Shall I go all out or get a cheap kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob287

Reaction score
I have been researching in to which "starter" kit to buy. I want a 5 Gallon.

Iv set aside space in my garage and have ordered a work bench/table. Got my old fridge in there for the bottles to be stored.

I have £750 to spend

Should I just get a cheaper kit off eBay that you can get <£100 to start with get experice and then invest in better?

Or a "Deluxe All Grain Mashing Setup" £380 from homebrewshop

Or just go straight for a bulldog/grainfarther all stainless steel the works jobby?

I want the boiler to be electric not gas fired

Thanks Guys :-)

Rob
Have you done any home brewing at all?
If not, my suggestion is to get some experience by brewing a few kits. Premium kits are best. You only need this to brew
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Essential Equipment[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Fermenting Vessel (FV) with a lid. Readily available is the Youngs 25 litre FV.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Enough bottles in which to put your brew. Both PET or glass are fine. Any pre-used bottle will do as long as it is in good condition and has held a 'fizzy' drink. Ordinary beer bottles will need you to have a capper and caps. You could try 2 litre PET bottles (ex fizzy water). Still water bottles should not be used.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- a long mixing spoon[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- a thermometer that is reasonably accurate (e.g digital type)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- a siphon tube preferably one with a cap on the end[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- something to sterilise and sanitise your equipment e.g. VWP[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- a teaspoon[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Basic Nice to Haves[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- a brewing/winemakers hydrometer (recommended)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- scales[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- an airlock or bubbler which will fit into the FV lid; not essential but useful[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- a funnel to use for adding priming sugar to your bottles[/FONT]

Having done that you will be better placed about where you are going, and can then make up your own mind which direction you need to go, and what equipment to buy.
In other words walk before you can run :thumb:
Home brewing is very personal and for every brewer you will find a different opinion on brewing methods and equipment choice.

I'd second that. Start with kits to learn the basics of sanitising and fermenting. Then when you're happy, move on to AG. Either stove-top or using a cheap boiler and doing BIAB.
Doing a full all grain brew takes a serious amount of time (5 hours or thereabouts for me) so best make sure you're happy with this before spending a shed-load of money.

With tears in my eyes I have to second what has already been said and suggest that you start with the absolute minimum ...

... but oh how I wish SWMBO would let me spend £750 on better brewing stuff!

I've posted my three key essentials for AG brewing for your perusal.

Mash Tun, Boiler and Cooler with a total cost of less than £60.

They are "top of the line" for me so I'm off to weep gently and dream of what I would do with seven-hundred and fifty quid! :doh: :doh:

Get a divorce maybe? :whistle: :whistle:

Mash Tun.jpg

Boiler.jpg

Coil Cooler.jpg

Listen to the guys above. having done some 8-10 kits now I currently have no inclination to even consider a full blown all grain set up. I have the speace etc but am getting decent brews, some much better than bought beers with kits.

There is so much to do with simple kits that can give you great beer I will be a long time before I need to step up( which I am sure i will in the coming years)

Simple starter kit can cost under £100 and get you going, which would still leave you more than enough should the time come to go all-grain etc.

Nope not brewed at all just read alot of books.

Shall i pay the extra for stainless steel?

I will take the advise from you lot and go down the route of minimum kit to start with

If you haven't brewed anything yet, I'll echo the others and recommend starting with some basic kit-brewing equipment and get a couple of kits under your belt. This way you can familiarise yourself with the basics of your equipment, and find a sanitation and temperature control routine that works for you, as these are the two most important things to get right and you don't want to waste a day doing an all-grain brew just to ruin a batch because of the fundamentals. Plus, it will give you a chance to see if brewing really is for you without investing heavily, and the equipment you get will be things that you will need if you then upgrade to all-grain.

There are lots of options available from The Homebrew Company, Homebrew Online, The Homebrew Shop, BrewUK and others, which sell their own equipment bundles as well as branded pre-packaged starter kits from Brewferm, Woodfordes, Cooper's and Youngs. Make sure to look at at the 'discounts' section on here, as some of these online shops have a 5% discount for members of this forum.

