Sparkling Wine won’t carbonate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sepla

Reaction score
Hi guys….I’m now on second attempt at making a sparkling wine from a white wine kit so the wife can have ‘Prosecco on tap’😂. The wine is in a cornie at 2 degrees C and was initially force carbonated at 50 psi….it’s also been under pressure at 60psi for two and a half weeks but having sampled several times over that period it still tastes like flat Prosecco….I can’t really understand why it still tastes flat and wondered if any one has any tips?

If you pull the pressure release valve does gas come out? At that temp and pressure I'm shocked it isn't carbed yet so guessing somehow the corny isn't actually under pressure?

Can you lay the keg on its side with the gas connected? If so do that , you should hear the gas 'pouring in' and bubbling loudly. Rock the keg back and forth for a count of 50 - this burst carbing should get you to about lager carbonation - leave to settle for 30 mins and test. If working try it again to up the carbonation

One last thought, what is your serving pressure? If that is too high I find I can make my final drink too flat - serve with only 5 to 10psi max

Are you sure you have not got a leak on the co2 lines/connections. I know you said you have had it connected for a time and I would have thought that it would have emptied your gas bottle but I would connect to a keg of beer and see if it puts gas in that ok as I have gassed up white wine before but it soon goes flat once poured and never as gassy as the commercial stuff

One last thought, what is your serving pressure? If that is too high I find I can make my final drink too flat - serve with only 5 to 10psi max
Apologies for the late reply…getting no notifications. Yes I have done all the above so I know the keg has pressure….over the Xmas period I tried to decarbonate down to around 30 psi (similar to when I force carbonate my beer) but still same issue. I even bought a flow control tap because when I pour it’s very foamy….I actually wonder if this is the issue and all my carbonation is being lost when I pour? I usually serve around 8 psi but have tried from 1-10 to see if there is any difference…but no joy

Are you sure you have not got a leak on the co2 lines/connections. I know you said you have had it connected for a time and I would have thought that it would have emptied your gas bottle but I would connect to a keg of beer and see if it puts gas in that ok as I have gassed up white wine before but it soon goes flat once poured and never as gassy as the commercial stuff
Yes I have done all the above….as mentioned below when I pour it’s very foamy and I wonder if I’m losing all the carbonation as I pour? I’ve just ordered a carbonation cap to try a single bottle to see how that turns out

Latest posts

Back