Where to start.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail59

Regular.
Reaction score
This weekend should see the finish of my modest AG brewery build. So im planning on doing my fist AG brew Bank holiday weekend. Problem is what to brew????. I have been looking through the recipes section amd have found some I like the look of, eskimobobs buzbee bitter, jamesb's malteaser, Wez's Big Kenny all sound good. I havn't found a Chocolate Stout in there but Barley Bottom do a Chocolate Coffee Stout recipe kit (has anyone tried this). So has anyone got any recommendations for a first time virgin AG brew. I dont like my Beer too bitter.

Couple of questions also.

1. IBU & SRM. I take it the lower the number the less bitter & lighter in colour the beer.

2. When a recipe states a boil time is this the time the hops need to be in the boil or the time into the boil that the hops need to be added.

Thanks in advance Mick.

snail59 said:
1. IBU & SRM. I take it the lower the number the less bitter & lighter in colour the beer.

2. When a recipe states a boil time is this the time the hops need to be in the boil or the time into the boil that the hops need to be added.
1. Correct.

2. Boil time will typically be 90 minutes from the point at which it reaches a rolling boil. Hop times are given as how long from the end they will be added, so for example if your recipe says 25g hops (90 mins) they would go in as soon as a rolling boil was reached, and then if it says 20g (15 mins) that's after 75 minutes, or 15 mins before you turn off the heat.

Latest posts

Back