The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sort of thing keeps cropping up on the benefits of maintaining Vitamin D levels. For those confined to a flat, who can't get out in the sunshine, perhaps a supplement is the way forward:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170216110002.htm
and this one is a bit weird: it seems to suggest that smokers have a better chance of dealing with covid-19 even if they're going to succumb to other equally dreadful illnesses. Interestingly, as a kid, I had a hacking cough every winter which kept me awake most of the night for days on end. As soon as I started smoking, in the middle of one of these episodes, it stopped, never to return. Nevertless, I'm not ready to reach for the Old Holborn and liquorice papers just yet.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus
I think you have your wires crossed there.
They have come out to say Nicotine Patches may combat Covid-19 but smoking will just add to one's susceptibility of dying from it.

So we can now get tested if you are a key worker, is this if you have symptoms as I don't see the point in having the test if you haven't as you could get it the next day making the test pointless (unless you are having it every day)

So we can now get tested if you are a key worker, is this if you have symptoms as I don't see the point in having the test if you haven't as you could get it the next day making the test pointless (unless you are having it every day)
As I understand it it's if you are symptomatic or live with someone who is

More Trump crazyness. Anyone fancy an injection of disinfectant?

"US President Donald Trump has been lambasted by the medical community after suggesting research into whether coronavirus might be treated by injecting disinfectant into the body."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177
Inspired by the Orange Man, I'm working on a Jeyes Fluid Porter as we speak. You know it makes sense.
The future's Orange.

It could work, cyanide works on cancer.

But do they inject patients with it though?

From what I just heard on the radio American Whitehouse scientists are suggestin UV light and disinfectant can kill C-19 but Trump has obviously misunderstood and jumped the gun by suggesting C-19 patients be injected with disinfectant

But do they inject patients with it though?
/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter how its administered it stops cancer in its tracks, as it does the patient. As Steve from the US has stated Trump is not good at public speaking sometimes he should keep his trap shut. He is someone who listens to headlines without reading and understanding the article.
He should heed the advice of Aristotle, be a free thinker and don't heed everything you hear. (in modern times read, like the Guardian)wink...

@foxy

What I really meant, does arsenic kill cancer in the body (and cure people) or is it something that only works in a petridish in the lab?

Your right, Trump should keep his gob shut. As the saying goes, 'it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt'

@foxy

What I really meant, does arsenic kill cancer in the body (and cure people) or is it something that only works in a petridish in the lab?

Your right, Trump should keep his gob shut. As the saying goes, 'it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt'
Kill the patient and you kill cancer, there is an ongoing research into drugs useful for the fight against cancer, drugs which have been used in the past, I think it is the Swiss which are doing the research. Thalidomide is one, drugs used in HIV another, I think I read Polio vaccine is another.

The FT recon the actual death rate is over 40,000 ashock1

The coronavirus pandemic has already caused as many as 41,000 deaths in the UK, according to a Financial Times analysis of the latest data from the Office for National Statistics. The estimate is more than double the official figure of 17,337 released by ministers on Tuesday, which is updated daily and only counts those who have died in hospitals after testing positive for the virus. The FT extrapolation, based on figures from the ONS that were also published on Tuesday, includes deaths that occurred outside hospitals updated to reflect recent mortality trends

https://www.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-3d05-43bc-ba03-e239799fa6ab

Will probably get rid of some of the Darwin award candidates in America.

Will probably get rid of some of the Darwin award candidates in America.

The thing is at least one Trump fanatic will try it. Remember Trumps last medical recommendation, Hydroxycholoquine (Trump apparently has shares in this company. I wonder if he has shares domestos :laugh8: ). A husband and wife poisoned themselves taking a similar chemical thats used to tread fish parasites (sadly the man died)

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-chloroquine-self-medication-kills-man.html

I think what the bumbling orange man was referring to is something that was said when this first broke out and that was that once we get into summer and the temperatures rise above 26c the virus will die, i have no idea if that is the case but it was discussed at the time.

Will the covid-19 outbreak caused by the new coronavirus fade as the northern hemisphere warms up? This has been suggested by some researchers and repeated by some political leaders, including US president Donald Trump, but we simply don’t know if it is the case.

“We absolutely don’t know that,” says Trudie Lang at the University of Oxford. “I keep asking virologist colleagues this and nobody knows.”

“So when you hear people say the weather will warm up and it will just disappear, it’s a very unhelpful generalisation,” she says.

This is essentially what Trump said on 10 February. “The heat, generally speaking, kills this kind of virus,” he told a meeting. “A lot of people think that goes away in April as the heat comes in.”

Trump isn’t the only politician to make this sort of claim. The UK’s health secretary, Matt Hancock, told ITV reporter Tom Clarke last week that the hope was to slow the spread of the virus so it reaches the UK in spring and summer when coronaviruses, of which the new virus is just a specific example, are less transmissible.

It is thought the virus can survive for up to four days on surfaces. Some researchers, including Paul Hunter at the University of East Anglia, UK, do think the new coronavirus won’t survive for so long in warmer conditions.

Read more: Will the covid-19 coronavirus outbreak die out in the summer’s heat?

“The heat, generally speaking, kills this kind of virus,” he told a meeting. “A lot of people think that goes away in April as the heat comes in.”

Trump isn’t the only politician to make this sort of claim. The UK’s health secretary, Matt Hancock, told ITV reporter Tom Clarke last week that the hope was to slow the spread of the virus so it reaches the UK in spring and summer when coronaviruses, of which the new virus is just a specific example, are less transmissible.

At the moment it's a hope but nothing more. The trouble is that the advantage of being the new virus on the block with lots of hosts not immune will probably outweigh the effects of temperature in the first summer at least. See this from the Harvard professor of epidemiology.

Latest posts

Back