What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure H. The recipe has oats and lots of hops in - on my understanding even a sniff of oxygen would ruin it. We will have to see how long it lasts. It's supposed to be around 10 EBC but looks more like 14 to me.

Ready for football yeah happy Sunday all
7990DDAB-8760-49B0-93DC-811DDD5F760B.jpeg

I'm not sure H. The recipe has oats and lots of hops in - on my understanding even a sniff of oxygen would ruin it. We will have to see how long it lasts. It's supposed to be around 10 EBC but looks more like 14 to me.
They are certainly factors that make beer more prone to oxidation. I’m assuming there’s quite a big dry hop - does he use leaf or pellet?

Always pellets. We haven't tried leaf yet but we keep meaning to.

Just checked the recipe - 100g dry hop, so not as big as I thought.
Pellet is better for the dry hop because you get air trapped between the leaves that can oxidise beer - I wondered if this might be a contributory factor. Not if you use pellet.

I recently experimented with mash hopping as a mechanism for reducing oxidation. In the American Ales competition I entered my Pilgrim Ale and it came 2nd despite being highly hopped and three months old. It was the beer I’d experimented on with mash hopping and I can’t say for sure but there might be something in it.

Try adding 1-2g / litre of high alpha-acid hops in your mash. It adds virtually no bitterness and does add hop flavour despite the boil. The theory is that the alpha acids have changed into different compounds that are less volatile and don’t isomerise to anything like the same degree. They also “complex” metal ions which would otherwise make it into the final product and are pro-oxidative.

May be worth a punt?

Steigl ‘Columbus’
Quite a surprise and very nice too. Sort of a sophisticated take on a US style IPA but with a good noble hop character, anchored by a restrained slightly lemony acidity.
It’s a bit like ‘Anarchy in the UK’ being played softly by a string quartet in a big room with chandeliers and waiters offering trays of Ferraro Rocher 🤣
I’d recommend this if you can track it down.
BF0919D6-C28F-45D9-8E1F-88F84195ABF9.jpeg

Last edited:
Steigl ‘Columbus’
Quite a surprise and very nice too. Sort of a sophisticated take on a US style IPA but with a good noble hop character, anchored by a restrained slightly lemony acidity.
I’d recommend this if you can track it down.
View attachment 57240
I really enjoyed that one, very sessionable I would say

Pellet is better for the dry hop because you get air trapped between the leaves that can oxidise beer - I wondered if this might be a contributory factor. Not if you use pellet.

I recently experimented with mash hopping as a mechanism for reducing oxidation. In the American Ales competition I entered my Pilgrim Ale and it came 2nd despite being highly hopped and three months old. It was the beer I’d experimented on with mash hopping and I can’t say for sure but there might be something in it.

Try adding 1-2g / litre of high alpha-acid hops in your mash. It adds virtually no bitterness and does add hop flavour despite the boil. The theory is that the alpha acids have changed into different compounds that are less volatile and don’t isomerise to anything like the same degree. They also “complex” metal ions which would otherwise make it into the final product and are pro-oxidative.

May be worth a punt?
I only use pellets and just bung them in, so I guess some poor sucker is going to get some fowl oxidised beer from me in the "Secret Santa" -
If you saw my bottling technique you would need a paramedic armed with a defribulater to hand as well

I only use pellets and just bung them in, so I guess some poor sucker is going to get some fowl oxidised beer from me in the "Secret Santa" -
If you saw my bottling technique you would need a paramedic armed with a defribulater to hand as well
Pellets are good in the dry hop, leaves not so much.

For most beers this isn’t too much of an issue but if they’re highly hopped (300g / 20 litres), and especially if you also use lots of oats, then oxidation is far more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back