What do we think about the whole independence thing in general?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what an odd comment to make.

It isn't about any one person, but like everyone else up here I am allowed my say and get a vote.
A wink and a joke. Chill out.

I assumed you were joking tbh, with the "closer to Newcastle or up near Edinburgh" comment!

I have always considered myself to be English even though my dad was born in Ireland of English/Irish parents. Last year as a birthday present I was bought an Ancestry DNA kit. Imagine my surprise when it came back roughly 40% Irish, 30% Scottish, 19% English and 10% Welsh and I expect if the majority of native UK people did the same test they would also find a mix of the nations to some degree. Most of us are cut from the same cloth to a certain extent. However if I were living in Scotland or Wales, NI is a different proposition, I would vote to get away from a parliamentary system designed hundreds of years ago, and generally is still stuck in that past, and fails the bulk of the UK citizens.

Do the people do Scotland believe things will be a lot different this time?

SCOTLAND VOTES NO
Scotland has voted against becoming an independent country by 55% to 45%.
Scottish independence referendum - Results - BBC News
ssssssssssssss.jpg

Funnily enough I have had my DNA test done and I am 93% English athumb..

The thing is since the 1960s a lot of the regions in the British isles have been neglected in favour of London and the south east.
Neglected by ALL political parties for over 40yrs
Even today Northerners just could not afford to live,If they had to pay London prices for their homes.
So they want Independence,Thinking they will get local policies that more suit them.
With local politicians that actually care

I said it five years ago The problem lies not in Brussels but in Westminster.
Vastly overprivileged and out of touch.

I’ve always thought of myself as British, with Cornish, English, Irish (North and South, Catholic and Protestant), Scots and Welsh heritage. The Break up of the union would hurt me deeply, with all its faults and inequalities, having seen a lot of the world, this is still one of the most generous, kind and genuinely decent countries in the world in which to live. I think we would all lose more than we would gain.

Well said, I feel the same. even them though, it’s a bit selfish for the Scottish people not to be self ruling.

I have lived all over the world and totally agree that the UK is the most tollerrand sand safest place in the world in real terms. My first wife died twenty something years ago, after a few years of struggling with money, I sold up in London and moved to Doncaster. Really thought that was a mistake, but visiting our one relative now, I wouldn’t move back for all the tea in China.
I started a new business, the children had good schooling and it’s fine. It enabled me to take the children abroad for holidays, to Bulgaria, cos at the time it was the cheapest. We liked it so much I had a house built and went three or four times a year.
A decade ago I was married to Donni, a Greek/Bulgarian. We work 3 months, have 3 weeks away, it was great until China virus.
It’s a shame as humans we all just can’t ‘be’. There is always some wall, some vote or something that wants to pitch us against one another.

Last edited:
it was great until China virus.
It’s a shame as humans we all just can’t ‘be’. There is always some wall, some vote or something that wants to pitch us against one another.

Given your use of "China Virus", you'll forgive me for thinking you'd be all for walls and division.

DD2 I don`t see how the Judiciary would go against Boris on this one. Unless the act of Union or some other statute gives an automatic right of calling a binding unilateral independence vote ( which I would have expected Nicola to have called long before now) then it will be a Political matter and one where they would defer to the Government and Parliament. With prorogation the position was essentially that Parliament held the government to account for the dissolution and the judiciary considered that the government were seeking to use this as a way of frustrating parliament. It would be for the SNP to seek a debate on a further independence vote at Westminster. I cannot see the Tories agreeing ( although there may be some rebels) and the Labour party wont want it either as the SNP would be more of a natural partner in the event of a hung parliament and would push the balance of the house naturally towards the Tories .

I sort of promised myself I would stay out of the snug after the last Brexit debate but here goes. Before I say anything I am not trying to change your view point I am only expressing mine.
I live in Ireland. It's currently going through political unrest as a result of Brexit. Arlene Foster has lost leadership of the DUP, it's looking like Edwin Poots is the front runner. I can honestly see the government here collapsing. Religious nut bags should not be allowed to govern it cloud's their judgement
It's just an endless cycle of *****. As for independence it's not the right time but it is coming in the future. N. Ireland is a poisoned chalice, you couldn't give it away if you tried.
Time's are changing as a result of Brexit, if Scotland vote for independence it will bring forward the vote for N. Ireland.

Last edited:
Well I’m just completely fed up with the British parliamentary system. It’s over 300 years old, and apart from extending the franchise to everyone over 18 and occasional constituency boundary changes it hasn’t altered much at all. Despite being called a democracy, it’s far from it. We have an unelected head of state (albeit without any real power) an unelected upper house which is frequently used as a bribe or reward to their mates by the main parties, a FPTP electoral system which means that we normally end up with a government that most people didn’t vote for, and on top of that the party whip system which means that MPs have to vote the way they’re told.

But what really gets to me is the dishonesty. All my working life, and I expect this applies to almost everyone, I have been expected amongst other things to be honest and if I wasn’t I’d have been shown the door. But for some reason it’s accepted that politicians will be deceitful and lie like old carpets. The expenses row highlighted it. A handful of MPs were prosecuted, and some proudly claimed that it was alright because they’d ‘paid it back’. If they’d paid it back, then that was an admission that they shouldn’t have had it in the first place. In other words they stole it.

Adam Price has said that he wants to make politics honest. So that’s why I’m voting for his party on Thursday.

Back