Will you be watching the royal wedding?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a bike to commute through Birmingham every day and my biggest concerns would be reduced visibility (particularly relative to drivers in raised cabs) and the inability to bail out.
Might be interesting on more open roads though.
Hello fellow Birmingham cyclist. I can be found pumping my way down the Pershore road every morning and evening. How about you?

That's my exact thoughts to about the recumbent. To many distracted drivers out there. Sometimes I make direct eye contact with people that still pull out in front of me.

Chippy has it the wrong way around, it's harder going up hill (because you cant stand on the pedals) but downhill is easier and faster because your more aerodynamic.

Commuting isnt a problem at all, my wheelbase is quite short and I can almost turn within the length of my bike. Also the handle bars are about the width of my shoulders so I can squeak through some fairly narrow

I use a bike to commute through Birmingham every day and my biggest concerns would be reduced visibility (particularly relative to drivers in raised cabs) and the inability to bail out.
Might be interesting on more open roads though.

My 'bent' has 26" wheels (not at all like those really low 'bents' that have 20" wheels) so I'm about he same height as a seated car driver so can easily make eye contact. Despite the hundreds of thousands of bike's in London I hardly every see other recumbents, so I am in fact very destinctive. So in a way more visable than a regular cyclist

Last edited:
Myqul I said it's easier for a normal bike to go uphill meaning harder for a recumbent. ;)

I asked him the same question a while ago and if member serves he said going up hill is easier on a "normal" bike.

Hello fellow Birmingham cyclist. I can be found pumping my way down the Pershore road every morning and evening. How about you?

That's my exact thoughts to about the recumbent. To many distracted drivers out there. Sometimes I make direct eye contact with people that still pull out in front of me.

I'm coming in on he train from Kidderminster and either doing Jewellery Quarter or Snow hill to Five Ways in the morning and Five Ways to Moore St in the evening.
Back when I was running the martial arts club, I'd also be doing Five Ways to Dogpool Lane twice a week.

I'm coming in on he train from Kidderminster and either doing Jewellery Quarter or Snow hill to Five Ways in the morning and Five Ways to Moore St in the evening.
Back when I was running the martial arts club, I'd also be doing Five Ways to Dogpool Lane twice a week.

Or as it's known round here dogpoo lane. As the erm kids used to scratch off the L on the sign. Council got sick of it in the end and just removed the sign

Looks like it would have been a damp ride the other day...

Or as it's known round here dogpoo lane. As the erm kids used to scratch off the L on the sign. Council got sick of it in the end and just removed the sign

I remember that from when I was a student in Brum and a friend of mine lived on Dogpoo Lane. I've heard a similar thing happens to Canal Street in Manchester, although it's not the L that gets scratched off.

Back