To pimp up or not to pimp up?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin9

Reaction score
So I've just dipped my toe back into brewing, never had success with making beer but now have a lot more free time to give it the time it needs. To get back into the game the other day I started off a Wherry kit. Today I brought a Wilko IPA, I've since read reviews where its suggested to add hops etc. As it can be lacking in body or taste. It's only my 2nd brew in ages so should I just go via the instructions to get a feel for it or should I add extras?
Thanks in advance.

So I've just dipped my toe back into brewing, never had success with making beer but now have a lot more free time to give it the time it needs. To get back into the game the other day I started off a Wherry kit. Today I brought a Wilko IPA, I've since read reviews where its suggested to add hops etc. As it can be lacking in body or taste. It's only my 2nd brew in ages so should I just go via the instructions to get a feel for it or should I add extras?
Thanks in advance.

That rather depends what you are looking for in the way of results. Premium kits that come with double the amount of malt extract (e.g. Youngs American IPA) and a decent amount of dry hops (not a token 10 or 15 grams) are going to make a much better beer than a single can kit. You can definitely improve the body and flavour of a kit by pimping with more liquid malt extract or spay malt or a beer kit enhancer and you are know what you need to do if want a big hop character.

Of course you can try making a one can kit according to the instructions to see whether you are happy with the beer it produces or to learn what you might like to change next time. Although I would still make it with a bit less water than instructed.

The Wherry kit is two can and produces a delightful malty ale, I wouldn’t pimp it personally.
The Wilko IPA will definitely be improved with further hops, even just 50g added 50% during fermentation and 50% after, or all after. 100g even better.

As Badger says always brew the kit as a standard kit first so you can use it as a control/base before adding to it.
Maybe brew all the one can kits a little short to boost the body taste slightly on the first brew

Thanks for the replys.
Deffo looking at the coopers recipes seem nice and easy for a beginner.
Finally would you suggest just buying some cheap PET bottles to start until I get proper into it?

Thanks for the replys.
Deffo looking at the coopers recipes seem nice and easy for a beginner.
Finally would you suggest just buying some cheap PET bottles to start until I get proper into it?
Drink it straight from the fermentation vessel 😜

Seriously I would suggest repurposed glass beer or cider bottles (ask a pub?) and getting yourself a cheap capper. Less expensive and probably less environmental impact 👍

BTW, pimp away is my advice. I was lucky in that the first kit I did was Young's American IPA. It got me hooked. I reckon if I'd started with Wherry (sorry, don't get the appeal, it's such a tasteless boring beer) or a one can 'kit and kilo' I'm not sure I'd have stuck with it 👍

I’ve only started since December and so far have done 11 kits. The premium kits are incredible and don’t require any tweaking. I’ve also done a couple of kits where I added extra hops LME or DME. The end result has been fantastic. Get 500ml glass bottles and a capper. I got most of my bottles from recycling centers.

Thanks again for the help.
So if I reused 330ml budwieser bottles would I prime batch or do each bottle?

Thanks again for the help.
So if I reused 330ml budwieser bottles would I prime batch or do each bottle?
Assuming that you don't have a bottling bucket (a second fermentation vessel) the easiest way is probably a funnel and one of those kitchen measuring spoons (you can get sets of varying measures). You probably want about half a teaspoon of table sugar per bottle.

There's loads of threads on here about how to prime though, so you could browse them. Beware - lots of differing, and firmly held, opinions on this subject

I did nothing BUT Wherry at first. It was good and popular. Then I wanted a stronger beer abv and taste wise

Then I went on to Nelsons and Admirals and did 6 Admirals in a row - brilliant

Then I got 2 Wherrys as gifts and thought I will beef them up and simply added 454g of LME [Holland & Barrett] and wow what a difference. Recommended

I wanted to have a crack at the bonfire toffee stout on the website but alas its sold out already

Today I brought a Wilko IPA, I've since read reviews where its suggested to add hops etc. As it can be lacking in body or taste.

If it's their cheapest £12 one, I did this a few weeks ago to see what the cheapest beer I could do would be like. I did it as per instructions, worked out to about 30p per bottle. I use it as a gnat's p**s lager substitute for a friend who only drinks Carling and Carlsberg (don't get me started!).

Firstly , go the extra and buy premium kits - they are worth it, and it's still a cheap way of buying 40 pints...my personal favourite is Festival Razorback IPA. You can dry hop at any time.

Erm has this gone bad??

Attachments

• 20210828_143520.jpg
    20210828_143520.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 52
Back