The all rounders are no more

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they would just sell the bubble on its own without the lid, etc. then price would probably not be an issue to most. I'm guessing when people do want to replace it this all they are looking for.

Don't think you should fill the fermenter to the neck.
Only 30 pounds for a fermentasaurus here so I'll keep using them.
Someone in brewclub had a big piece blowout of their fermzilla. But not much beer loss as above the water line

I plan to have a go at pressure fermenting at some point in the future because I have a lager drinker to provide for, but I've already decided I'll save up for a BrewTools mini-uni with the pressure kit. Whilst I appreciate comparing a mini-uni with a pet fermenter is like comparing apples and oranges in terms of the outlay, the mini-uni will last a lifetime and still have a high residual value should I choose to move on from it.

So for me, it'll be an investment rather than money spent, but I do also appreciate that it's a luxury being able to have several hundred tied up in assets rather than just writing off £60.

I’ve had my all rounder for over two years now and have put around 25 brews through it, did a pressure test after my last brew and all is fine with it. Treated with care it will last for another two years, probably even longer if just used for no or low pressure ferments.
I am thinking about getting a stainless Apollo if they ever make it to the UK but still trying to justify the cost difference over a £45 replacement PET vessel.

I looked this up and it is v appealing. How do you plan to move it around though? It has no handles.

It's an interesting question which, to be honest, I hadn't really thought about too hard. I was just imagining hooking it on its wall bracket and filling it in situ, but yes, moving it down and into the kegerator would be interesting!

It's more of a pipe dream anyway. In the first instance, I'll probably just convert a Corny keg with a floating dip tube and give that a go. The beer is likely to get drunk fairly quickly so it wouldn't be sitting on its trub for any length of time.

It's an interesting question which, to be honest, I hadn't really thought about too hard. I was just imagining hooking it on its wall bracket and filling it in situ, but yes, moving it down and into the kegerator would be interesting!

It's more of a pipe dream anyway. In the first instance, I'll probably just convert a Corny keg with a floating dip tube and give that a go. The beer is likely to get drunk fairly quickly so it wouldn't be sitting on its trub for any length of time.
Ah righto, ta. Someone else said you can get an optional triclamp with handles (?) but said it was a pricey option.

https://rb.gy/jvuoi
This an alternative to the pricier Brewtools.

I absolutely love these and was considering getting one at one point, but the lack of a conical bottom is a problem for me. Would prefer that sort. My all-rounder is also kaputt and I definitely don't want another.

Until I can afford something better I'm changing to fermenting in kegs and doing smaller batches.

Gotta be stainless imo. PET is a false economy as impossible to clean, and have a "use by date", rather than lasting indefinitely.
Why is it impossible to clean? I've been using 3 Hop and Grape 7-gallon fermenters for about 15 to 20 years. The only reason I've replaced them is because the lids are in tatters.
I've also got 2 SS fermenters and the beer from one is no better or worse than the beer from the other.
I don't know about PET fermenters as I've never had one, but I've never seen a use by date on any kind of fermenter.
I've replaced the 3 with three new plastic fermenters, by the way.
Edit:
Just read this: makebeereasy.com/pressure-fermentation/
I thought I might have a go just in the interest of science, and I still might as I like a pint of lager (and lime). But I tend to work with the seasons and make all my lagers in the winter for drinking in the summer, which means I might have half a dozen on the go at a time. Could be a bit pricy. I like the idea of bottling carbed beer straight from the fermenter, but I really don't think the costs and the faff give sufficient benefits. I'll stick to my home-made Yorkshire squares (only joking) I think.
I'm not sure I want my lager (and lime) to taste like the commercial stuff either. I can buy that cheaply enough by the slab in Tesco.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back