What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a user upper bitter yesterday, now fermenting happily in the brew fridge.

18L BIAB ( no sparge )
total water 24L
OG 1.054
FG 1.014
EBC 24.5
IBU 46
ABV 5.4%

3.3kg Maris Otter
720gm pale ale MO
340gm Cara Gold
300gm Golden Promise
100gm Dark Crystal
50gm Chocolate

60mins 10gm Admiral
60mins 10gm EKG
10mins 25gm EKG

80c hopstand 35gm EKG

3 days dry hop 30gm

pitched CML ale yeast ( for first time ) at 19c, very short lag time with nice krausen by this morning.

A loose copy of a tettley 1868 east India pale ale
7kg Chevallier
200g first gold leaf hop 60 min
150g first gold leaf hip hop stand 70c
CML midland yeast.

it will be bitter but apparently the Chevallier can manage a large bittering edition.
will be bottled and aged for a few months.
What was your batch size?

What was your batch size?
32l to start (BIAB)
Aiming 23l out of fermenter.
based on this
DC2EB6E7-C551-4B42-AFCF-50A12C8A9E72.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I was trying to be funny!

You’re only allowed to talk about it on here up until the point that the yeast has finished I believe.
Aha!
And yes - I agree with the rules. It is a beer/low wine/mash etc.
While it will then be used for other nefarious activities I wonder if anyone has tried to make a palatable beer from a similar recipe. At 18% ABV it could cut my otherwise consumption down by 2/3rds leading to a slimmer, fitter sloth LOL.

Having a go at the GW Theakstons, as per @foxbat's brew thread. I've adjusted the base malt to more realistically reflect my efficiencies 🙂 , and the hops too, cos I noticed that the AA ratings on my hops were a bit different to the recipe. But aiming for roughly the same OG and IBUs.

When I've done 'simple' brews like SMASH's (I know this isn't a SMASH as such) in the past, the results have been somewhat underwhelming. I'm hoping for better with this batch.

Having a go at the GW Theakstons, as per @foxbat's brew thread. I've adjusted the base malt to more realistically reflect my efficiencies 🙂 , and the hops too, cos I noticed that the AA ratings on my hops were a bit different to the recipe. But aiming for roughly the same OG and IBUs.

When I've done 'simple' brews like SMASH's (I know this isn't a SMASH as such) in the past, the results have been somewhat underwhelming. I'm hoping for better with this batch.
Haven't tried mine yet but I'm hoping it'll be nice. Which yeast did you use?

I splashed out on the 1469! I noted your low FG, so I guess yours came out a bit stronger than expected? It's a low-strength beer, anyway.

I'm strictly bottle-only, so it'll be a while before I'm tasting mine.

18 litres of Red X IPA
5000g Red X malt
400g Cara Red
30g Carafa 3
30g Amarillo @60m
30g Cascade @15m
50g Cascade @20m Whirlpool @85C
CML Five @19C
OG 1060
Just been looking for ideas of what to brew, have never made red ale before so this sounds good, how did it turn out?

Just been looking for ideas of what to brew, have never made red ale before so this sounds good, how did it turn out?

The simplest “red” brew is a Bourru as follows (I will have a Bourru on the go almost all of the summer):

My latest version is the cheapest and quickest brew imaginable:

1. Pour one litre of Red Grape Juice and a quarter litre of water into a two litre bottle.

2. Add half a packet of yeast. (Preferably bottom fermenting.)

3. Shake the mixture, slack off the cap and leave the brew to ferment on the kitchen worktop for 24 hours.

4. When fermentation is well under way shake everything up, release the CO2 and put it in the fridge to chill. (Keeping cap loosened.)

5. Drink when chilled (but within three days) but remember to leave about 100ml of Bourru behind for the next brew.

6. For the next brew just add another litre of Red Grape Juice to the 100ml in the bottle, top up with water and repeat from Step 3.

I have only used the same half packet of yeast and bottle for up to five brews. The only reason that I haven't used it for any more is that after three weeks the remaining half opened packet of yeast has needed using up or I have been away from home.

It really is a brilliant drink in hot weather

Alternatively, back in the day, I brewed one of these kits:

https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/st-pe...MI4pOW6M6l9wIVB4fVCh3ucQV3EAAYASAAEgKzT_D_BwE
It didn’t last very long!

Enjoy.

20 litres Saison
4000g Maris Otter
300g Wheat malt
300g Honey malt
300g Rye malt

35g EKG @60m
30g Saaz at flame out/hop stand 20m
18g Satsuma peel @10m

CML Wallonia yeast @ 24C
OG 1052

Going back a bit but hopefully you have have had sufficient time that you can answer CC.... How did you rate the Wallonia, and does it go all the way down towards 1.000?

I have a pack to brew a Saison but I have just bodied I only order a fairly small grain bill for a lower OG the try and avoid a really big ABV, then realised I don't know if this yeast has the typical diastatic action of other saison yeasts

Latest posts

Back