What do you smell when you open your FV???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanManley

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a question for you all... the above actually.

I am now convinced that I believe every brew has a "sour" "Vinegar like" smell when I open the FV to check FG is reached.

Is this Co2? Is it something I shouldn't smell? Having never smelt anyone else's brews I have nothing to compare it to.

So tell me... what do you smell???

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Same here. It's never particularly nice unless it's a stout or porter. Im from what I have read it's the co2 that gives the acidy kind of smell. Some of the guys on here have described it as a burning sensation on the nose.

My tip. Don't smell it. Nothing good is achieved haha

Cheers all, glad it's not just me! Just dry hopping so will taste tomorrow before racking off to secondary/bottling. 😉👍

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Trouble
Its then I realise i only have one brew on at a time.
Every time i go to the tip i drive past twenty or thirty fridge/freezers and think, surely they cant all be broken?

CO2 doesn't have a sour or vinegary smell - in fact it doesn't have a smell at all. What it does for me is to produce a very unpleasant sharp sensation, almost like a "cold but burning" feeling in the nose. It makes me automatically pull my head away & my eyes tend to narrow or close as a reflex action.
I also guess that what you're smelling is just the early by-products of fermentation, that yeast-cleanup and maturation will take care of. As long as the beer is good once properly conditioned, I wouldn't worry!

I'm getting a slightly appley smell inside my brew fridge. Could it be the 20l wheat beer that's brewing, and is it anything to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An apple smell is quite common, it's due to acetaldehyde which is produced by yeast during fermentation. It's one of those compounds that gets cleaned up when fermentation is complete, so if you can smell it then it usually indicates that more time is needed.

An apple smell is quite common, it's due to acetaldehyde which is produced by yeast during fermentation. It's one of those compounds that gets cleaned up when fermentation is complete, so if you can smell it then it usually indicates that more time is needed.

Thanks Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back