What all grain set up is better?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just lots of sleeping bags and insulative things like duvets to wrap around it to hold the mash temp. For ages I mashed and boiled in my brupacks boiler. It's an ideal starter for AG on it's own, just sparge through into a FV then when you've finished empty and rinse it then tip it all back into the boiler (I even reused the mashing bag stretched over the top to contain the hops during the boil and weighed it down with a mug). It never made a bad beer.

boozy_shoes said:
Just lots of sleeping bags and insulative things like duvets to wrap around it to hold the mash temp. For ages I mashed and boiled in my brupacks boiler. It's an ideal starter for AG on it's own, just sparge through into a FV then when you've finished empty and rinse it then tip it all back into the boiler (I even reused the mashing bag stretched over the top to contain the hops during the boil and weighed it down with a mug). It never made a bad beer.

why BIAB instead of all grain? is their a benefit other than cost?

I want a pretty good set u p

yushinoka said:
boozy_shoes said:

why BIAB instead of all grain? is their a benefit other than cost?

I want a pretty good set u p

BIAB done this way is slightly more efficient than ordinary BIAB (as you get a proper sparge) and is just a small all grain set up. This way takes up minimal space and still gives you all the recipe flexibility. The only reason I stopped mashing in my brupacks boiler was because I found a jam maker in Lidl's non-food sale for a fiver that does the same job. This allows me to use my boiler as an HLT to warm my sparge water up before using it as a boiler.

Be aware that, assuming you are in the UK, when ordering from outside the EU you are liable for VAT and the carriers handling charge for collecting that VAT.

I think that VAT is payable on both the item amount and delivery charge, and IIRC UPS charge £11 for collecting the VAT

So it would be more like a little over £200.

For a mash tun why not try:
Two fermentation bins one inside the other. The inner one has holes drilled in its base to make the false bottom. The outer one has a tap near the bottom with a scavenger pipe that sits under the inner bucket. All this is wrapped in an insulation blanket or the like.

Or use a cooler with a scavenger pipe in the bottom. Again wrap in a blanket or insulation.

Both are cheap and effective and will last for ages.

F

Back