where to buy oak cubes or staves ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan_loves_beer

Reaction score
I really want to get some oak cubes or stave segments to age my beer with, all I can find in the UK are bloody shavings, can anyone help me? Or will I have to order from the US to get what I'm after? :pray:

Anyone have an answer to this? I'd like to buy some oak CUBES for my barleywine.

If I have to go with morebeer, roughly how much do you think I'd have to pay in shipping?

Haven't checked but try eBay for oak wood turning blanks maybe there always seem too be people floggon em.

I'm not sure if I'm hearing you right, but are you talking about just using scrap oak? You can't use that stuff for beer. There is a special aging and roasting regiment that has to be applied to the oak before they can be added to beer.

I dunno about the aging etc but I do know only a few varieties of oak are suitable, others have too much tannin.

Oops sorry didn't realise that, good job u pointed it out as was planning just that for a brew. Would add a gormless face but there isn't one

oldbloke said:
I dunno about the aging etc but I do know only a few varieties of oak are suitable, others have too much tannin.

Yea, I think that it has to sit out in a certain controlled environment for three years or something to be aged correctly.

The Sunday Session has a surprisingly informative segment on oak here:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/membersarchive/dwnldarchive11-23-08.mp3
(right click, save as)

The oak part starts at about 2h 5min. into the show.

I emailed John from Hop & Grape directly to ask him about cubes and he says that he has some Hungarian cubes on stock right now. That's the first I've seen cubes offered in Europe.

www.hopandgrape.co.uk

He also says that he and Patsy are retiring and that someone else has bought the business off of them. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back