The all rounders are no more

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day i was doing some cleaning and i gave the 2 all rounders a good inspection, i found 2 stress fractures one near the bottom were i presume it comes off the mould, the other one was on the shoulder near the handles, both these units are well over 2 years old and have been well used, so i decided to get rid i know i could have kept them and used them as just a fermenter but were is the fun in that. so it's back to plastic for now while i look at options

Gotta be stainless imo. PET is a false economy as impossible to clean, and have a "use by date", rather than lasting indefinitely.

Gotta be stainless imo. PET is a false economy as impossible to clean, and have a "use by date", rather than lasting indefinitely.
I had a £10 plastic fermenter that lasted 15 years.
I upgraded to a steel one a few years ago for £150.

At that rate, I could have lasted 150 years on plastic before it became a false economy 😂

Plastic pressure fermenters are not £10 now. Same price as refurb kegs.

They're specifically referring to PET as a pressure vessel.

It's a shame about the 2 year life span, otherwise they're an attractive proposition.

Last edited:
I think the two year lifespan slightly misleading. Double check, but I think the wording is that "You're required" to have them pressure tested at the two year mark. For example, there is a big difference between a PET fermenter which has done, 50 brews in two years, all at 15psi, moved around full and stored in the light. Compared to one used at 5psi, 10 time, stored in the dark.

My first gen fermzilla got the stress fractures around the neck, still used it loads. It was then highlighted as a manufactures defect and it was replaced free of charge. +1 BrewKegTap.

The old dome makes a good mini green house / frost protector for plants.

Also how many of use use them at their max pressure? None I suggest. I have no intention of testing my fermizilla .

I have also said this before, I recall someone said the handle on the neck can cause issues, so I removed mine.

Last edited:
Yep visual aspect is most important to me. I don't ferment under pressure and have a stainless fermenter but go for the clear all-rounder nearly every time...

Yep visual aspect is most important to me. I don't ferment under pressure and have a stainless fermenter but go for the clear all-rounder nearly every time...
I do wish my stainless fermenter was transparent so that I could see how clear the wort was getting..

We just need this lad on it 😂
1000010188.jpg

Pretty sure my oldest PET one is 4 years old now and is still OK so far.

I will definitely replace when it fails as stainless pressure FVs are very very expensive.

I would never go back to static pressure.

Is it just the being able to see it? Or does the weight and the easy cleaning not play a part in your preference?

Mainly visual. I love seeing the boiling action of active fermentation, plus the different stages of Krausen. Also clarity as I cold crash, and easy estimation of yield looking at the trub level on the bottom. This is important when bottling and calculating volume for carbonation.

Taking samples is more difficult as I have a tap on the s/s fermenter, but I use an iSpindel most times so not really a major issue...

I've never had a transparent fermenter and I always keg via closed transfer, so when I see photos online where people are asking about a pellicle or other interesting infection which ultimately hasn't negatively affected the beer, I often wonder if I've ever had one and just not known about it!

Some interesting posts on here, let me say the reason i got rid i don't fancy 40 pints of pale ale all over the walls and floor. as for cleaning there is nothing easier than an all rounder which leads to would i get another yes if they had a longer life span 2 years is no were near long enough for what they cost, but i suppose from a manufacturing point they don't want loads of claims which is a shame as when you open the fridge door the sight of all those yeastie's doing the sugar dance is rather nice

I guess stress fractures opening and closing with pressure change could be a real issue with sanitation. IF they open up on the inside.

Latest posts

Back