What are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
7am on a Saturday, that's brutal.

Well they haven't quite ruined my Saturday Larry. Managed to get away at half 2 (and went in at half 8), leaving me enough time to have a couple of beers in the sun in the garden before her indoors gets home.

Now the dilemma of going for a third or giving the (jungle like) lawn a mow...

Well they haven't quite ruined my Saturday Larry. Managed to get away at half 2 (and went in at half 8), leaving me enough time to have a couple of beers in the sun in the garden before her indoors gets home.

Now the dilemma of going for a third or giving the (jungle like) lawn a mow...

You should have that lawn done by now Hops, time for a cold one.

Well started with a pint of my coopers ipa tweak with Nelson sauvin hops. Pretty nice.
Then the temptation took hold, the brewferm triple that's only been bottled six weeks asked me to try a sample for quality control. It's damn nice. Even the fosters drinking step son likes it. Better hide that one away!!
Then brewferm diabolo asked to be sampled. Quality control again. It's been bottled nearly ten weeks. I know I have to hide the brewferm ones away. But have to say the triple even though it's had less time is far ahead of the diabolo. But the instructions for the diabolo where wrong and it had far less sugar than it should of. Also the triple had candi sugar.

Well started with a pint of my coopers ipa tweak with Nelson sauvin hops. Pretty nice.
Then the temptation took hold, the brewferm triple that's only been bottled six weeks asked me to try a sample for quality control. It's damn nice. Even the fosters drinking step son likes it. Better hide that one away!!
Then brewferm diabolo asked to be sampled. Quality control again. It's been bottled nearly ten weeks. I know I have to hide the brewferm ones away. But have to say the triple even though it's had less time is far ahead of the diabolo. But the instructions for the diabolo where wrong and it had far less sugar than it should of. Also the triple had candi sugar.

Ah candi sugar my fave ingredient, i always try to incorporate it in my brews. As for tonight a couple of Bengali tigers if the other half gets a move on or a 750ml bottle of duval if she's not. e.g can we get to the local spoons before it gets a bit manic!

In my local last night and decided to have a draught Wherry since Im brewing this at the moment and always found it to be pleasant and reliable..
well it was horrible and could not even finish it
Had a Meantime bitter instead...very pleasant and refreshing

I had this Robin, I had a Wherry in the pub and then came home and had one I'd brewed. You wouldn't recognize them as the same beer. Mine absolutely wiped the floor with it, chuffed doesn't come anywhere near covering it off.

Just had an early bottle of my Crooked Halo blonde. I only put it in the cold yesterday but stuck one in the fridge to sample tonight. It does need more conditioning, but tastes pretty darned fine. Maybe a little over-carbed... It's lager-fizzy, I'd prefer it a bit less fizzy if I'm being critical.

Now having a bottle of Crafty Dan Triple C. Centennial, Citra and Chinook... Bloody hell it's nice. That's a combo I'll use in future. I fancy something nice and malty now, but I don't think I've got owt.

I had this Robin, I had a Wherry in the pub and then came home and had one I'd brewed. You wouldn't recognize them as the same beer. Mine absolutely wiped the floor with it, chuffed doesn't come anywhere near covering it off.
Thats interesting, cos I thought it was just me! The pub Wherry, really was bloody awful.

Had a bottle of Old Tom earlier which lasted over an hour, really nice but strong. Now on a bottle of Shephards Neame 1698 which is not tasting all that good too be honest.

I tried a bottle of my very high abv Slovenian ale. Calling it styrian wolf as it has most the pack in there.

Such a lovely flavour, and the amount of hops in there seems to combat the fact it's almost 10%!

Was surprised that the west coast yeast made it that far.

Missus asked me last night if I'd had a bottle of 'that ridiculous strong beer'

Asked why?

She said your eyes are glazed and your starting to sluuuur.

;-)

Happy days!

Just finished your Styrian Wolf,

Well, brum, what can I say the beer opened with a pop! - lovely
colour dark brown/almost black poured with a 2 finger head - great retention.
light subtle bitterness getting hops and chocolate aftertaste - The hops are similar to a simco/amarillo hop combo I did.

A bit of fruitiness from the yeast - nice belgian touch :-)
my wife shays issh very nishh. :drunk:

That went down far too easily.
The hop/malt balance is superb, a lot of beers are usually one or the other but this is the best of both worlds. Finally the 10% abv doesn't feel that strong but kicks in afterwards.

That beer was simply stunning. I'm well impressed It's bang on the money. Belgians would go mad for that, it's that good. It's like a young st. feulian brune with orangey hops added. - keep up the good work. even if your other half doesn't agree it's nice have a stronger beer on hand. :whistle:

Why thanks very much. I'm blushing.

I've got two easy kegs filled with it so need a party to show it of I think.

