Will you drink in Wetherspoons when pubs re-open?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then a lot of business owners fall into 'the bit of an a**e' category but the arses make money

Most arses are self-aware enough to keep a low profile though, because a high-profile **** is bad for business (qv Gerald Ratner). But you were asking why he was unpopular even before the Brexit/furlough things, and the **** thing was a part of it (but a long way from all of it). There's also some corporate governance issues in that he's one of these company founders who treats the company like his personal plaything even though he only owns about 30% of it.

Nice carpets though.

I'm not telling you to drink there, plenty of people do but.

Then a lot of business owners fall into 'the bit of an a**e' category but the arses make money
So what you’re saying is that it’s ok to treat your staff like **** as long as you’re making lots of money?

Where did I say that?
People are saying they don’t want to go to Wetherspoons after his actions and you have responded with:
  • Never let politics get in the way of saving or making money, or having a beer.
  • Alan Joyce did that over here, told all his staff to go and work at Woolworths or Coles. Doesn't mean to say everyone is going to boycott Qantas or Jet Star
  • Well they seem to do a roaring trade must be getting something right, if he wasn't making any money there wouldn't be a Wetherspoons.
  • I'm not telling you to drink there, plenty of people do but.Then a lot of business owners fall into 'the bit of an a**e' category but the arses make money
I don’t think it’s unreasonable for me to jump to that conclusion, especially from the bits in bold.

Last edited:
People are saying they don’t want to go to Wetherspoons after his actions and you have responded with:
  • Never let politics get in the way of saving or making money, or having a beer.
  • Alan Joyce did that over here, told all his staff to go and work at Woolworths or Coles. Doesn't mean to say everyone is going to boycott Qantas or Jet Star
  • Well they seem to do a roaring trade must be getting something right, if he wasn't making any money there wouldn't be a Wetherspoons.
  • I'm not telling you to drink there, plenty of people do but.Then a lot of business owners fall into 'the bit of an a**e' category but the arses make money
I don’t think it’s unreasonable for me to jump to that conclusion, especially the bits in bold.
Then you are jumping to the wrong conclusion, employees don't have to work there its there choice. Is there any proof the employees are being treated unfairly?
Any court cases that Wetherspoons are mistreating staff?

No offence Foxy, but that's a terrible thing to say.
Why?

Principles mate. A conscience. Some things are more important than money.
Why does politics have anything to do with conscience? If I want to go out for a drink I don't care what the landlords politics are, I am in the pub to have a beer, if the landlord is cheaper selling the same beer as the pub up the road but I don't like that he supports labor, I am not going to the pub selling the same beer just because he supports liberal.

Following on from the above, (without wanting to high Jack the thread) how many of you who will not drink in a Weatherspoons pub would drink in a Sam Smiths pub?

And with my CAMRA membership i was getting a book of vouchers that gave me 50p off a pint. It felt like I was *hitting on the brewers slaving to sell at £50 a firkin. A place for alkies, students and no hopers hate them will avoid and cancel CAMRA as they still ignore kegged beers,,,,,

Why does politics have anything to do with conscience? If I want to go out for a drink I don't care what the landlords politics are, I am in the pub to have a beer, if the landlord is cheaper selling the same beer as the pub up the road but I don't like that he supports labor, I am not going to the pub selling the same beer just because he supports liberal.

But some people do think like that Foxy.

As consumers we have the power to spend our hard earned wherever we like. The reasons behind it could be bad service, bad upkeep of the bar/toilets, not liking the regular patrons, thinking the owner is a propaganda pushing dick and/or wanting to give your money to a local or struggling business. Whatever your choice it is just that, your choice.

Then you are jumping to the wrong conclusion, employees don't have to work there its there choice.
Aye because jobs for (generally) unskilled workers and students are in abundance and they can walk out of one job straight into another no bother! :roll:

For those who have worked all their days in the pub trade it’s really difficult to move jobs. The U.K. pub trade that has been in massive decline over the last 15 years (in 2006 there were 58.2 pubs per 1,000 population, and this has reduced to 47.6 in 2018).

Is there any proof the employees are being treated unfairly?
Any court cases that Wetherspoons are mistreating staff?
You can treat your staff like ***** whilst still operating within the law. There’s plenty that you can do that’s legal but morally questionable.

I would think that getting rid of a large number of staff when you’ve reported profits of £102M in your last financial year, and there is a government furlough scheme that will cover 80% of all salaries below £30k p.a, then responding with “get a job at Tesco” would trump any articles or employment tribunals I can find through Google.

Besides, most constructive dismissal cases etc will be the fault of bar managers etc taking a dislike to staff members rather than the actions of head office. There won’t be any court cases about the bars being short staffed, being under pressure to sell more of a particular product etc etc.

I wouldn’t willingly go into a Wetherspoons, but unfortunately it my Dad’s local. My Dad thinks the owner is a complete tool, as do I, but he simply can’t make the walk to next nearest pub. So given the choice I’d boycott them, but pragmatism dictates that I very occasionally visit one.

Principles mate. A conscience. Some things are more important than money.
I work for my money and will spend it where I want. There has been a lot of snobbery on here about the types that drink in wetherspoons. And you're above them because?

Following on from the above, (without wanting to high Jack the thread) how many of you who will not drink in a Weatherspoons pub would drink in a Sam Smiths pub?
I can’t speak for Sam Smiths, but I know a handful of people who have worked for Belhaven(now owned by Greene King) for years. My mate’s ex-girlfriend is now the manager of one of their “gastropubs” (if you can really call them gastropubs) after starting as a barmaid in one of their other pubs when she was 18 and I know for a fact they treat their staff right.

Foxy my theme for this thread was a question
"Will you drink in Wetherspoons when the pubs reopen?"
As there are no Spoon pubs in Oz then your default answer is no or my opinion is not valid.

I can’t speak for Sam Smiths, but I know a handful of people who have worked for Belhaven(now owned by Greene King) for years. My mate’s ex-girlfriend is now the manager of one of their “gastropubs” (if you can really call them gastropubs) after starting as a barmaid in one of their other pubs when she was 18 and I know for a fact they treat their staff right.
My mate is a manager for those. He goes to failing pubs and tries to turn them around. He hasn't got a bad word to say about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back