So I am not persuaded

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Okies, I gots my cash. The Klarstein seems a reasonable option. But my allegiance to Ankou seem difficult to wrench from reasoning. I understand the convenience of a £400 + brewing system but I feel I am getting very little from it. So you gots 3 hours to makes me a reasonably good suggestion before I go all in on my new all grain pan or brewing system. Cash limit is £225 tops. 3-2-1 go!

...and with time to spare.
What's wrong with your present kit, that you want to go out and blow a couple of hundred? Unless, it's just Christmas madness, of course. Plenty of that around here.
I Don't understand the convenience of an all-in -one system except where space is at a premium- it makes sense, then, over a three vessel system and all its appurtenances. But you've still got to clean it all out at the end before putting it away, and I've heard some horror stories about ill-fitting gaskets, stuck mashes and all sorts of things.
So what new all-grain pan are you considering?

I have been using my Braumeister since early 2015. I have brewed a lot of batches since then and have never had stuck mashes or issues with ill-fitted gaskets like mentioned by An Ankou. My beer is excellent and has won first prices at my homebrew group.

Only you can decide what setup is right for you and how much you want to spend on it. I like the compactness of the system, I like that I can program a mash with as many steps as I want, I like that the kettle does not need to be watched all the time, I like the consistency of the system, I like how easy it is to clean, I like that I can get spare parts easily. Other people might like other systems and that's totally fine.

I will not try to convince you but I do not recognise the negative sentiment around electric brewing systems. You go buy what best suits your situation and budget.

I have been using my Braumeister since early 2015. I have brewed a lot of batches since then and have never had stuck mashes or issues with ill-fitted gaskets like mentioned by An Ankou. My beer is excellent and has won first prices at my homebrew group.

Only you can decide what setup is right for you and how much you want to spend on it. I like the compactness of the system, I like that I can program a mash with as many steps as I want, I like that the kettle does not need to be watched all the time, I like the consistency of the system, I like how easy it is to clean, I like that I can get spare parts easily. Other people might like other systems and that's totally fine.

I will not try to convince you but I do not recognise the negative sentiment around electric brewing systems. You go buy what best suits your situation and budget.
It's a fair comment, @Dorst , and as I've never used an AIO, I can't speak at first hand. I see the point of starting with an AIO, perhaps, but I'd be reluctant to scrap and existing, working system to convert to an AIO. I see, too, how it can save you space, but how does it save you time?
Yeah, programming a stepped mash sounds amazing- I'd love to be able to do that, but can you really leave it? don't you need to "mash" the mash, from time to time, to avoid hot spots nearer the element and cooler spots elsewhere?
The Braumeister (Speidel?) does seem to be a decent bit of kit, but, if I'm looking at the right thing, it comes at an eye-watering price.

What's wrong with your present kit, that you want to go out and blow a couple of hundred? Unless, it's just Christmas madness, of course. Plenty of that around here.
I Don't understand the convenience of an all-in -one system except where space is at a premium- it makes sense, then, over a three vessel system and all its appurtenances. But you've still got to clean it all out at the end before putting it away, and I've heard some horror stories about ill-fitting gaskets, stuck mashes and all sorts of things.
I gots a one gallon pan and a burco boiler you already know about :P

I just wannas grain not like the best of yers because that would be stupid to even say so when the last grain from the burco was just pure DMS lawl. I wants to just gits in and gits out when I need or want. Not have some super duper system that my i-phone can deal with on some of the level ;) 1 hour left then I go buys :P

but how does it save you time?
For met, being time-poor, my Brewzilla has been great. I can set it up in advance, get strike water heating at a particular time so I can go about my day knowing it'll be ready to mash in when I am ready. It has meant I can brew more easily. Granted it doesn't save time, but it allows me to have a more disjointed brewday, which is beneficial in my circumstances.

don't you need to "mash" the mash, from time to time, to avoid hot spots nearer the element and cooler spots elsewhere?
The brewzilla has a built in pump for this, as do most all in ones, I believe.

This is one of things that is circumstance and preference-led. @Arcs - it will be easy for people to tell you to buy X, Y, Z, but I think the best approach is to begin with your requirements, and find a solution to meet those within your budget. I don't know what you are looking for from a requirements perspective (maybe it's on another thread?).

For met, being time-poor, my Brewzilla has been great. I can set it up in advance, get strike water heating at a particular time so I can go about my day knowing it'll be ready to mash in when I am ready. It has meant I can brew more easily. Granted it doesn't save time, but it allows me to have a more disjointed brewday, which is beneficial in my circumstances.

The brewzilla has a built in pump for this, as do most all in ones, I believe.

This is one of things that is circumstance and preference-led. @Arcs - it will be easy for people to tell you to buy X, Y, Z, but I think the best approach is to begin with your requirements, and find a solution to meet those within your budget. I don't know what you are looking for from a requirements perspective (maybe it's on another thread?).
I just wanne mash my way through Dave Line's book for now and i'll be happy for a few years tbh ;) I can buy a grainfather rn if i want but i ask myself, what am I getting for that £400+ ????? a timer, a pump tap and ?? doesn't seem worth it to me tbh but persuade me and I may save myself a trip to town ;) 50 mins left :P

It's a fair comment, @Dorst , and as I've never used an AIO, I can't speak at first hand. I see the point of starting with an AIO, perhaps, but I'd be reluctant to scrap and existing, working system to convert to an AIO. I see, too, how it can save you space, but how does it save you time?
Yeah, programming a stepped mash sounds amazing- I'd love to be able to do that, but can you really leave it? don't you need to "mash" the mash, from time to time, to avoid hot spots nearer the element and cooler spots elsewhere?
The Braumeister (Speidel?) does seem to be a decent bit of kit, but, if I'm looking at the right thing, it comes at an eye-watering price.

