Will you drink in Wetherspoons when pubs re-open?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people working full time in minimum wage can afford to leave their job tomorrow with nothing to go to? I don’t know how it works in Australia but in the U.K. you don’t get unemployment benefits for 3 months if you leave your job voluntarily. Many of those in minimum wage jobs are living hand to mouth as it is.
In Australia it is worse than that, we have Fair Work Australia, where as an employee can take an employer to the tribunal, which I may add the adjudicators are ex union officials. I have read some of the cases where employers have sacked an employee for stealing and have had to re-employ them again paying them for the time they were stood down.
I was probably more red than most of the posters in this thread in my teenage years, but learned quite quickly better to not buck the establishment but rather use it, saves a lot of energy fighting it and a lot more profitable using it.

I was probably more red than most of the posters in this thread in my teenage years, but learned quite quickly better to not buck the establishment but rather use it, saves a lot of energy fighting it and a lot more profitable using it.
Do they not say something like “If you aren’t left wing in your youth you haven’t got a heart, and if you aren’t right wing in old age, you haven’t got a brain”?

I’m 35 now so maybe the transition will be incoming.

Do they not say something like “If you aren’t left wing in your youth you haven’t got a heart, and if you aren’t right wing in old age, you haven’t got a brain”?

I like that I will have to use it in future threads.

If you believe that, it would be better to die young.

The question is not about forcing anyone to go it's a straight yes or no when pubs reopen.

I haven't read the whole thread but am a little confused by this post and an earlier one by you - If it was a straight yes or no the thread wouldn't have 80 posts in it why are you asking one member not to give his views yet others can post what they want?

On the point of how Wetherspoons treat their staff, I can say from personal experience they treat them well. I worked for them a while ago and can honestly say they were better than 90% of independent pubs I worked in. They paid you on time, by the right amount for all hours worked and gave you appropriate breaks for a start. Independent pubs were usually lacking in some or all of those regards.

As long as those basics are covered, I'm not sure what else any employee would look for.

I haven't read the whole thread but am a little confused by this post and an earlier one by you - If it was a straight yes or no the thread wouldn't have 80 posts in it why are you asking one member not to give his views yet others can post what they want?
Chippy because if you live in Oz then you can’t go to spoons so everyone can have an opinion but if you can’t go it’s just theoretical. If Foxy has said if I lived in the UK then I would go is fine.

There is a Yoko Ono quote along these lines but I can't bloody find it now. Something like "As you get older you should take a step to the left every day, to counter the natural current to the right".

I've probably got the words a bit wrong, but that is the sentiment of it.

On the point of how Wetherspoons treat their staff, I can say from personal experience they treat them well. I worked for them a while ago and can honestly say they were better than 90% of independent pubs I worked in. They paid you on time, by the right amount for all hours worked and gave you appropriate breaks for a start. Independent pubs were usually lacking in some or all of those regards.

As long as those basics are covered, I'm not sure what else any employee would look for.
That’s good to hear, because they don’t get a good rep from the media. My local always appears understaffed as well which compounds the issue.

Let's just say that for many people politics is *all* about conscience - indeed, a former Labour PM said "The Labour party is a moral crusade or it is nothing".

You have to understand that

a)Brexit was not just another party political issue - it is one of those once-in-50+ years events that cuts across party lines and reshapes them, it touches people in a way that's not like normal politics. I don't know Aussie politics well enough to suggest an equivalent, maybe the nuclear power thing - but amped up 10x.

b)Martin broke the first rule of hospitality - which is to be hospitable. It's one thing for a landlord to have political views, but at least you can normally find a quiet spot away from the bar and ignore him. Martin was aggressively pushing his views everywhere from the TV to beermats in the pubs, and made it pretty clear that 48% of the population was not particularly welcome in the pubs. He was the one who politicised the pubs, when they should be a neutral venue for people to talk (which may include talking politics).

Well said sir, the last time I was in a wetherspoons pub was a few years back and they had an in house magazine that was one great advert for brexit which in my mind is not what a British pub is about. I go for a pint not a brainwash from whatever side the the fence the owner leans to. As I mentioned earlier it is the quality of the beer in most, not all, wetherspoons and the service probably due to understaffing. I am more than happy to spend a bit more and visit a real pub not a supermarket style pub.

You are not supposed to post facts in threads like this as the haters wont know how to deal with them.

Chippy because if you live in Oz then you can’t go to spoons so everyone can have an opinion but if you can’t go it’s just theoretical. If Foxy has said if I lived in the UK then I would go is fine.

My mind often boggles at the thought processes you use.

I don't live in Australia but i know i wouldn't fancy swimming in a rip tide. ;)

I wonder how many of the people who have posted negative stuff about Spoons have never put a foot in one and have never met Tim martin, i have seen Tim martin on TV many times and he comes across as a decent bloke we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes yet we all have an opinion, there is an old saying that fits well here -
Opinions are like ass holes we all have them and most of them stink!

There's various versions attributed to Churchill among others but dating back to the 19th century at least. Typically it goes something like ‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’ Churchill of course went the other way.

I like being able to get breakfast there when I'm on holiday, but I've found that there's less and less beer on sale that I enjoy drinking.I may be going against the fashion,but I don't really like pale beer with loads of unpleasant tasting hops.

How many of the detractors read the following but chose to ignore it.

JD Wetherspoon (JDW.L) has caved to public pressure and said it will continue to pay staff throughout the coronavirus shutdown.

The pub group said in a statement on Wednesday 25 March it would introduce a new scheme that would see staff paid 80% of their normal wages by the company. JD Wetherspoon will then apply for up to £2,500 ($2,969) per employee per month back from the government under its new coronavirus job retention scheme.

“As we have already confirmed, Wetherspoon will pay all our 43,000 staff this Friday for the hours worked last week,” founder and chairman Tim Martin said in a statement sent to media.

How many of the detractors read the following but chose to ignore it.

JD Wetherspoon (JDW.L) has caved to public pressure and said it will continue to pay staff throughout the coronavirus shutdown.

The pub group said in a statement on Wednesday 25 March it would introduce a new scheme that would see staff paid 80% of their normal wages by the company. JD Wetherspoon will then apply for up to £2,500 ($2,969) per employee per month back from the government under its new coronavirus job retention scheme.

“As we have already confirmed, Wetherspoon will pay all our 43,000 staff this Friday for the hours worked last week,” founder and chairman Tim Martin said in a statement sent to media.
Nor ignoring that, it's the "caved to public pressure" part. If they'd done the right thing from the start there'd be no criticism of them. Well, not for that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back