The age of the average home brewer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a stove top kit http://www.geterbrewed.com/stove-top-ingredient-kit-single-hop-series-ella/(5 litres).Stick a pot of water on at tea time and bring to around 75 degrees.Put the grains in a muslin bag or a clean pair of tights (ask her permission) and soak for an hour.Remove and sparge with a kettle of pre-boiled water of around 75 degrees.Place lid on pot.Next day after dinner bring pot to boil for one and add hop additions.Takes a max of 20 mins then to cool,place in FV,pitch yeast and you know the rest.Easy peasy:whistle:

The link doesn't work :-(
You bugger you're tempting me.....
Is that soaking for an hour at a constant 75 degrees?
Sparge with the kettle back into the pot?
Next day bring pot to the boil, for an hour?
Cool to normal temps like when I pitch yeast?

Try a stove top kit http://www.geterbrewed.com/stove-top-ingredient-kit-single-hop-series-ella/(5 litres).Stick a pot of water on at tea time and bring to around 75 degrees.Put the grains in a muslin bag or a clean pair of tights (ask her permission) and soak for an hour.Remove and sparge with a kettle of pre-boiled water of around 75 degrees.Place lid on pot.Next day after dinner bring pot to boil for one and add hop additions.Takes a max of 20 mins then to cool,place in FV,pitch yeast and you know the rest.Easy peasy:whistle:

Got the link:thumb:
What size pot? So many questions!:-?

Log into Geterbrewed.com and on the search bar type stove top.On the kits that are showing it will be the fourth on the right.There is a few there so click and look.
This was the first I done but I was greedy and added 2kg of liquid malt extract to the wort and topped up to 20 litres in the FV.It was lovely.:thumb:

30, bang on. Started brewing double IPA at 29, never looked back...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

51...started at 14, Boots lager kits when we were at school, used to pop into my mates house for a crafty pint on the cross country run :whistle: .....didn't resume until 45, kids and so not going out so decided to bring the pub to me :grin:

I'm 42, started about 6 months ago. A few kits to start, 1 extract brew then brew in a bag all grain. I've found I can brew things I like better with the all grain

Most of us are late 20s to mid 40s
figure_1.png

Wow your efficient.:thumb:

That's really cool. If Dutto claims oldest member then I think I might be able claim youngest member :lol:

It awesome to see quite a wide spectrum of everyone and how for most of us it all started with kit.

Like a lot of you guys I did a kit when I was 15 with some mates. It was easier to brew at home than get served in a pub :mrgreen:

This is probabaly a little biased, most "older" people are less likely to have seen or replied to this thread as they just aren't as glued to their phones/tablet/social media as we are.

I am 58 and have been brewing second time around for a little over 3 years now. Have progressed from the kits (Coopers in the main) through soaking some steeping grains and adding hops onto full All Grain brewing.

I started at around 22, living at home with my parents in a house with room for experiments and did extract beer from DME and hops, with lots of sugar and wine from all sorts of stuff.

The beer kits now available are really good and will make you beer at least as good as cans with a little attention to cleaning, sanitising and a bit of patience.

Partial Mash will give you you beer as good as you can generally buy and AG will get you beer as suited to your own tastes as you can imagine.

Fortunately, both my tastes and imagination are fairly limited and I think the sort of recipe from the Greg Hughes book works for me.

Yep,
Pretty much echo this post.
Cheap kits in the early eighties, Geordie and the like with mixed results. More of a financial necessity than the quest for good beer ,hey, I lived in Yorkshire, but the beer was still too dear, young wife, kids, mortgage etc....
Now live in Scotland where the beer is just about becoming acceptable but still feel the need to brew my own.
Now doing AG BIAB with some remarkable results.
Loving it :thumb:

This is probabaly a little biased, most "older" people are less likely to have seen or replied to this thread as they just aren't as glued to their phones/tablet/social media as we are.

Cheeky young whipper snapper, us old folk like our new tec, some of us didn't have trouble setting the video to record in the old days. :wink: :lol:

44 started 12 months ago did 3 kit beers and did not enjoy them so straight into AG
Done 8 out of Greg hughes book ( great book highly recomend) and 4 of my own recipes of which I'm very pleased with the results

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That is bringing your strike water to 75 degrees.Place your grains in the pot which in theory should take your temp to around 67/68 degrees,cover the pot with blanket/coat etc and soak for an hour.
At 30 mins boil a kettle and let it cool whislt you are mshhing and temp should come down to around 75 degrees there abouts.
Remove the grains and place in a collander over the pot and gently pour the contents of the kettle all over the grains,remove and cover with clingfilm and then place the lid.
Next day bring pot to the boil,add hop additions which shall be teabags if it's Geterbrewed.The times will be eg.60 is start of boil,45 is 15 mins into boil,30 mins is halfway 15 is 45 mins into boil and 0 mins is the end of the boil(flameout).
You will also get some carageenan(finings) which should be added at 10 mins (50 mins into the boil).
Place pot in the sink with the plug out and a dish cloth placed over the plughole and run the cold water to cool and whilst doing this keep adjusting the flow on the tap until it levels the water just below the overflow on the sink and does not rise above.This will give you a constant flow of cold water without having to remove the pot to add cold water and add ice or cold blocks if you like to the water.
Once cooled to hand touch remove and place in the fermenter making sure there is 5 1/2 litres then pitch yeast when at 18/20 degrees.
If you want to bump up the volume add 2kg of liquid malt extract to the wort which can be added between 15 mins and flameout making sure to remove the pot temporarily from the flame to prevent scorching and top up FV to 20 litres.:thumb:

33, couple of month in the game though I've done infusions much longer.

Took it up as love cooking and preserving using things I've grown and making my first cider in the summer seemed sensible progression.

Had I known that would lead to boiling cups of tea for WOW's I'd have... nah... I'd still do it !

Back