It's the one that lost a lot over the boil, so I added 3 litre of spring water part way through fermentation with a little nutrient.

I'm about to crack yours open once I've cooked dinner.

Next big beer I brew I'll be sure to send you a sample.

Cheers :-)

Oh and I'm drinking primus smoke box from the other keg that hasn't turned bad.

Was very dissapointed by that last night. :-(

Why thanks very much. I'm blushing.

I've got two easy kegs filled with it so need a party to show it of I think.

It's the one that lost a lot over the boil, so I added 3 litre of spring water part way through fermentation with a little nutrient.

I'm about to crack yours open once I've cooked dinner.

Next big beer I brew I'll be sure to send you a sample.

Cheers :-)

Oh and I'm drinking primus smoke box from the other keg that hasn't turned bad.

Was very dissapointed by that last night. :-(

can't get them all right :-? , but the styrian wolf nailed it for me.:hat:

Yup happy to swap anything big although i'm having to reduce the abv in my brews to under 7% to keep the peace although how long that will be in force i don't know! - I did sneak a big RIS in from xmas before that rule came into force! :lol:

My dad bought round a festival IPA kit beer to try, it wasn't too bad a really fruity zest to it but to be honest a subtle stale dry aftertaste that lingered.. Wasn't horrible by any strech but I couldn't drink more than one of them..

I feel pretty bad really since when I did kit brews I did a few that I thought were pretty decent.. since going AG I have tried a few kit brews from him and my Father in law (mostly john bull kits) and they just never seem right, one way or another they carry some twang or subtle flavour.. It is frustrating when I try AG its clean clear and the flavours are so fresh.. When I try kits they can have nice hoppy flavours but in the background there is a dirtish flavour.. Some are not too bad, tonights to be fair was better than some of teh john bull ones. I think it must be within the extract.. I know kits have their place and suit people but maybe I have become a snob :(.. but I will just be honest and say I can taste these things present.

My dad bought round a festival IPA kit beer to try, it wasn't too bad a really fruity zest to it but to be honest a subtle stale dry aftertaste that lingered.. Wasn't horrible by any strech but I couldn't drink more than one of them..

I feel pretty bad really since when I did kit brews I did a few that I thought were pretty decent.. since going AG I have tried a few kit brews from him and my Father in law (mostly john bull kits) and they just never seem right, one way or another they carry some twang or subtle flavour.. It is frustrating when I try AG its clean clear and the flavours are so fresh.. When I try kits they can have nice hoppy flavours but in the background there is a dirtish flavour.. Some are not too bad, tonights to be fair was better than some of teh john bull ones. I think it must be within the extract.. I know kits have their place and suit people but maybe I have become a snob :(.. but I will just be honest and say I can taste these things present.

gotta agree - if you can taste something odd then it's not an ideal beer for you. - But I've found a few commerical beers with 'flaws' in them so it's not all down to lme or dme! The other point is how are these stored? they are only in a cool dark place until they go on the supermarket shelves! - which themselves are neither cool nor dark. As for hoppy beers ours should be better because they are uber fresh.

still if you like it -drink it - if not try harder next time :grin:

gotta agree - if you can taste something odd then it's not an ideal beer for you. - But I've found a few commerical beers with 'flaws' in them so it's not all down to lme or dme! The other point is how are these stored? they are only in a cool dark place until they go on the supermarket shelves! - which themselves are neither cool nor dark. As for hoppy beers ours should be better because they are uber fresh.

still if you like it -drink it - if not try harder next time :grin:

I think you're right.. I think with kit there will be a little hit and miss although this razorback I got from get er brewed for him for his birthday and they are as far as I know good for kit storage.

I agree with the commercials too.. most to me are nice but I have a few one in particular I thought had a real dirty flavour but I cannot remember which one now.

I only ever made one extract brew with all DME and that was as far as I can remember absolutley fine on this front..

I dont know where my FI gets his kits from, I don't like reverting to saying they all have kit twangs in but there are flavours which I think really give away something unfresh or stale about them..

This one tonight Razorback was okay but had a funny flavour, I do remember the John Bull Bitter and john Bull lager ones I tried were pretty bad though.. I think the IPA was ok.. trying to remember some of the others..

Had dad_of_Jons Belgian beer last night. Tasted bang on the money. And I'm not normally a fan of Belgian style beers. Thanks for opening my taste buds :-)

Had dad_of_Jons Belgian beer last night. Tasted bang on the money. And I'm not normally a fan of Belgian style beers. Thanks for opening my taste buds :-)

"Last night" :wink: you've just quaffed it with your cheese butty at work haven't you :lol:

Just started on my cascade smash. It's extremely drinkable, so there won't be much left of the mini keg tomorrow I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back