The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are saying Trump is saying this stuff to take attention away from the amount of people getting and dying from Covid if he is its a smart move because they have taken the bait.

Shoppers swap clothes for alcohol amid record sales drop

UK retail sales fell a record 5.1% in March as many stores shut up shop in the face of the coronavirus lockdown.

The figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show the steepest sales fall since it started collecting the data in 1996.

Food and online shopping rose, and alcohol sales also jumped. But clothes sales tumbled by 34%.

Online shopping as a proportion of all retail reached a record high of 22%, the ONS said.

"Retailers are in crisis mode as the impact of Covid-19 has obliterated sales to new record-lows," said Richard Lim, chief executive of Retail Economics.

Off-licences, which were added to the government's list of essential UK retailers last month, saw sales rise 31.4% in volume terms, although with most drinkers buying from supermarkets, they only contribute less than 1% of alcohol sales.

The data comes amid dire estimates for the performance of the UK economy amid the lockdown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52408885

I think part of this virus has already mutated, one minute healthy young fit people die very quickly and then others old underlying health issues like the one in later stages of ms shrug it off. It just doesn't make sense if it's the same strain to me.

"Food and online shopping rose, and alcohol sales also jumped. But clothes sales tumbled by 34%."

My missus will be responsible for 33%.

I think part of this virus has already mutated, one minute healthy young fit people die very quickly and then others old underlying health issues like the one in later stages of ms shrug it off. It just doesn't make sense if it's the same strain to me.

@nige - what exactly about these cases tells you that it's not the same strain?

Bear in mind that it's a tiny proportion of young people dying - and either they tend not to be very fit or perhaps have underlying conditions they don't know about or are very late in seeking medical help (like that guy who died in his flat because he didn't want to bother the NHS). Conversely even among the elderly the vast majority will survive (even if it doesn't hit the news headlines) - and people with obvious conditions like MS will already be in regular contact with health services and will be at the front of the queue for the best care. How quickly you access care is a huge factor in outcomes for most diseases (cancer is an obvious example), and you don't have all the details for the cases you quote.

Bear in mind that it's a tiny proportion of young people dying - and either they tend not to be very fit or perhaps have underlying conditions

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.jpg

@nige - what exactly about these cases tells you that it's not the same strain?

Bear in mind that it's a tiny proportion of young people dying - and either they tend not to be very fit or perhaps have underlying conditions they don't know about or are very late in seeking medical help (like that guy who died in his flat because he didn't want to bother the NHS). Conversely even among the elderly the vast majority will survive (even if it doesn't hit the news headlines) - and people with obvious conditions like MS will already be in regular contact with health services and will be at the front of the queue for the best care. How quickly you access care is a huge factor in outcomes for most diseases (cancer is an obvious example), and you don't have all the details for the cases you quote.
I wasn't quoting, I was simply airing my views. Like yourself. It will be sometime before all the facts are established I think.

Anyway I've been listening to Trump and have discovered that IPA kills Covid 19 which I thought was great. But it's Iso Propyl Alcohol 😢

The makers of Dettol have had to put an announcement out telling people not to inject it due to hundreds of enquiries from members of the public asking if it kills Covid-19, how dumb are these people?

So further restrictions been set in Wales but I wish they would word it a bit better as a keen cyclist I can only go a distance which is classed as reasonable walking distance. If I can walk it I would walk it. I have only been doing 23 miles at a time as I found that was fair and it would take me just over an hour at fill pelt. They should just have put a time limit on it. Swear cyclists were going round spreading the virus. On my walk today I witnessed 2 social gatherings and mid week witnessed a street party.

But if you are in London you can all stand on a bridge clapping .

So further restrictions been set in Wales but I wish they would word it a bit better as a keen cyclist I can only go a distance which is classed as reasonable walking distance. If I can walk it I would walk it. I have only been doing 23 miles at a time as I found that was fair and it would take me just over an hour at fill pelt. They should just have put a time limit on it. Swear cyclists were going round spreading the virus. On my walk today I witnessed 2 social gatherings and mid week witnessed a street party.

But if you are in London you can all stand on a bridge clapping .
not more WA insanity? - I cycle on roads 95% of the time, that way no social distancing issues compared with using cycling paths. My own regime is safer IMO than the guidance given by political muppets. e.g I can cycle locally to dunvant 2-3miles on a cycle path and pass say 40 people in 30 mins or I can have a 90 min cycle on road (18 miles) and comes across 4 people (other cyclists).

Haven't heard that what's happened and why?

New set of restrictions in Wales. I think it's because people are complaining that people are cycling from out of their 'area'. As above most cycling and country lanes that you don't encounter anyone but parks etc will remain open for everyone to exercise in.

New set of restrictions in Wales. I think it's because people are complaining that people are cycling from out of their 'area'. As above most cycling and country lanes that you don't encounter anyone but parks etc will remain open for everyone to exercise in.

Thanks.

So further restrictions been set in Wales but I wish they would word it a bit better as a keen cyclist I can only go a distance which is classed as reasonable walking distance. If I can walk it I would walk it. I have only been doing 23 miles at a time as I found that was fair and it would take me just over an hour at fill pelt. They should just have put a time limit on it. Swear cyclists were going round spreading the virus.

Remember that next time you get whipped into a frenzy by a newspaper demanding that Something Must Be Done - because it's a pretty good rule that anything a newspaper wants is going to make for a bad law. This is what law-by-newspaper-headline looks like - the politicians perceive a problem with second-homers and so they end up making laws like this. I've seen it loads of times in different areas. However, your rule of "where can I go within an hour" is sensible - and in any case would it really be the end of the world if you did 2 laps of 10 miles? The unofficial "clarification" is on Walesonline :

"People will have to stay within their local area, which means for example that people cannot go for exercise outside that area. No specific distance has been set but we understand, for example, that if someone is found cycling more than 20 miles from their home, this would not be seen as within their local area. "

Remember that next time you get whipped into a frenzy by a newspaper demanding that Something Must Be Done - because it's a pretty good rule that anything a newspaper wants is going to make for a bad law. This is what law-by-newspaper-headline looks like - the politicians perceive a problem with second-homers and so they end up making laws like this. I've seen it loads of times in different areas. However, your rule of "where can I go within an hour" is sensible - and in any case would it really be the end of the world if you did 2 laps of 10 miles? The unofficial "clarification" is on Walesonline :

"People will have to stay within their local area, which means for example that people cannot go for exercise outside that area. No specific distance has been set but we understand, for example, that if someone is found cycling more than 20 miles from their home, this would not be seen as within their local area. "

I think the shortest circular route around mine is 10 miles, will be doing a few of those.

Latest posts

Back