What if....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celsius

Reaction score
Say for example someone started a coopers stout off and thought when he/she pitched the yeast it may not be fresh/good quality, but still used it anyway, and it just sits at the top of the brew like a "slick" after 12 hours thought about scooping it off and using some fresh yeast, would that be ok? Or is it to late? :doh::doh::doh:

After 12 hours you are probably fine to pitch some more yeast. If you are using dried yeast, it is always a good idea to rehydrate the yeast first before pitching.

I'm surprised the yeast you originally pitched just sat on top. I wouldn't try to scoop it out, i'd gently stir it in when you add the next yeast.

panic over, i just called back to check and its going like a good un! Phew!

That's good. The Coopers Stout is the go to, bomb proof kit for any newbie.

And no matter how many brews you make and however you do them, it remains a great, solid, go-to beer.

Add some steeped grains, another stout can kit, a brew enhancer, vanilla pods, you name it, it has all been done and it still delivers great beer.

I was following this thread just waiting for the "Oh, wait a sec, it's gone off like a rocket!" post. Glad you didn't disappoint!

Well, every days a school day as they say. Really glad I found this forum though fellas, thanks for the heads up!

I had the same with a Classic Liquors Orange Brandy, the yeast did not seem to rehydrate, so just in case I added some Prohibition yeast as well, it seemed dead, then slowly started and now going fine, not a clue which yeast kicked in, but one did. still waiting for it to stop and clear before the next step.

Right, another question. My stout is ready for bottling, however I have treated myself to a new carboy. I'm on holiday for a fortnight from Sunday, should I bottle or leave it for another two weeks in the carboy? The gravity has settled at 1008. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

If you started the beer just over a week ago, I would definitely leave it for the extra time. Dark beers in particular benefit from a bit of maturing and a week is likely not enough time for the yeast to clean up after itself. Three weeks sounds good to me.

Leave it in the fermenter. Three and a half weeks fermenting won't do it any harm. If its only been in for a week so far, chances are it's not really ready for bottling yet. Even if you bottled on Sunday it'd be a wee bit early.
I'll leave mine 2-3 weeks as a matter of course.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2+2+2 2 weeks fermenting in the FV, 2 weeks bottled in the warm, 2 weeks bottled in the cold (shed). Three weeks fermenting won't do any harm.

I syphoned into the carboy tonight, using it as a secondary fv in this instance and guess what, it's still bubbling!! Very slowly but it shows you guys know your onions....or beer as it were!

I think my exuberance to get it bottled and drank would have got the better of me had I not found this forum. Patience is indeed the key.

Thanks again all!

Latest posts

Back