lower temperature, which should limit the ability of the enzymes to get to work on the sugars.

I could also be barking up the wrong tree and the diacetyl may be nothing to do with hop creep in this instance. But given you've left it for a decent amount of time at 20degC after final gravity was reached then I'd be surprised if that was the case. One way to know if it is hop creep would be a drop in FG afterwards, probably only one or two points though.

Looks like you've already found some good notes on doing a diacetyl rest. Only takes about 15 minutes to do. I do mine on the hob using a saucepan of water that I keep at 70degC.
Thanks very much for the help! Think I’ll give the forced test a go next time.

That’s a great score. 👍
Thank you. I got an honourable mention in this category last year with a score of 33. Both judges marked it down as they felt it was a bit past its best. Looking back I can now see I bottled it in August so now, despite being chuffed with that score, I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t make it a bit later 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thank you. I got an honourable mention in this category last year with a score of 33. Both judges marked it down as they felt it was a bit past its best. Looking back I can now see I bottled it in August so now, despite being chuffed with that score, I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t make it a bit later 🤷🏼‍♂️
That’s the trouble with these things! 😂

Latest posts

Back