St. Peter’s cream stout doesn’t seem to be doing anything

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Federalman

Reaction score
As the title really. Brewed it on 31/12 and so far I’ve had foam on the top which has since died back. The fermenter is at 18-20c as suggested on the instruction but I’m getting no bubbles out of the air lock. It’s my first attempt at brewing so if anyone who has brewed this before has got any hints or is able to let me know if it’s actually been doing something that would be great. SG was 1046. Still got a few days left however. If it’s not fermented very well what would be my next move on it?

If you have had foam or krausen on top in reasonable quantity shortly after you started your stout it is highly likely to have been fermenting. Dependant on the yeast and a number of other things the krausen may only last a day or two and then it drops back into the brew even though the fermentation is still ongoing, although the rate will have dropped. You don't say whether you have an airlock/bubbler fitted to your FV and if you are relying on that to indicate how things are progressing. If you do have one fitted note that even the smallest leak between the lid and FV will allow CO2 to bypass the airlock and this will be more evident towards the end of the fermentation. Your lid might looked as if it sealed but it isn't. So assuming you have your FV at about 18-20*C (and not much lower) my advice is to live it alone for a full seven days from when you started and then take an SG reading which will give the best indication of what is happening. By then your fermentation should have almost or be completely finished and your SG will probably be somewhere around 1.010. And if all OK leave it another 2/3 days for the yeast to clean up and then move to a cold place for another 2 days or so to help drop the yeast and clear the beer and then you can go ahead and bottle or keg it.
Other tips in here
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum

I have an air lock on it and there doesn’t appear to be anything coming out though there are bubbles sat in it so I wonder if it’s just not the rate I was expecting/seen on videos. The FV is at 18-20 according to the LCD thermometer on the side and I’ve made sure to keep the heating off where it is and it seems to be sat steady at that temperature. The yeast is what came with it. Thanks for the advice I’ll leave it a good few days further and see what happens. I have a 10L keg kit arriving today and will bottle the rest. Any suggestion on carbonation drops per bottle/CO2 to be carbonating a stout?

Ive had 23ltrs of bitter fermenting for over 4 weeks and still it is only down to 1.010, I put half kilo of sugar and a kilo of DME, temp at 20c, any ideas. Tried to start a new post but it doesn't work, so hijacked this one.

Ive had 23ltrs of bitter fermenting for over 4 weeks and still it is only down to 1.010, I put half kilo of sugar and a kilo of DME, temp at 20c, any ideas. Tried to start a new post but it doesn't work, so hijacked this one.

It looks as if you are on track so don't worry.

A Final Gravity of 1.010 normally indicates that fermentation is completed. However, it is common practice to leave the brew in the fermenter for the full two weeks to allow the brew to settle and the yeast to clean up any remaining sugars; so at four weeks and with an FG of 1.010, personally I would bottle it.

I Any suggestion on carbonation drops per bottle/CO2 to be carbonating a stout?
I don't use carb drops. Waste of money imo. Table sugar is cheap, predictable and you can adjust the priming rate as required.
Many on here use this to calculate priming rates. But note that there is a limit on priming plastic PBs which makes them only really suitable for low carb beers. I used 95g limit for 20+litres in a 25litre PB.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

It looks as if you are on track so don't worry.

A Final Gravity of 1.010 normally indicates that fermentation is completed. However, it is common practice to leave the brew in the fermenter for the full two weeks to allow the brew to settle and the yeast to clean up any remaining sugars; so at four weeks and with an FG of 1.010, personally I would bottle it.
Im gonna barrel it, but it seems a bit sweet, smooth and not exactly bittery tasting.

@terrym
That’s great I’ll take a look. I don’t drink fizzy beer, so I won’t be producing any lagers at all. I’m purely a stout and ale drinker. I shall take a look at the calculator for the bottles.

@terrym just wondering as well do you mix the sugar with a little water? If so how much? And do you add this straight to the fermenter and mix it in or add it and leave it a while before bottling? Thanks for your help chap

@terrym just wondering as well do you mix the sugar with a little water? If so how much? And do you add this straight to the fermenter and mix it in or add it and leave it a while before bottling? Thanks for your help chap
You can either batch prime by adding a syrup to the the fermenter and then give it a very gentle stir to mix but not disturb the settled trub, or add syrup first to the bottling bucket and then add beer on top, or add sugar as it comes from a measuring spoon or similar to bottles direct. Some people even make a syrup and syringe into their bottles. For PBs you can make up a syrup or add the sugar as it comes before filling. Its really all down to personal preference.
And you don't need very much water to make the syrup. I usually put about 60-100 ml hot water in a saucepan add my sugar (between 75-100g to suit what I want) and gently stir whilst heating to dissolve the sugar. Then allow to cool when its dissolved.

Latest posts

Back