Personally, I would aim for a 33L fermentation vessel without a tap, as the extra head room will help prevent overflowing when fermenting beers with large krausens. They are also the easiest to clean and can be submersed into a flexi-bucket with an aquarium heater for temperature control (I would invest in a £3 40L flexi-bucket and £8 75W heater as they make a cheap temperature control option this time of year). An fv with airlock isn't necessary, though it won't do any harm. I just crack the lid slightly when fermenting and have never had any problems with it. Similarly, stainless steel is nice and shiny, but an unnecessary luxury - there are many other things I would invest in first before going for one of these, plus they can be a pain if you later upgrade to a brew fridge for temperature control. I would also go for either a separate bottling bucked with a tap and bottling stick, as siphoning off the trub allows you to batch prime your beer and prevents you from stirring up sediment when faffing around grabbing empty bottles and putting full ones down, or go for a starter kit with a pressure barrel. Personally, I'm not a fan of pressure barrels for multiple reasons, but other people swear by them. In terms of bottles, some cheap PET one can get you started, but the glass ones are nicer. After my initial outlay I've been collecting and recycling empty bottles, and helping to 'clear up' after parties, so now I have loads. Another point is many of the starter kits come with stick-on strip thermometers which aren't accurate. I'd invest in a good electric or spirit thermometer, as it will prove invaluable. Finally, a starter kit with a decent twin-lever capper, like the ones that comes with the Homebrew Company kits, can save you head-aches down the line and should last until you (almost inevitably) decide to buy a bench capper.

The trial jar, siphon tubing and hydrometer are all much of a muchness, though I prefer the smaller trial jar and hydrometer from Homebrew Online, as it means I waste less beer when doing hydrometer readings. You can start with any sanitiser, most starter kits come with VWP or an oxi- based no-rinse one, though boiling water and diluted thin bleach will also do the job. Eventually you might want several for different purposes. I use oxi-clean for cleaning things that have caked on, VWP for heavy-duty sanitation, and star-san for spraying down surfaces, scissors, caps..., and boiling water for things that can stand it (i.e. not plastics that go soft with heat).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that big reply.

Just from reading it seems a bit boring just adding water and its done want to get involved more thats why i wanted to go AG but if it benifits my learning i shall start that way. Coppers larger i think

Just from reading it seems a bit boring just adding water and its done want to get involved more but if it benifits my learning i shall start that way. Coppers larger i think

Wasting an hour throwing together a 1 or 2 can kit for around �£20 and another �£20 on basic equipment only to find out in 4 to 6 weeks that there is an issue with the system you used in producing it is a lot better than wasting �£500-800 and umpteen hours on more complicated kit and multiple grain/hops/yeast over several brews trying to eradicate the problem.

When you have to start and clean/sterilise a lot of equipment as a novice infection can take hold quite easily, at least with basic kit and a 1 or 2 can kit you keep the process to the absolute minimum, everything you buy for can kits will also be used in progressing to more expensive all in one or 3 pot systems so there is no loss.

Just from reading it seems a bit boring just adding water and its done want to get involved more thats why i wanted to go AG but if it benifits my learning i shall start that way. Coppers larger i think
Rob
On the face of it, it might seem a bit boring to just add water to a kit but I can assure you that's only a small part of what you will be doing. It's not like making a cup of tea with a teabag! As others have said there is sanitising to get right, temperature control, and simply understanding the basic fermentation process to name but a few. When you get these basics under your belt its time to move on, if indeed you choose to do so.
Lots on here just do kits, many do extract brewing, and there are lots who have the time, space and inclination to make their beer from grain and get the personal buzz that goes with it.
Finally if you do start with a kit you might find this useful.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526

