Star San Five Star

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
Is this steriliser as good as some say it is. I have never used it before, do any of you recommend it.

I have used a couple of sterilisers, star san works and it does not smell of chemicals like some of them do

I've just bought some ..small bottle, but it says about an egg cup full to five gallons ,, or there abouts, so it lasts for ages as you don't mix a lot,
Question though,
Do you guys reuse it.?
The other stuff I used ,I rinsed clean Dj's then poured it away,I'm lead to be leave ,with Star san you can pour it in to a bottle and save it for next time? Is that right?

I've just bought some ..small bottle, but it says about an egg cup full to five gallons ,, or there abouts, so it lasts for ages as you don't mix a lot,
Question though,
Do you guys reuse it.?
The other stuff I used ,I rinsed clean Dj's then poured it away,I'm lead to be leave ,with Star san you can pour it in to a bottle and save it for next time? Is that right?

yes you can reuse it as long as the ph is 3 or below.

link to details.....

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanTech-HB2.pdf

I don't reuse it but I don't brew very often, maybe once a month.
I might have to give saniclean a go, as even though I know the foam has no effect on the beer I still rinse the foam away

I would get the bubbles out as far as they go and to end of your limited patience by gravity. However patient you are, it will be fine.:thumb:

I suggest you get one of those garden spray bottles and a syringe to measure 1 to 2 ml of StarSan per 1 ltr of water. This gives a very handy spray sanitiser for things like hydrometers, syphone tubes etc.

I get a 5l bottle of ashbeck from tesco and put 8ml in with a syringe. Slosh around to mix then good to go. Top up sprayer bottle from this stock.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

The foam is GOOD!! it prolongs contact with the surfaces and when in the FV breaks down to useful building blocks for the yeast,

While starsan is very effective against bacteria its less toxic to wild yeast, a more comprehensive sanitiser used with milk handelling equipment is PAA http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LITRE-P...-FOOD-MACHINERY-PLANT-SANITISER-/201389774939

I currently use Starsan I am considering switching to PAA but it requires a little more care when handling, and is a nasty irritant when vapourised/sprayed so a mask would be a wise precaution if sprayed like starsan. Also it can decompose giving off a vinegar smell needing a vented cap or left unscrewed, based on what ive read only..,

It is quite simply essential. Imho pour excess off leave rest.

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Tapatalk

Where is the best / cheapest source for Star San?

There are few different sizes of bottles.

The smaller 236ml bottle will last an age - you use 8ml per 5 litre batch and can re-use that mixed batch a number of times.

Geterbrewed have it for £10.45 - plus don't forget the forum members 5% discount code:http://www.geterbrewed.com/starsan-236ml/

Worth buying a few other bits if you need any to spread the delivery cost.

I get a 5l bottle of ashbeck from tesco and put 8ml in with a syringe. Slosh around to mix then good to go. Top up sprayer bottle from this stock.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

This, the reason being that Ashbeck is quite acidic, so the star san stays good for longer.

Do you rinse the bubbles away or just leave them as they are.

I suppose you could get as much bubbles out as you wish but to be honest I am too lazy and impatient for this. I just fill/bottle/whatever with the foam and I haven't tasted any change to end flavour as a result.

Latest posts

Back