Those bloody Grainfather silicone seals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to say this but at nearly£700 for a product where the opposition is not much more than half the price you should really be asking for Grainfather for a FREE solution
I absolutely agree 100% with you but you would probably have more success breeding cows with ducks than you would in getting a solution from grainfather let alone a free one.

Last edited:
What I did with my overflow pipe when using one was put a bazooka on the top. When I gave the overflow pipe the Tijuana I secured the top and bottom screens at the bottom of the malt pipe.

005.JPG

006.JPG

Last edited:
They've brought out rolled-edge plates to replace the silicone ones. I presume these will come with the GF by default now, but a (rather expensive) upgrade for existing owners at around £58-60.

0005220_grainfather-g30-rolled-plates-kit-1.jpeg

I think I must be one of the lucky ones. I've never had a problem with mine. Maybe my grain basket is slightly larger, or the plates are slightly smaller. A quick dunk in the strike liquor, and the plate slid straight in first time. Installed in about 5 seconds.
Grainfather was bought early 2021

I've never really understood the reason for the seals anyway. The bottom plate is full of holes, so why does it matter if a little wort makes its way around the plate rather than through it? 🤷‍♂️

I see the latest for the G30, v3 now doesn't even have plates! Just a basket with a lot of holes! Lucky sods! 😅 I haven't even managed to upgrade to the rolled plates. I still just curse on brew day!

I've never really understood the reason for the seals anyway. The bottom plate is full of holes, so why does it matter if a little wort makes its way around the plate rather than through it? 🤷‍♂️
The bottom plate falls through, I once dumped all the grain back into the vessel when lifting pipe out to sparge

Back