Suggestions for a small extract based NEIPA?

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

RustyV8

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a bunch of bottles just begging to be filled - but i've only enough empties to accommodate a 10-12ltr brew.
Id love to try a fruity NEIPA - but i'm still only doing LME can brews so far. with some hops additions. Id be happy to try an extract + hopps experiment, I could probably even manage a mini-mash or steep I think (even though its only brew #3)

So does anyone have an easy NEIPA recipe I could try for a half batch they could share with me please? Something that can all be done in a single FV would be great - cause ive only got 1 :-)

All suggestions appreciated!
Alan

dad_of_jon

Beer designer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
These are the closest I've come to neipa's

05/02/2018 - fake neipa - gold top - brew 38
1kg dme
2kg dwe
450g gs
wb06
15/02/2018
100g each of cascade, Amarillo & galaxy
1.009 at 19 - 6.3
use less dwe and more dme.

or

17/02/2020 brew 56 - no-gaarden - belgian wit - silver
100g tettnanger 10 min boil - 30 mins flameout
2.5 kg wheat malt extract
750g gs
2 litres orange juice asda from concentrate
mj belgian m21 wit yeast.
21.5 litres pitched at 23c
1.060-1.012 = 6.3%

again less dwe and more dme

The first gets the fruitiness from the hops the second from the orange juice 🙂

RustyV8

Reaction score
Thanks for that @dad_of_jon ....... that first recipe looks interesting.
- Guessing those quantities for a 23ltr brew? Can I simply half everything for 12ltrs?
- I'm assuming the GS is granulated sugar?
- How/When did you introduce those hops? al dry hopped after a few days or did you boil any of the DME with hops ?

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- Guessing those quantities for a 23ltr brew? Can I simply half everything for 12ltrs?
- How/When did you introduce those hops? al dry hopped after a few days or did you boil any of the DME with hops ?
GS will be golden syrup I assume due to the weight stated for it.

dad_of_jon

Beer designer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
21.5 litres - and GS is golden syrup - yes you half every thing apart from the boil times and maybe the yeast but if you sprinkle a full packet on top theres less of an overpitch because you lose some yeast with a sprinkling rather than re-hydrating. So if I was rehydrating yeast i'd half the amount, but if sprinkling i'd use the whole packet.

There is a whole debate about re-hydrating or not, generally for low gravity beers it's not a big deal.

RustyV8

Reaction score
Thanks again. I’m assuming it’s just a 60min boil?
And what about the hops additions? Did you add to the boil and when, or tea or just dry hop later?

sorry for all the questions- still new to all this.

dad_of_jon

Beer designer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I boiled the cascade in around 4 litres of water for 10 mins then turned of the heat and let them stew/cool down for 30. then using a nylon hop bag stretched over the fv strained them with another 6 litres of water. no need to boil any extract. I use bottled water and kept the rest in the fridge. then there's enough water in the fv to stir the Dried extract in. Also I placed the golden syrup bottle in a pan of warm water to make it easier to pour in. Then I topped up to 21.5 liters (not added 21.5litres) the other hops were dry hopped for 5 days after the air lock stopped bubbling.

the bottled water in the fridge pretty much gets you to pitching temp of around 21c

RustyV8

Reaction score
Super.. thanks... that all seems fairly straightforward 👍

RustyV8

Reaction score
@dad_of_jon ... as you have total 300g of hops in that recipe, just wondering how bitter this turned out? I know the NEIPA recipes call for a lot of hops but I’m just not a fan if they are too bitter.😊

RustyV8

Reaction score
@dad_of_jon , regarding yeast for the above Neipa. The only thing I have on hand is a 125ml bag of Wyeast London Ale III. Would a full bag of yeast be way too much for as I’m halving the recipe?

Latest posts