What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I compared 3 Porters last night - all visually the same so only 1 picture:

20210416_211241.jpg

To establish a baseline I started off with the final bottle of my Mk.I Hurricane Porter, fermented with CML Beoir in September 2020 so I'm sure it's changed a bit as it's conditioned. It's fairly sweet, but in a good way. Hard to pinpoint the exact flavours but maybe raisin, a hint of chocolate, dark toffee perhaps - dark flavours but not roasty. @pilgrimhudd tried it and his feedback was he wanted a bit more roast, so.....

For my Mk.II Hurricane Porter I added 50% more brown, crystal and chocolate rye malts. I also then split the crystal into dark, extra dark and Special-B. It was a split batch fermented with:

WY1318 - I really like this one. It's not roasty as such, but it's more roasty than Mk.I if that makes sense, drier and less sweet. This might sound weird but I get something that reminds me of leather, or maybe just a hint of smokiness.

Vs.

MJ M36 - I'm surprised how different this is. Compared to the Wyeast version it's somehow rounder and more fruity. I like this one too.

Really pleased with this, fascinating as always what a difference yeast selection makes. For the next version I'm planning to leave the recipe unchanged, but once fermentation is complete I'll only bottle half. Then I'll transfer the other half to secondary to age it with some brettanomyces claussenii, taking some inspiration from how porter may (or may not!) have been done historically 👍🍻 :beer1:

The porter is probably my favourite. 👌
Had one of those a couple of weeks ago, up in Derry. Cracking porter. I lucked out with my new local offy. 4 kinnegar and 3 Galway bay. Plus proper pilsner urquel. None of that brewed under licence in the UK bollox, that has hardly any flavour. Hmm, I can feel a dander to the offy coming soon 🤔

Yous have talked me into it
Must have a run round to the local supermarket here they carry the full range of kinnegar including the cans and they are 3 for €9.

89532E79-A383-48CA-A0AE-BD1C305BB5DF.jpeg
Saaz Aurora Saison

Having with roast pork out in the garden when I first started drinking this fresh out of the fridge it was the flavours from the yeast that dominated, however as it warmed slightly the flavour from the hops started to come through. Saaz and Aurora seem to go really well together a Spicy herbal taste that works rather well.

Enjoying a hoppy pale/ipa from @Fuzzy Growler.
Really impressed with this. Its clean, nicely bittered and without any twang. Hop additions defo coming through more than the previous versions. Grapefruit character is just a little stronger than I'd ideally like.
Thanks mate. Perfect hoppy quencher for the end of brewday. 🍻
20210417_152610.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back