What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
24 litres of Elderflower Ale:
5kg of Maris Otter
250g Crystal Malt
100g Chocolate Malt
50g Challenger @ 60 minutes
30g Dried Elderflowers @ 10 minutes
50g Fuggles @ 5 minutes
20g Challenger @ flameout
Nottingham Yeast
OG 1.052

11.5L of Tropical Stout. My efficiency was lower than previous (65% instead of 75%) but still managed to keep it a decent ABV level, within the BJCP guidelines. Trial jar sample tasted great, so hopefully this will be a good one for the winter brew and swop.

9560F5FE-3FBF-4F03-9DEE-00E4B9D2F4EF.jpeg
Just mashed in on a 15L batch of Hebridean Wild Cat (Crossmyloof kit) previously made a gallon batch of this and it was lovely. I did consider doing a larger batch however I find it difficult to lift the grain basket when my grain bill goes above about 4KG.

first use of the brewzilla Gen 4 to do a tropical stout. Turned into the brew day from hell. The pump blocked and had forgot to bypass the tap before I started so couldn't use it to get wort into fernenter. Didn't have a Syphon, so a quick clean of a bit of gas line and a mouthful of hop debris in my mouth starting the Syphon.

2nd brew of a Schwarzbier.
Good brew day.wantes to try and get clearer wort into the fermenter as I have had a couple of comp feedbacks say there was some slight astringency at the back end.After chilling I did a very thorough whirlpool with a sanitized spoon and left for 15 mins. Then slow transfer under gravity using the tap instead of the pump.. clearest wort into the Fermenter this year 👍🏼 this beer got 38pts on its first BJCP comp so trying for a few points extra in a couple of months🤞🏼

Attachments

• IMG_20220925_132548.jpg
    IMG_20220925_132548.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220925_134024.jpg
    IMG_20220925_134024.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
First time trying the new stir plate I bought. Planning a run of beers using WLP023 Burton ale yeast. First up will be a premium bitter, I will follow @Hazelwood Brewery recipe from his brew day thread.
IMG_20220925_192535182_HDR.jpg
Hopefully this yeast has still got life in it, I got it at discount for being slightly past its date. Any info or tips for using this yeast is welcome

I'm rather enjoying my golden ale so I've decided to brew another today.
Very simple .maris otter,wheat and a handful of crystal.
Hops are target,goldings and fuggles. Yeast CML Midland.
I'm just about finished..25 lit to fv at 1.044...3 points up on target gives me 80.6% bhe which is very high for me!

I've had a couple of Burton Bridge ales and found them very quaffable. Never heard of GD, though. Just had a look at their website and they do a massive range including two milds. Must investigate further.
I put on a Burton Bridge Brewery - Summer Ale and only after two weeks in the bottle its tasting rather nice. I really hope that in a few more weeks it goes from strength to strength. I feel that I will be doing more of their range, but think a visit to their website is needed. Thanks for that, as I would not have thought of going direct to them if not for reading your post.

Im making for the first time in over 40 years, a lager, on Thursday. Using a CML all grain kit, as well, since I dont want a ton of ingredients for something I dont like or doesn't turn out well. I hope Im pleasantly surprised.

Im making for the first time in over 40 years, a lager, on Thursday. Using a CML all grain kit, as well, since I dont want a ton of ingredients for something I dont like or doesn't turn out well. I hope Im pleasantly surprised.
I did the Chill Pills Pilsner kit they do back in January, was also my first attempt at larger I was surprised how well it turned out really well.

Brewed a tropical stout last night.
5kg pale malt
200g special B
200g crystal 225
200g carafe 2
100g chocolate
100g roast barley
500g dark brown sugar @30mins

20g magnum@90mins

Yeast CML hellx2

I over sparged so ended up boiling for 90 mins. I hit 1.066 I was looking around 1.070
I am looking for a smooth stout with dark fruit being the main flavour. Slight roast with minimal bitterness of the dark malts.

Brew #36 according to my notes and my first lager. Trying a Vienna Lager as its a style I love when it is done well and my recent trip to Lost & Grounded has definitely revived my interest in all things lager.

- 75% Vienna, 10% Munich, 4% Caramunich, 1% Carafa III
- Tettnang to 25IBU with a late addition for fun
- Lallemand Diamond
- Aiming for 20L at about 5.6% when all done

I brewed David Heath’s Oktoberfest Märzen Lager yesterday. I scaled it up to 25 litres because the 30 minute boil means I have a good 1.5L less pre-boil volume, so a boil over in my G30 is more easily avoided.

It all went according to plan, except I forgot to whirlpool. But the hop filter didn't block and it all got well splashed into the fermenter, so I don't think there was any problem with aeration, especially as I used dry yeast.

Two packets of SafLager W34/70 pitched at 18C with the temperature immediately brought down to 12C where it will stay for the next 10 days; there was activity after a couple of hours and it's bubbling along nicely after 24 hours.

After the 10 days at 12C, I was planning to raise to 18C for 4 days as a Diacetyl rest and then down to 7C to lager for a couple of weeks - does that sound reasonable? That's what I did previously with MJ Bavarian M76 and it worked well, but I've never used W34/70 before.

CDE7927C-014B-4134-ABC3-1880A6EA7D01.jpegE75F1BA2-254B-47E6-92F5-47379CC3CF82.jpegI

Mash is on for the foreign extra tropical stout
5kg pale ale malt
400g Crystal 80
200g roasted barley
200g chocolate malt
200g carafa 2
100g black malt
30g summit @30
30min boil
Might add sugar depending on where I’m at for abv.

Latest posts

Back