Two quickies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morebeer

Reaction score
I am planning my second brew for this weekend and have a couple of quick questions for you regular brewers.

1. in G.W's book he includes sugar in a lot of the recipes.... should the sugar be included as part of the total grain bill when using the recipe calculator? :hmm:

2. Just bottled my 1st brew this afternoon and wondered what the best temperature was for storing bottled bitter ..... I bottled 41 bottles of Gale's Butser Bitter? :hmm:

Yes sugar is to be included in the grain bill. Most brewing software lists is as Cane Sugar.

For bottled beer storage the temps need to be around 10-12 degrees if possible, a nice cool cellar or garage.The beer does not want to be chilled at any time. More important is that the temperature is steady not ranging from cold to warm.

i would agree that suagr is v useful for priming-if doing a wheat beer i learned that keeping some of the wort is better though- darker sugars are also useful for flavours in some brews.

as for temps i like this time of year as it allows me to crash cool me ales so all the yeast and stuff hits the bottom fast- after its well done fermenting of course- this can allow u to skip the secondary but is probably not best practice- i also like to put my beers back to this temp after they are well primed to let the heavy proteins in my beer(that cause chill haze) to sink down- this is the only way atm i get a proper clear pint- i do belive this means they mature less quickly but time isnt a problem atm

Latest posts

Back