Yeah, brewing from kits is "pot noodle" brewing and it can be a bit boring after a while. You will still learn a lot about your equipment, and hands on experience with make you familiar with things such as how pliable you fv gets with hot water, how viscous malt extracts are, how much rinsing is needed to get rid of the smell of VWP, how DME sucks moisture from the air and clumps together when added to water, how easily the trub gets kicked up, how much heat is emitted from by yeast metabolism, what a healthy fermentation smells like, what a healthy krausen looks like, how the colour of the wort darkens as the yeasts flocctuates, how thick the foam gets when you aerate the wort, and myriad other little things that help develop your intuition as a brewer. Some people get a lot of mileage out of kit brewing, playing around with hop additions, steeping grains, doing partial mashes, substituting yeasts and so on. I brewed with kits almost incessantly for 6 months before stepping up to all-grain. It's great that you have the money and motivation to get into all-grain quickly, but I can guarantee that even with a kit you will finish your brewing/bottling day thinking about which parts you could improve next time, and you won't find it boring.

I started with a few kits and then went to AG. I bought a Grainfather which was expensive but equally a good bit of kit.

If you have the money then why not splash out on something if you want it. You only live once and you can't take it with you!

That's just my two pence!

Thanks for the replys. Iv been saving my money from when i was in the falkland islands for 6 months. Im going to listen to you experienced lot and go for a starter kit. Then after iv done a few look and buy the necessary items so i can go AG.

Thanks for the discount code :-) Iv gone with the coopers larger beginners kit and iv got some little extras.

Go click and collect at Tesco get your self a Woodfords wherry kit while there mega cheap at £16 and a couple of boxs of 500 ml coopers plastic bottles. £10 a box buy 2 big plastic bucket, then get 2 airlocks and 2 grommits, big long plastic spoon, a bottle of cheap sterilizer, a length of plastic hose and your brewing beer. Like the lads say , brew a few decent kits and learn the basics, the best Cider kit is Ciderworks apple. Also the Better brew kits are very good

Hi Guys.

I got a starter kit. I found it quite straight forward and will be bottling the weekend. Shall I move onto a malt extract then a full mash? Iv got another beer to do once i complete this one.

Only mistake i done really was it was to hot. So I put the fermanter into the bath full of cold water to get it to temp rather than waiting ages for it to cool from 40degs

Cheers guys :-)

Hi!
You said in the original post that you have a fridge. I would get it set up as a brew fridge with an inexpensive tubular heater and an Inkbird temperature controller. Having control over your fermentation temperature is essential if you want to produce good beer, either from kits or all-grain brewing.

Hi Guys.

I got a starter kit. I found it quite straight forward and will be bottling the weekend. Shall I move onto a malt extract then a full mash? Iv got another beer to do once i complete this one.

Only mistake i done really was it was to hot. So I put the fermanter into the bath full of cold water to get it to temp rather than waiting ages for it to cool from 40degs

Cheers guys :-)

I suggest that you slow down a bit.

It may very well be possible to bottle the brew at the weekend but you really need to know that it has stopped fermenting before you do so.

I suggest that when you think it has stopped fermenting you take a SG and then take a second one 24 hours later. If the two SGs are the same then the brew has effectively stopped fermenting ...

... however ...

... most of us leave the brew for at least two weeks after pitching the yeast before thinking of bottling.

The yeast will spend the extra time cleaning up the brew and that in turn results in a better tasting brew and a more rapid clearing.

Don't forget to have a sneak taste by drinking the 100ml or so that you use to take the SGs!

It may not taste as nice as the finished brew but it's a preview of all your own work! :thumb::thumb:

With tears in my eyes I have to second what has already been said and suggest that you start with the absolute minimum ...

... but oh how I wish SWMBO would let me spend �£750 on better brewing stuff!

I've posted my three key essentials for AG brewing for your perusal.

Mash Tun, Boiler and Cooler with a total cost of less than �£60.

They are "top of the line" for me so I'm off to weep gently and dream of what I would do with seven-hundred and fifty quid! :doh: :doh:

Get a divorce maybe? :whistle: :whistle:

eey Dutto, call thyself hard done by I only have a bucket, not of that fancy copper stuff :lol:

Latest posts

Back