What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kicking the weekend off a bit early today. @samale sent me his coconut porter which i have been chomping at the bit to try.

this one poured a nice dark brown, seems to be a bit light on the carbonation. has a small head that fades quickly to nothing.

aroma is a surprise, i was expecting roasty or caramel but this one smells a lot like a sour ale not a typical porter. it meshes in between a lactic sour and a vitamin c type of aroma, and then has a bit of orange, tropical and maybe coconut? if it was not titled coconut porter i am not sure i would have gone there from the smell. and finally a little leathery smell at the end, very light on the malt side and no roast at all.

taste wise it starts out a bit like a brown ale from the cask, but immediately shifts to a medium tart sour that lingers for a good 5 seconds. has a good level of bitterness but i am not getting any hops in the flavour, but there is some citrus just not sure from what. the roastiness shows up on the back end and mingles with the bitterness for a while. i'm curious if you used that kveik you had from the stout for this one?

so this one was really not what i was expecting. it has a lot of similarities to the german porter i brewed but it drinks a lot more like a flanders brown than a porter. although it's much more sour than the porter i brewed, reminds me more of rodenbach grand cru, where mine is more orval, but i am sure there is some type of brett in there. i have to admit at first taste i was taken aback by it, but once i adjusted my perspective that it was a sour beer i quite enjoyed it. personal preference wise i might have liked a little more maltiness or body to stand up to the sour, the roast and sour are good but i think it would balance a little better with more malt. i did really enjoy this one and its really making me wonder why i do not brew and drink more sour beers. I think trying out one to many grand cru's that really over soured my tastes, as I tend to enjoy ones like this with restrained sourness a lot more.

now i need the backstory?

20200731_131634.jpg

Last edited:
Sampled the happy pils, fermented it too hot and can taste some fusels.... and tons of tropical pineapple. Not sure if I will dry hop this batch ?

kicking the weekend off a bit early today. @samale sent me his coconut porter which i have been chomping at the bit to try.

this one poured a nice dark brown, seems to be a bit light on the carbonation. has a small head that fades quickly to nothing.

aroma is a surprise, i was expecting roasty or caramel but this one smells a lot like a sour ale not a typical porter. it meshes in between a lactic sour and a vitamin c type of aroma, and then has a bit of orange, tropical and maybe coconut? if it was not titled coconut porter i am not sure i would have gone there from the smell. and finally a little leathery smell at the end, very light on the malt side and no roast at all.

taste wise it starts out a bit like a brown ale from the cask, but immediately shifts to a medium tart sour that lingers for a good 5 seconds. has a good level of bitterness but i am not getting any hops in the flavour, but there is some citrus just not sure from what. the roastiness shows up on the back end and mingles with the bitterness for a while. i'm curious if you used that kveik you had from the stout for this one?

so this one was really not what i was expecting. it has a lot of similarities to the german porter i brewed but it drinks a lot more like a flanders brown than a porter. although it's much more sour than the porter i brewed, reminds me more of rodenbach grand cru, where mine is more orval, but i am sure there is some type of brett in there. i have to admit at first taste i was taken aback by it, but once i adjusted my perspective that it was a sour beer i quite enjoyed it. personal preference wise i might have liked a little more maltiness or body to stand up to the sour, the roast and sour are good but i think it would balance a little better with more malt. i did really enjoy this one and its really making me wonder why i do not brew and drink more sour beers. I think trying out one to many grand cru's that really over soured my tastes, as I tend to enjoy ones like this with restrained sourness a lot more.

now i need the backstory?

View attachment 30167
Thanks @Pennine
This beer has been a total flop it's nothing like the beer I was meant to make. As you picked out it's really lacking in malt flavour, carbonation and coconut. If I had of tasted it before hand I would not of posted. Saying that I am really grateful of the second opinion. I suppose you have to have a few flops to appreciate the good one's 🙂
This is the recipe
4.5 kg Maris otter
200g caramunich 1
200g crystal 82
150 g special W
200g carafa 3
30g admiral @ 60mins
I used CML beoir yeast
I added 600g of fresh roasted coconut at day 14 and left in for 3 weeks.

Plans for the next attempt will be to add more body, up the roast and maybe add chocolate malt. I didn't want a robust porter as the coconut is very delicate flavour.
Work out how it turned sour. Any ideas🤔

Thanks @Pennine
This beer has been a total flop it's nothing like the beer I was meant to make. As you picked out it's really lacking in malt flavour, carbonation and coconut. If I had of tasted it before hand I would not of posted. Saying that I am really grateful of the second opinion. I suppose you have to have a few flops to appreciate the good one's 🙂
This is the recipe
4.5 kg Maris otter
200g caramunich 1
200g crystal 82
150 g special W
200g carafa 3
30g admiral @ 60mins
I used CML beoir yeast
I added 600g of fresh roasted coconut at day 14 and left in for 3 weeks.

Plans for the next attempt will be to add more body, up the roast and maybe add chocolate malt. I didn't want a robust porter as the coconut is very delicate flavour.
Work out how it turned sour. Any ideas🤔
if the other bottles are sour I would bleach your fermenter and bottling bucket and get all new tubing. if yours are not then it was a bottle issue. have you brewed a sour recently?

8E07AF87-0EE5-4547-B222-CB4E6C922AA6.jpeg
Caledonian Porter Clone

Normally I serve this at room temperature but with how hot it has being I have cooled it down to about 3 degrees. It makes for a much more pronounced bitterness from the hops and some of the more delicate flavours are hidden. That said everything has its place, and on a hot day like today when I am done with work till Monday it is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back