I'll admit that the Braumeister is expensive, most likely out of reach of most homebrewers. I paid 1159.00 GBP for mine in 2015 but it's still in great shape and will last me many more years. If the pump gives out I know I'll be able to replace it. My guess is that cheaper electric brewing systems will be built less durable and have less longevity, but functionally they should perform more or less the same. I see Braumeister kettles offered second hand quite often so buying them second hand is always an option.

The mash is truly setup and forget. The malts are in a basket away from the heating elements, a pump circulates the water. The pump also deactivates and activates at times to loosen the malts in the basket.

Because of the automation I feel that I spend less time having hands on the kettle. I can do other things in between and would even feel comfortable taking a small stroll in the neighbourhood. I tend to fill the kettle with water and I mash-in at 38 degrees C. While the kettle is heating up to 38C I mill my grains and weigh my salt additions. When the kettle is at 38C I'm about done with my malt preparations, fill the malt pipe, and then I have my hands free until the end of the mash. No worries about stuck mashes, no stirring, no temperature checking..

I'll admit that the Braumeister is expensive, most likely out of reach of most homebrewers. I paid 1159.00 GBP for mine in 2015 but it's still in great shape and will last me many more years. If the pump gives out I know I'll be able to replace it. My guess is that cheaper electric brewing systems will be built less durable and have less longevity, but functionally they should perform more or less the same. I see Braumeister kettles offered second hand quite often so buying them second hand is always an option.

The mash is truly setup and forget. The malts are in a basket away from the heating elements, a pump circulates the water. The pump also deactivates and activates at times to loosen the malts in the basket.

Because of the automation I feel that I spend less time having hands on the kettle. I can do other things in between and would even feel comfortable taking a small stroll in the neighbourhood. I tend to fill the kettle with water and I mash-in at 38 degrees C. While the kettle is heating up to 38C I mill my grains and weigh my salt additions. When the kettle is at 38C I'm about done with my malt preparations, fill the malt pipe, and then I have my hands free until the end of the mash. No worries about stuck mashes, no stirring, no temperature checking..
nice but I don't have any more space :c I won't be buying a grain masher so i can stick my drill in it and crush my grains fresh :c may be a buy a lotto ticket tomorrowz, then I win and then I ask you all to move to Liverpool and we open up a brewery of own. Ah that's the dream. I've just the site too and it could be a nice meadery too xD And then I remember snotty Green Gilbert, with how far to Hitchen. The end phrase in a Geordie accent, 'ah well, ya can always dream like!' xD I liked the klarstein tbh because of the compactness. Which means I'd be giving away for free - well yer pays yer postage. My grain basket ;d

I started in ag with a klarstein biab fullhorn great piece of kit which i still have, i now have a brewzilla which i love so easy to use and the pump was a revelation, put the mash on set the pump going no need to stir pull the basket sparge or no sparge let it drain get the boil going sit down for 1 hour if you want i do other stuff like clean the basket, cool down into fv job done all thats left is cleaning the kettle, is the brewzilla worth the money you bet it is

nice but I don't have any more space :c I won't be buying a grain masher so i can stick my drill in it and crush my grains fresh :c may be a buy a lotto ticket tomorrowz, then I win and then I ask you all to move to Liverpool and we open up a brewery of own. Ah that's the dream. I've just the site too and it could be a nice meadery too xD And then I remember snotty Green Gilbert, with how far to Hitchen. The end phrase in a Geordie accent, 'ah well, ya can always dream like!' xD I liked the klarstein tbh because of the compactness. Which means I'd be giving away for free - well yer pays yer postage. My grain basket ;d

In the Netherlands malt are not sold crushed so I do not really have a say in the matter if I want to crush fresh or not ;-) Buying malts in bulk (25kg) actually does save money so there are some advantages.

I look forward to the invite if you do win that lottery though!

I started in ag with a klarstein biab fullhorn great piece of kit which i still have, i now have a brewzilla which i love so easy to use and the pump was a revelation, put the mash on set the pump going no need to stir pull the basket sparge or no sparge let it drain get the boil going sit down for 1 hour if you want i do other stuff like clean the basket, cool down into fv job done all thats left is cleaning the kettle, is the brewzilla worth the money you bet it is
but you brews with nuclear gervin power ;d err nvm just kidding =)

I still do my cooker-top brews in a 15 litre SS pan with a steamer bit on top. I mash in a half-size cooler box and when done, pour the mash into a strainer bag in the perforated steamer section. I then sparge until the pan is nearly full and away we go. getting 12 litres is easy peasy, 13 at a push, and for a 15 of 20 litre brew, I just brew strong and dilute before pitching. Nothing could be easier.

Latest posts

Back