September Competition - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done @Turexy and @Pennine. This was a big surprise to be honest, it was a bit of a wildcard entry and I wasn't sure how well it would be recieved, but thanks to @Leon103 for judging. Recipe is below:

Citron Belge

Batch size: 21 L
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.002 (yep really)
ABV: 7.6%
Colour: 3 SRM
Bitterness: 26 IBU

Fermentables
4.0 kg Pilsner Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.5 kg White Sugar

Hops
10 g Zeus at 60 mins
25 g Cascade at 15 mins
25 g Cascade Whirlpool
50 g Citra Dry Hop

Water Profile
90 ppm Calcium
110 ppm Sulphate
110 ppm Chloride
15 ppm Alkalinity

Notes
Zest of 2 lemons added along with dry hops
Fermented with Belle Saison
Pitch at 20°c and ramp up to 27°c over 1 week
Mash schdule:
55°c for 10 mins
62°c for 30 mins
71°c for 30 mins
77°c for 10 mins

Yes, it could be argued that this is a saison and not an American IPA, but with the US hops and the lemon flavours it drinks like an IPA with a Belgian twist. Kind of reminds me of Cloudwater Belgian Citra IPA.

Oh and I have one of these each to be sent out to @Pennine, @samale, and @UKSkydiver as promised.

Thanks, think I will add that to the brew list.

Well done @Turexy and @Pennine. This was a big surprise to be honest, it was a bit of a wildcard entry and I wasn't sure how well it would be recieved, but thanks to @Leon103 for judging. Recipe is below:

Citron Belge

Fermentables
4.0 kg Pilsner Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.5 kg White Sugar

Hops
10 g Zeus at 60 mins
25 g Cascade at 15 mins
25 g Cascade Whirlpool
50 g Citra Dry Hop

Water Profile
90 ppm Calcium
110 ppm Sulphate
110 ppm Chloride
15 ppm Alkalinity

Notes
Mash schdule:
55°c for 10 mins
62°c for 30 mins
71°c for 30 mins
77°c for 10 mins

Yes, it could be argued that this is a saison and not an American IPA, but with the US hops and the lemon flavours it drinks like an IPA with a Belgian twist. Kind of reminds me of Cloudwater Belgian Citra IPA (perhaps unsurprisingly).

Oh and I have one of these each to be sent out to @Pennine, @samale, and @UKSkydiver as promised.
Good stuff. I have a cardamom & coriander saison to send in return. I will give it a few weeks before sending it up👍

Citron Belge

Fermentables
4.0 kg Pilsner Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.5 kg White Sugar

Hops
10 g Zeus at 60 mins
25 g Cascade at 15 mins
25 g Cascade Whirlpool
50 g Citra Dry Hop

Water Profile
90 ppm Calcium
110 ppm Sulphate
110 ppm Chloride
15 ppm Alkalinity

Notes
Mash schdule:
55°c for 10 mins
62°c for 30 mins
71°c for 30 mins
77°c for 10 mins

Yes, it could be argued that this is a saison and not an American IPA, but with the US hops and the lemon flavours it drinks like an IPA with a Belgian twist. Kind of reminds me of Cloudwater Belgian Citra IPA (perhaps unsurprisingly).

oh I can't wait was gonna ask you for a swap. I think hoppy saisons are going to be the next big thing... or not. but they are still delicious.

I think hoppy saisons are going to be the next big thing... or not. but they are still delicious.
The great thing about a hoppy saison is that after the inevitable hop-fade there's a much more interesting base beer than a typical IPA left behind.

Good job Leon. Any advice or tips I am judging next. How did you score the beer.
First tip, don't get ******.

I printed out bjcp scoresheets , not that I was scoring to their guide. Some beers didn't say what their were. But the scoring guides are handy. Just took each beer individually rather than comparing against each other with 15 beers I couldn't remember which beer scored what until I sorted the scoresheets. One of the judges wanted to re-taste some of the beers but we had drank them. So may be keep some back.

Latest posts

Back