What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think @phildo79 has had success with the Jamil recipe. Recommends you crush the roasted barley almost to a powder, but this is mashed rather than added to boil. Although if it's grouns to a powder I'm sure a fair bit would make it into the boil.
The Jamill recipe says an extra fine crush of the roasted barley is needed to achieve the true Beamish taste. I used to get my barley double crushed by CML. Unfortunately, CML no longer sell bespoke AG kits.

If you crush your own grain, then double crush. If ordered, ask for it. If they won't do that for you, ask for the barley to be bagged separately and use a rolling pin to crush it. Jamill mentions using a coffee grinder as another method but I have not tried this. All the grain is in the mash, only.

It's a fine recipe and if executed well, will produce a very good pint of Beamish.

The Jamill recipe says an extra fine crush of the roasted barley is needed to achieve the true Beamish taste. I used to get my barley double crushed by CML. Unfortunately, CML no longer sell bespoke AG kits.

If you crush your own grain, then double crush. If ordered, ask for it. If they won't do that for you, ask for the barley to be bagged separately and use a rolling pin to crush it. Jamill mentions using a coffee grinder as another method but I have not tried this. All the grain is in the mash, only.

It's a fine recipe and if executed well, will produce a very good pint of Beamish.
Interesting about the roast barley, here is another recipe by Gordon Strong that claims to be like a Beamish stout without the extra grinding of the roasted grains.
https://byo.com/recipe/gordon-strongs-irish-stout/

@foxy
A fairly similar recipe but with the added sweetness from crystal and choc malt. I can see why Strong suggests it would be more like Beamish than Guinness. Possibly more like Murphy's, with the choc malt?

I've made the Jamill recipe four or five times now (and, coincidentally, ordered the ingredients for another batch this afternoon) and every time it has been a winner. I'll probably stick with it since I have the recipe dialled in. But there is also a Murphy's recipe in the book/mag that might also be from Jamill. Might give that a go soon 🤔

This is well worth a tenner!
DSC_0007.JPG

I am more than happy with how this turned out. A single hop (El Dorado) pale ale at about 5.5%. Big dry hop of 170g. Perhaps that's the key to maxing out the flavour profile with my set up. Been a bit disappointed with my last lot of hoppy brews. @Alastair70 might be supping one of these this weekend, if the missus doesn't already have plans for them both in the evening. I could bring a few more, if that is the sort of beer she likes? Curry her favour... 😉

DSC_0009.JPG

Got the digital version today on special $4.50athumb..
Mate, it's class. The IPA version is also brilliant. 202 fantastic recipes for under a score = bargain in my book. I have made quite a few recipes from both an have yet to be disappointed.

Mosiac, Citra & Centennial pale next

View attachment 92499
How did you chose the hops ?

I've been wondering about hops recently, in particular someone on here (sorry can't remember who) said three is the magic number and on an MM video they were talking about one hop acting as a catalyst for another, enhancing its flavour.

Most (if not all) of the things I've read about hops talks about them in isolation. I'm wondering if there is a resource somewhere (or maybe we should create a thread on here for it) along the lines of :-

HOP COMBINATION USE FOR WHY IT WORKS
Mosaic, Centennial and Citra Pale ale Centennial rounds out the Citra
Fuggles, First Gold English Ale First Gold and Fuggles compliment each other
Willamette, Styrian Goldings, Fuggles IPA Styrian enhances the fruitiness of Willamette

(I've made up the why it works column)

I realise all combinations are valid in some form but this would be based on experience.

A word of caution:
Just checking the recipe volumes quoted,
Would that be 5 US Gallons, which is 4 Imperial Gallons?
And does the book make that clear?
Best stick to the Metric measures for safety, they're the same worldwide. 🍻
It says 19L so that's what I go by. All my recipes are scaled to try and achieve 19L anyway.

It says 19L so that's what I go by. All my recipes are scaled to try and achieve 19L anyway.
My brews exactly!
Do you use one of these clonal 30L machines too? Works a treat.
Hopcat (mine, but modified a little) , Ace,Guten,Klarstein, Angelbrew,
Brewdevil, Brewmonk.
Or something completely different.
I really only posted about Gallons to help others.
I have seen some confused Imperial unit based users wondering why their worts OG's come out so low using US recipes. 🤔

We popped in to M&S today for some chocolates (better than the usual Christmas chocolates) and I picked up some beers while I was there. I also bought a nice big bottle of Port.

This is the first beer, a 4.7% passion fruit pale ale from Admundsen Brewery in Norway. On opening it smells a little like a bag of fruit jelly sweets. It’s quite a nice beer but the flavours are a touch artificial - like CLWB TROPICA. One thing that did catch my eye, I don’t think I’ve seen “Aroma” listed as an ingredient in beer before.

95CBB9BB-0D33-4D04-8BEF-322917C04BF9.jpeg
8957445E-486F-4D49-98B5-FEE2A82F83B0.jpeg

We popped in to M&S today for some chocolates (better than the usual Christmas chocolates) and I picked up some beers while I was there. I also bought a nice big bottle of Port.

This is the first beer, a 4.7% passion fruit pale ale from Admundsen Brewery in Norway. On opening it smells a little like a bag of fruit jelly sweets. It’s quite a nice beer but the flavours are a touch artificial - like CLWB TROPICA. One thing that did catch my eye, I don’t think I’ve seen “Aroma” listed as an ingredient in beer before.

View attachment 92520

View attachment 92521
Got it!
The German ingredients show Passionfruit as the Aroma. That probably explains your perceived jelly fruit sweets. Thank you Germans for your pedantry in requiring clear definitions. 🍺+🥭. OK that's a mango, but I couldn't find a passion fruit in emojis, but it serves. 😜

There is no way I would get 19 litres @1.040 with that amount of grain
Hi, looking at your figures using bag-in-Burco brewing, that efficiency is quite low.
Do you simple drain the mash bag and not rinse or sparge it at all?
It doesn't have to be sophisticated, just a few litres of held-back cooled off boiled water would easily give more gravity from that bag for you.
Or am I trying to teach you how to suck eggs? 😜 Sorry for butting in, if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back