Storing beer in shed problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelsy81

Reaction score
I have been storing my bottled beers in my shed for a few months with no problems. I have just been down there to get myself a couple of bottles and noticed that some of them have mould spots starting to grow on them. Poured myself one and it looks and tastes fine so I dont think the mould is inside, I sterilise thouroughly. There is condensation on the bottles so Im guessing as there must be a mould source in the shed I am going to have to store them inside until I can sort this. Is it ok to store your homebrew inside until you want to drink it? If so do I need to cool it for a couple of weeks then bring it inside? Will this affect the quality of the beer? A bit worried about this so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I would think that the mould is on the outside of the bottle. If I leave a bit of the label on my bottles they go mouldy. Doesn't effect the beer

I had that on my very first batch.. it was on the outside.. basically When I bottled my first batch it was messy and spilling all down teh sides.. I obvioulsy didn't wipe them down on the outside but it was harmless to the beer

Mould will usually grow anywhere in the right temperature and humidity conditions, inside or out.
The mould spores have obviously found some beer residue on your bottles to feast on.
I would just wipe down the outside of your bottles with Starsan or similar to get rid of the mould and sugary residue if it worries you and continue to leave them in the shed in the cool.
However if you bring them back inside it won't do them any harm whatsoever.
My all year round beer store is the back of the garage and that closely follows outside ambient temperatures and I have had no problems in the summer when temperatures can be above 25*C. If I want a cold beer I put one in the fridge a while before serving.
There is virtually no chance of the mould spores getting into your bottles. First they have got to get past the cap, and if there was a way in, there is a way out and your bottles would have vented to outside first and your beer would be flat, which I am sure it is not.
Next time you bottle some beer I suggest you clean the outside of the bottles thoroughly before consigning to your shed to minimise the chance of mould growth on the bottle outer surfaces.

Thanks for the advice guys, I have some sterilising wipes so will give them all a wipe down and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back