What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm I really like saaz and tettnang so it will be interesting to hear your preferences between the two. Maybe a blend would be even better?

Next, almost(?) a pint of my Belgian Tripel. I know a Belgian beer needs a good luxurious head. Well, I definitely have that, just need a ladder to reach down to the beer!

497B467A-42B4-4969-93A7-996468516283.jpeg

Fallen behind on my calendar and haven't posted the few I drank earlier in the week so here they are, think these were doors 10 and 11:
_20201217_212856.JPG_20201217_212923.JPG
Enjoyed the cedar wood in the tickle monster more than I expected.

Next is first pint of a kegged Hazelwood Brewery bitter. It was force carbed and I think most of the co2 has been absorbed as it's very cold in my shed. I've gassed it again before serving. It's poured nicely and retains a thin head.
It's too cold really but is perfectly clear and tastes blinking great!!

And tonights, day 13 and 14:
_20201217_164533.JPG_20201217_213753.JPG
Thought the lumina was a good easy drinking ipa, but my soul bought more citra than my palate wanted.

Last edited:
Next is first pint of a kegged Hazelwood Brewery bitter. It was force carbed and I think most of the co2 has been absorbed as it's very cold in my shed. I've gassed it again before serving. It's poured nicely and retains a thin head.
It's too cold really but is perfectly clear and tastes blinking great!!

I’m keeping an eye on mine - nearly ready but not quite. It’s great you’re enjoying yours!

A mug of "'orrible stuff", this being 1L of Aldi cheap apple juice, 3 tsp. ground ginger, 7oz sugar, nutrient & citric acid, baker's yeast, made to 2L on 7/Dec.

I've had most of it. It's rayther cloudy, and there's too much ginger in, and it's too "dry". It might be 7½% ABV. I have poured some of this substance into a smaller bottle, with ½ tsp. of sugar, and I will keep this for a while, to see what it's like when matured a little, and it's fizzy instead of dead flat as it is now, and it's cool, not fresh off the top of the range also as it is now. It will clear, too, I should think.

Next time, only 1 tsp ground ginger. Perhaps a little orange zest would help it. Hm.

Oh, my! I can feel it doing me good, though.

Attachments

• IMG_20201217_213805[1].jpg
    IMG_20201217_213805[1].jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 38
It's very tasty...got "that" English bitter taste! I did make this one more in line with your original recipe and it's definitely improved it! I think I changed the yeast from Notty to MJ..I can't be arsed getting up to get the brew journal...

With about 400 pints at various stages from fermentation to two year old bottles I thought I needed to supplement (not even at home for Christmas!):
PXL_20201218_153151101.jpg

Will let these settle overnight. Advent is 9% and meeting mates for virtual drink later so better start with a something lighter, my 3.5% Flowers at North Mill 😀
Cheers 🍻

First taste of Brew #10 "Christmas Porter". The FG was higher than I wanted - 1020 rather than around 1014 - owing (I think) to a triple whammy of a high proportion of darker grains, a high mash temp and a low accentuating yeast (Windsor). I really like the flavours here and will get over the slight extra sweetness: coffee (but not bitter, roasted beans more gentle), fruity notes and a nice hoppy finish from the Bramling Cross. First time using Windsor and I think I'll use it again but need to tweak the recipe a bit or maybe add some Nottingham to pull down the FG a few points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back