Using Pineapple in a IPA ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Any help advise on using Pineapple in a IPA or other tropical fruits and where best to buy and how much?

Wondered if it would give pineapple taste or just ferment out ? also heard that pineapple can give a bad hangover anybody know

A common way to get fruit flavours into a beer is to soak it in vodka for a few days and pour it in. I imagine this would work with chopped up pineapple too.

Any help advise on using Pineapple in a IPA or other tropical fruits and where best to buy and how much?

The only thing I can add is that in South Africa they make Pineapple beer which is made by just chucking in pineapple skins , water, sugar and some yeast - I understand that in some cases people don't add yeast as the natural yeasts present on the pineapple will start the fermentation. I made some with bread yeast and it kept its pineapple taste but I wonder if you might introduce "wild" yeasts as well...

I've heard people talk about using 1-2lb of fruit per US gallon, so that would be about 1.2 - 2.4KG per 10L.

If it works let us know.

Back