What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These little Tesco stubbies, smelled quite hoppy and promising on opening but on drinking it's a bit like fizzy water. These used to be alright too so that's a shame.

View attachment 29327

Wonder if my hand capper would be able to cap these bottles, they could make for something a bit different

I feel your pain. We brought some stubbies from Morrisons and Lidl at the weekend for a BBQ and the Morrisons ones were exactly like that - fizzy water. The Lidl ones are a little better.

I'm not sure I'd recap those bottles, the glass appears really thin and I'm not convinced they would happily bottle condition. Plus they are green, which I don't think protects from light strike / hop skunk / whatever its called like brown ones do.

@Hazelwood Brewery plum porter.
Very well done with the plum as it is prominent but not overpowering, and goes really well with the mild roasty chocolate.
Clean and well balanced bitterness.
Very nice
acheers.
20200715_183532.jpg

Taste the Raspberry jam, not getting any peanut butter which is disappointing, very light and easy drinking though, slightly sweet but feel it's lacking something.... Worth a try for £3

I tried that one a couple of months ago in my NM subscription box. Didn't realise it was in Tesco as well.

I seem to mark stouts and porters harshly but gave it a 4.00 on Untapp'd. "Nutty aroma with a nice strawberry jam flavour". Must have enjoyed it.

Another good Lost + Found session IPA. There's no doubt these guys know what they're doing when it comes to hops, intense tropical and citrus fruity aroma. But as is often the case with this style it's just a little thin and one dimensional for me.
lqFa5ur.jpg

I'm drinking Hazy Jane from a mixed box of 48 Brew Dog beer my daughter bought me for Father's Day. Not that impressed with the Hazy Jane though.

I'm drinking Hazy Jane from a mixed box of 48 Brew Dog beer my daughter bought me for Father's Day. Not that impressed with the Hazy Jane though.
Agreed but brewdog did pave the way for an escape from the dross that was supermarket beer. Tesco finest double IPA was a revelation (brewdog circa 10 years ago) ashock1

A bottle of the Elderflower Ale, my third brew from back in May. First couple have been a bit **** and tasted like the 2L plastic bottles of Ruddles County my Dad used to buy back in the day. This one is much better a week or two later. Not the finest beer I've ever drunk and distinctly lacking in elderflower perfume but very drinkable. Encouraging.

My first attempt at a house brown ale. Based in Sir Wheelers Sam Smith's Nut Brown in his euro book, but tweaked a bit. I *think* it has too much brown malt in it (my modification) but I think this needs counteracting with invert sugar rather than reduced brown malt.

Or I could be talking balls; it usually takes me a year to get anywhere near a decent house recipe and this is my first attempt. :laugh8:

It is very nice, however.

IMG_20200715_215752.jpg

Just trying this espresso martini. My hopes weren't high... but I'm actually pleasantly surprised. The fact that it's a nitro can with a widget makes it exceptionally smooth, the mouthfeel is incredible, like drinking double cream. There's a slight sourness which detracts from it a little but overall pretty good. For 75p I call that a win.
v8mOy8a.jpg
Where did you buy it from mate!

First bottle of Brew #4 - a 'Rye-PA' based mainly but not exactly on a By the Mash Tun podcast recipe. Following 2+2+2 this isn't quite ready yet but patience is a virtue I lack. Really happy with it. The piney-fruity Ekuanot really kicks through. Definite room for improvement but good to see some real progress from previous brews.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back