The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting read - Why is the death toll so high in Italy?

While the new coronavirus can infect people of all ages, older adults, whose immune systems have declined with age, appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill after contracting the virus.

In Italy, 85.6 percent of those who have died were over 70, according to the National Institute of Health's (ISS) latest report.

With 23 percent of Italians over 65 years old, the Mediterannean country has the second-oldest population in the world after Japan - and observers believe age distribution could also have played a role in raising the fatality rate.

Another possible factor is Italy's healthcare system itself, which provides universal coverage and is largely free of charge.

"We have many elderly people with numerous illnesses who were able to live longer thanks to extensive care, but these people were more fragile than others," Galli said, adding that many patients at Sacco Hospital - one of Italy's largest medical centres - who died due to coronavirus were already suffering from other serious diseases.

Read more -

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/italy-coronavirus-fatality-rate-high-200323114405536.html

Ministry of Defence

Soldiers deliver essential equipment to NHS. "What you've seen today is a
convoy delivering Personal Protective Equipment right to the frontline of the nation's response to the Coronavirus challenge - standing side by side with the
@NHSuk
" Brig Phil Prosser.

1585082841280.png
1585082860443.png

I’m told it’s because they are ridiculously efficient at doing things. although I heard India did well at containing it as well
India is similar to China they have experience with dealing with outbreaks like this, I'm sure the governments of the western world are learning how to combat future outbreaks. I would put money on we are really going to have a real humdinger at some stage.

I believe Germany record Covid deaths only when the specific cause of death is Covid. Italy records deaths of anyone who has had Covid but will probably have died of another cause (usually pneumonia).

I've got to go into work today (I'm a community support worker). I wonder if I'll get stopped by the rozzers as I cycle from one side (S.East) of London to the other (S.West)? It's a lovely day in the big smoke for it though - blazing sunshine and relatively warm

I've got to go into work today (I'm a community support worker). I wonder if I'll get stopped by the rozzers as I cycle from one side (S.East) of London to the other (S.West)? It's a lovely day in the big smoke for it though - blazing sunshine and relatively warm
Should be a pleasant ride without much traffic :cool:

Went out for a 6k run this monring about 7am roads woudl normally be rammed but were pretty empty , saw the odd person mooching about but not much at all..

and where I ran was not far literally about a couple of 100 meters from where those idiots in Foleshill had that BBQ!

A big "THANK YOU" to the 170,000 people who have stepped forward in response to a Government plea for volunteers to assist the NHS. You all have my admiration and best wishes.

My own first feelings were ones of guilt that, despite being classed as "vulnerable persons", my wife and I were not in a position to volunteer because we chose over a week ago to "self isolate"!

However, on reflection, we are assisting the NHS by making an attempt to not catch the Covid-19 virus.

If we succeed in avoiding the infection, we will avoid the need for an ambulance, a hospital bed, possibly a ventilator and all of the nursing care and attention that would accompany these things.

Again, the people who have volunteered have my greatest admiration, but please don't feel guilty if you have decided to "self isolate" and cannot volunteer.

You are helping the NHS if you manage to avoid infection by the Covid-19 virus so "Good Luck in your endeavours." 👍

Last edited:
I'm now working at home for the foreseeable, but I had to go into work yesterday to pick up everything I need in order to do my job from home.

There is a large factory opposite me that makes golf equipment. The car park was just as full as it is on any ordinary day. How anyone can describe golf balls as essential is beyond me - especially given that all courses are shut anyway. There were plenty of other companies open as well - with full car parks. Maybe it's just going to take a couple of days to settle down, but there appear to be any number of companies ignoring calls to close.

It’s still a bit ambiguous over what is considered essential. It’s also worth noting that at the moment what has being ordered to close is customers facing non essential business (although I’m not exactly sure how off licenses classify as essential).

Thankfully my employer decided not to be in any way ambiguous and has switched all employees to home working as of Tuesday. Previously it was only mandatory for those of us who used public transport.

PRINCE CHARLES TESTS POSITIVE
Didn't want to start a new thread on this 'cos I can see where it would go.
BUT
How come Charlie Boy can get tested when our front-line NHS professionals can't even get a mask, let alone a test?
Not excatly a "key worker" is he?aheadbutt

Latest posts

Back