What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No not that one. I'm the purchasing manager of a garden centre near Whitstable called Meadow Grange and part of my role is overseeing and buying for the farm shop, including the local beer and wine. We also stock Canterbury Ales, Curious Brew and Shepherd Neame (of course) and should be doing Wantsum Brewery soon too.

When we can I’ll pop by and say hello, and buy a few beers of course ;)

Almost time for a sweet stout.
...but not quite.

AF8833C4-0741-4ED9-8B24-E57F41F56BFE.jpeg

Tonight I am trying @Pennine hoppy pilsners. Same recipe with two different yeast M76 and 34/70
Slight over carbonation on the 34/70 which kicked the sediment up from the bottom
Aroma: lovely fruit salad from the M76 the 34/70 is a lot lighter on the hop aroma. Some nice malt in the background
Flavour: M76 is very clean with a nice bitterness, nice biscuit malt with a dry finish. Well balanced fruit and malt.
34/70 this tastes like a completely different beer. Flavours are not as well defined. Still a very nice beer with a higher level of bitterness.
Overall: This is a great experience, I can't believe the difference between the two. If I was to pick I would prefer the M76. Both beers were very enjoyable to drink. The M76 let the hops shine more and had a cleaner finish. The carbonation issue with the 34/70 may of played a part.

As always thank you for sharing 👌
View attachment 37459

Thanks for this! I agree I sometimes think lager yeasts all taste the similar but they definitely affect the hop expression in hoppy lagers. I think I rushed this one a bit and will definitely leave them a bit longer in the fermenter. I was also wondering if hop creep happens more with 34/70 than m76.

Tonight I have a lambic gueze (spelling?) To try out my beer box...says it's oak barrel aged...never tried this style before so really looking forward to it!

I haven’t tasted this one, just jumped straight in. It’s my “Goofie” Saison!

It’s been conditioning for 6 days so nowhere near long enough. It’s almost clear, a nice golden yellow, well carbonated although the head flattened out quite quickly to a light covering that’s sticking around.

The aroma is peppery saison spice, a little citrusy fruit, maybe a touch of zest from the orange peel but definitely a white wine like quality from the Nelson Sauvin hops.

The flavour is peppery saison spice, not too much fruit disappointingly, and white wine notes. There’s also a slight breadiness to the taste from being so young.

Mouthfeel is soft but also quite bubbly from the carbonation. I didn’t really notice any bitterness but it is there if I look for it. Clean finish despite being young but I’m starting to feel, if not taste, the 6%.

A152FE9B-36B4-4499-90EC-0CA8371789EE.jpeg

today I am trying out this dunkel I found at waitrose, It's surprisingly good for a wheat beer but kind of forgettable like most German beers. Lots of caramel malts and a nice wheat graininess. It's surprisingly light on the palate. I should have paid more attention to the bottle as it was bottle conditioned and I should have let it sit longer. Looking forward to the weizenbock I also bought.

20201214_164747.jpg

Really enjoyed this raspberry saison from my local brewery included as part of a 12 beers of Xmas box. Fairly tart and well balanced not tried many saisons and don't really know the style but I will try more of for sure
IMG_20201213_195249.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back