Stainless Steel Fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you get better beer if you ferment in stainless steel?

• Yes

• No

• Don't know

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
@MashBag

here's another option, ideal for Fosters etc.
urinal keg.JPG

So how many of us drink out of plastic glasses.
As we all have a glass of some sort in the house we tend not to choose to drink from a plastic "glass" most of us brew in a plastic FV as a SS FV is an expensive option but one I imagine all of us would choose if they were only £10 dearer than a plastic FV.

Last edited:
Marie Curie had a bottle of Uranium right next to her bed.

I have to be vague because I cannot provide evidence (I don't work in that field). But there have been many voices of concern for well over a decade.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

The shiny argument holds ;D

I have to be vague because I cannot provide evidence (I don't work in that field). But there have been many voices of concern over well over a decade.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear
I never worry about hearing fear, uncertainty and don't [edit: I meant doubt] - it doesn't bother me. I listen to science and experts who understand it better than I do.

Last edited:
Marie Curie had a bottle of Uranium right next to her bed.
Very useful as a nightlight I'm sure but she did die of radiation induced disease ( not cancer).

Microplastics are certainly an issue but most water pipe is plastic, how do you filter the plastic out before you brew or cook in your shiny stainless steel and then drink out of your glass or metal tankard? We don't but it has cut down on lead poisoning.

As we all have a glass of some sort in the house we tend not to choose to drink from a plastic "glass" most of us brew in a plastic FV as a SS FV is an expensive option but one I imagine all of us would choose if they were only £10 dearer than a plastic FV.
That's a good point.

I brew mainly (hugely) in plastic. But the contact time is short, but I store in glass (bottles) and stainless tanks.

I have more recently been fermenting in the all-in-one successfully. Which reminds me, I have yeast to pitch in the braumeister today.

For me it certainly isn't a taste thing, it's weight, convenience and portability... But cost. Yeah absolutely that's a factor too!

I don't tolerate people who tell me DON'T! because quite frankly who do they think they are? It's very rude to bark orders at someone when you're only an armchair expert. Anyone who does that to me gets blocked 😂
Well as long as you can spot and respect the real experts that's fine.

Very useful as a nightlight I'm sure but she did die of radiation induced disease ( not cancer).

Microplastics are certainly an issue but most water pipe is plastic, how do you filter the plastic out before you brew or cook in your shiny stainless steel and then drink out of your glass or metal tankard? We don't but it has cut down on lead poisoning.

You might run into issues at higher temperatures or once the lining is damaged. See the sources above.

Up to you though.

It's worth taking note esp when deciding between plastic buckets and stainless steel -- which is the context of this ask.

I'd go for stainless.

You might run into issues at higher temperatures or once the lining is damaged. See the sources above.

Up to you though.

It's worth taking note esp when deciding between plastic buckets and stainless steel -- which is the context of this ask.

I'd go for stainless.

I've decided to try and move away from plastic completely, but it's going to take me a while.

Most people will disagree and that's fine, but that is my preference.

Latest posts

Back