TC with ale yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrig

Banned
Reaction score
I've just mixed 4L of Tesco juice in too a 5L water bottle and some ale yeast from a local brewery. I plan to add a litre of blueberry or cherry juice which are my usual favourites.

OG-1.045

I'm hoping it'll be a little less dry than the usual wine yeast.

If it looks promising in a month or so I'll pitch the yeast in to 25L. If its a fail then its only ~£2 lost

I've used Munton's Gold ale yeast in TC. One chap declared it tasted like champagne, but he was clearly mad.

Champagne sounds good... I'm not expecting anything great but im sure I'll pitch the yeast in to a bigger one.

I may have pitched too much this time, as its bubbling away already

I doubt it all the sugar in cider is fermentable so it should ferment right down.

Champagne yeast is what most strains of cider yeast are.

I'm not expecting anything miraculous, maybe a mess in the kitchen having forgot to put the DJ in an empty pan :lol:, but im sure it'll be a bit different. I may have been a little drunk when I mixed it all together on a whim....

Chrig is you want any Old rosie yeast /mlf culture I have a DJ with a pile in festering upstairs. PM me if you want some. :thumb:

Much appreciated, but its time i tried again to culture some

I've tried before for my first TC and it became infected, but I'm trying to get some more going from the bottle of Tc you gave me(which was excellent!)... The plan is to drink the other one at the weekend and add that in as well, maybe the dregs from one of their 2L bottles will join the party :D.

If it fails again I may be getting in touch but so far so good.

well... as far as residual sweetness goes we may never know :doh: .

In a moment of madness i threw in an entire bottle of raspberry syrup from Tesco :wha:

On the upside, ive got two FV's free now, which means i'm nearly ready for a big batch!

Well there may still be an answer, I used ale yeast on my first TC and not only that I pitched another batch straight on top after I put the first batch in to a KK to mature.

Going to get some proper cider yeast or champaign yeast for the next 2 batches, tried to culture from a bottle on old rose but the hydrometer reading was the same after a week so I assumed it failed.

Fermented out to 1.000 and it tastes rather bloody dry!

I'll leave it another week and bottle.

Old Rosie yeast from a bottle of ga's cider is fermenting away in a 500ml bottle full of apple juice. How much yeast should I have for a 25L batch?

Once the 500ml has stopped, lt the yeast drop then tip it into a DJ with another 4 L. Once this is done then you can add it to another 21L and add 5 tsps of malic acid and 5 tsps of tanin. that should ferment out then leave it in bulk for the MLF to take place over the summer, you should be able to bottle it by the begining of October ready to Wassail on 12th night. :thumb: :thumb:

Many thanks! I've picked up another 4L for the starter, Still 4L for £1 at Tesco in gorton... A nagging in my ear keeps telling me "put it back!" when I fill the trolley :wha: .

Considering i don't ever buy cider then 50L is probably enough of the stuff for this year... besides, i've found myself a few apple trees :D

Just had a crazy thought, what about using a Saison yeast for a TC. Anyone tried it? It might give some interesting spicy notes that could go well with the apple.

Latest posts

Back