What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tapped a keg of 3.9% Cherry Lime Session IPA made at the wife's request. 18 litres put on 900g of cherries and 20g of de-pithed lime zest for a week. All you can smell and taste is lime unfortunately and a few sips into the pint I feel like I've been drinking fairy washing up liquid. Next time, I'll use 5g of lime zest and probably some more cherries.

Attachments

• IMG_6635.JPG
    IMG_6635.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 28
Just tapped a keg of 3.9% Cherry Lime Session IPA made at the wife's request. 18 litres put on 900g of cherries and 20g of de-pithed lime zest for a week. All you can smell and taste is lime unfortunately and a few sips into the pint I feel like I've been drinking fairy washing up liquid. Next time, I'll use 5g of lime zest and probably some more cherries.
Cherries I can see the appeal of (Titanic does a Cherry Porter which is rather nice) as for lime well doesn’t seem it would be to my taste. Does your wife like it at least?

Not sure about cherries in beer but fermented cherries in wine don't taste great at first. The 'cherriness' comes back later. The cherry wine I made for my DIL at Christmas is just about ok to drink now. I suppose in beer you'd be putting them in secondary so it'd be better.

Cherries I can see the appeal of (Titanic does a Cherry Porter which is rather nice) as for lime well doesn’t seem it would be to my taste. Does your wife like it at least?
She thinks there's too much lime as well. I'll be happy if she can finish a 1/2 pint. 20g of lime zest really went a long long way. I might try mixing it with something sweet to make something like shandy. Would hate to have to dump it.

Not sure about cherries in beer but fermented cherries in wine don't taste great at first. The 'cherriness' comes back later. The cherry wine I made for my DIL at Christmas is just about ok to drink now. I suppose in beer you'd be putting them in secondary so it'd be better.
Even thought the Cherry Lime Session IPA didn't work out, I used Cherries earlier in the year to make a Chocolate Cherry Imperial Stout. That really worked well. Aging the bottles for next winter. These are the only two times I've brewed with Cherries before and both were in secondary.

Time for one more 😉
I was brave enough to include a few mixed ferm beers in my Wiper & True order.
Not usually my thing but developing a taste for them.
Very little Brett character in this, just a quenching dry finish. Brilliant in the sun 😎
20210424_153811.jpg

Even thought the Cherry Lime Session IPA didn't work out, I used Cherries earlier in the year to make a Chocolate Cherry Imperial Stout. That really worked well. Aging the bottles for next winter. These are the only two times I've brewed with Cherries before and both were in secondary.

That sounds really nice! The husband has just seen this and now he wants to make it! Thanks for the idea! clapa

What a beautiful day!! Just been for a bike ride with the family at fiddlers ferry And had a well earned pint of white rat at the ferry tavern afterwards. A very nice citrusy pint. Cascade and Amarillo. Need to get some Amarillo in. This is a proper summer quaffer! Anyway in the back garden now and just getting the BBQ on and started on my willamette, cascade, simcoe combo and very nice it is. Piney, but very refreshing! Really liking willamette at the moment. It just goes with everything!

1D27E449-80DF-46A2-908A-44D8384DB7BF.jpeg

Thanks again to DocAnna, just finishing off your IPA. The second pic I posted was taken because I felt the first one made it look oxidised which is certainly isnt. Its a really interesting one to me this, because its similar in many ways to the one I have on the keg atm so I think I have a decent reference point. You have already spoken about how it was meant to be NEIPA but isnt, so I wont insult (your orders of magnitude greater than my own) intelligence by passing any further comment to that end 😄

It certainly is an IPA and its a good one. Truth be told, partially due to me just being off nightshift and my sleep being all over the place, its knocking me about a bit 🤣 It doesnt taste its strength at all. Its a beautiful colour and really nicely carbed. I guess you are doing so under temp control giving you a lot more precision than I have when using CO2. Its more bitter than mine, what did you use for bittering and how many IBU?

The nose is full on fruit, I think probably a pear type aroma, but the first flavour I got, and I told you I dont pick out flavours that well, was blackcurrant. I felt like there was a big hit of almost ribena flavour. Really intriguing to me. If one of the hops has that in its notes then you have absolutely nailed its use. Also notable is the fruity aroma in your bottles hanging around longer than it has in my keg. Something I might need to consider there.

I really like this beer. I know you were critical of it and I wont say dont be because I do that myself. Its the way to drive improvemt. But I will say that if you hadnt been honest and said it was meant to be a NEIPA, id have reviewed it as a straight up IPA and said that its really really good. So something in the process is going right 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back