What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to have to be careful with this one, @matt76 'chocks away bitter' at 3% abv it's a good job I've got a quiet day tomorrow.

It's really nice, can't believe it's only 3%, it's full bodied, looks great, full of taste, I thought fuggles but then looked at the recipe, simcoe, williamette and ekg.

I could imagine watching the 3rd day of a test match at home drinking a crate of these, really lovely. 👍

20201216_202852.jpg

I are do be drinking a bottel of Tesco's "Crofter's" cider, an Aston Manor brew of some sort, cheap, though much nice than similar cheap ciders incliuding muck like Thatcher's Gold, eurgh.

I am doing this because it comes free with a 2L PET screwtop, which I want, to bottle my own cider. I am collecting them!

Attachments

• IMG_20201216_211340[1].jpg
    IMG_20201216_211340[1].jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 82
Appreciate it is a 'school night' but the boss and I declared tonight a bottle of wine night due to bad news on the family front.

So I am forced, forced I tell you, to shared a Wolf Blass Shiraz, sigh 😝

20201216_211340.jpg

2nd and last of the night is this coffee stout from the 'Lidel' (lidl). First few sips were decent, coffee and vanilla but goes downhill, it's quite thin which is ok but I think this needs a bit of body. It's too fizzy and also has a bit of a metallic twang, oxidized? Not my favourite.
Quite often find that with flavoured stouts, initial mouthfeel good and then downhill.

I’m now trying a German Pilsner kindly sent by @strange-steve

My initial impression on opening the bottle was surprise at the lower level of carbonation (I do know though that Steve is not a fan of gassy beer). The thin white head, formed from pouring with a little height, dissipated very quickly leaving a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. The beer itself is a light yellow colour and brilliantly clear.

The aroma is very delicate and needs a little rousing but once released is beautiful, a kind of floral spice but also something very slightly sweet smelling - maybe a hint of banana esters? The malt is initially not very evident but becomes more prominent as the beer warms a little.

The flavour is clean and slightly bitter. Any fruity esters I might have picked up from the aroma are certainly not apparent in the flavour though there is a subtle hoppy spice in the finish which is otherwise dry, clean, and has a mild lingering bitterness.

I’m brewing a German Pilsner at the moment so it will be interesting to see how mine compares but in the meantime, thanks very much for sending me this beer Steve, I enjoyed it very much and hope mine is as good. :hat:

7B0D7B5D-24BD-4560-BFAF-4D11CD453A28.jpeg

I’m now trying a German Pilsner kindly sent by @strange-steve

My initial impression on opening the bottle was surprise at the lower level of carbonation (I do know though that Steve is not a fan of gassy beer). The thin white head, formed from pouring with a little height, dissipated very quickly leaving a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. The beer itself is a light yellow colour and brilliantly clear.

The aroma is very delicate and needs a little rousing but once released is beautiful, a kind of floral spice but also something very slightly sweet smelling - maybe a hint of banana esters? The malt is initially not very evident but becomes more prominent as the beer warms a little.

The flavour is clean and slightly bitter. Any fruity esters I might have picked up from the aroma are certainly not apparent in the flavour though there is a subtle hoppy spice in the finish which is otherwise dry, clean, and has a mild lingering bitterness.

I’m brewing a German Pilsner at the moment so it will be interesting to see how mine compares but in the meantime, thanks very much for sending me this beer Steve, I enjoyed it very much and hope mine is as good. :hat:

View attachment 37692
Thanks mate, I appreciate it. Not quite as good as your Czech pilsner, but acceptable enough 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back