What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a brew but I bottled my Festival kit Old Suffolk Ale today. This was my first brew since moving to Spain in September. Had to wait a while before the temperature dropped low enough to brew. Still, it gave me plenty of time to drink enough Magner's at my local bar and collect the bottles.

Checked a Belgian Triple I have in a second FV too. It’s been bubbling like the clappers since last Sunday and is now at 1.007 making it 8.7%. It should have finished about 1.015 ish apparently. Should make Christmas go with a bang!
[/QUOTE]

Checked again prior to bottling tomorrow, 1.003 making it 9.2%…..not a session ale

Cherry sour today 😁. Own recipe loosely based on a few others including David Heath . Giving spotless water a go for the first time also so 🤞

IMG-20231110-WA0002.jpeg

Last edited:
American Porter brewed today OG1052, meant to be 1054, efficiency was a bit down as I exceeded my usual max in my BIAB setup. Loosely based on David Heath's American Porter Christmas Special off Yoube. First use of this year's Cascade as the late hop.

Got me thinking: what's the difference between an American Porter and a Black IPA?

Finally a dry afternoon, so I took the opportunity to brew a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra clone. The AG kit (from MM) was for 19 litres but as usual I want more! So I added another kilo of pale malt and added 10 minutes to the boil time to up the ABV and IBUs. Got 23 litres at OG of 1.065. So she's in the ballpark.

October 19 2023
Simply Ale pouch
1kg brewing sugar modified/replaced with 2.2kg supermarket honey.
Pitched @ 21°C satchet of assumed Notts Ale yeast.
15L
SG. 1.065
Target@ 1.010 ~ 7.22%

Hopefully sweeter dry ale or braggart.

9/11/2023 now 10L and cloudy 1.014 cloudy and yeasty . Looking for yeast killer additives brewers would usually avoid or wait for frosty night and cold crash overnight outside with 50m clingfilm wrap. Wont tell you about my frankenstien mead that nearly killed me during lockdown.

@matt76 's Mustang American Amber Ale. My pre-boil gravity was a bit down but I'll check OG in the morning after its chilled itself overnight.

First brew in my newly cleared out brew space. A lot better experience when you have room to move and put stuff down. 😊
The temperature / hydrometer calc must have been a bit out as the gravity was 1.042 this morning so I added 300g of sugar and transferred to a FV. Pitched the yeast at 16 and into the brewfridge.

I no chilled overnight on Friday and it dropped to sub 10 by the morning ashock1
It was still 20 this morning so I had to chill the no-chill :D . The tap water was about 6 so it didn't take long to get down to 12.

BTW, when I do chill I've switched to in at the top of the coil and out at the bottom so its cooling from the top and I think it cools faster. My theory is that when you cool from the bottom you get a gradient from cold at the bottom of the kettle to warm at the top and it just sits there whereas if you cool from the top the colder wort at the top will drop down pushing the warm wort up where it cools. Like little thermals. Probably not happening at all in reality but I'm going to stick with it 🧐.

It was still 20 this morning so I had to chill the no-chill :D . The tap water was about 6 so it didn't take long to get down to 12.

BTW, when I do chill I've switched to in at the top of the coil and out at the bottom so its cooling from the top and I think it cools faster. My theory is that when you cool from the bottom you get a gradient from cold at the bottom of the kettle to warm at the top and it just sits there whereas if you cool from the top the colder wort at the top will drop down pushing the warm wort up where it cools. Like little thermals. Probably not happening at all in reality but I'm going to stick with it 🧐.
Always confused about which is the correct way in and out.

Discussed by Martyn in this week's video.

12 min in if you want to skip

Always confused about which is the correct way in and out.

Discussed by Martyn in this week's video.

12 min in if you want to skip

Interesting video (the cooling bit is around 7 mins). He says he does top down on 2 and bottom up on 2 but not why. There are probably circumstances where it is better one way than the other and others where it makes no difference :D .

Latest posts

Back