Wine and cider has been quiet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
these look brilliant, love the bottles too.

any chance of a recipe for the hooch?

I've got a couple on the go. One was an experiment using a supermarket apple juice (3 litres) and raspberry syrup (750ml) that had preservatives. I simmered the syrup and left to cool overnight.
Next day heated a bit of the apple juice, added tea bags. Put that in a DJ and then added yeast. I checked the gravity and it was something stupid like 1080. Nothing happened. I thought I might have the temperature too high when I added the yeast.
So I added a different yeast. Nothing happened. I then was too busy to do anything to it so left it on the laundry floor. About 4 days later I walked past it and it was fermenting. Since then I've shaken
it up a few times and it's fermenting. It's just sat there for the last week and I plan to syphon it off soon.
* just bottled it actually. Forgot to take a final gravity reading. I've got a sneaky suspicion this one didn't finish fermenting properly. I've hidden it at the back of the garage in case of bottle bombs.
I've used swing tops. I read somewhere the excess gas is more like to escape through the seal, although I have no idea how true this could be. One bottle is a PET though so I can check for carbonation.

Another I started was a turbo cider. I was quite excited about this as I was adding pectolase, malic acid and glycerin. Then I realised that out of the 12 or so of juice I bought, that six litres was only
35% juice
picard.gif
picard.gif
picard.gif
. I considered asking my 11 year old if he'd drink it and I could get some more, but decided to soldier on. That's been in the FV for 11 days now and pretty much finished.
I've no idea how it'll turn out considering the 35% juice content.

Then this week grapefruit juice is discounted so as soon as the cider is bottled I'll make a start on 12 litres of the grapefruit brew. I've only got 2 bottles left of the original batch and I've promised to keep
one of them for a friend. It really is very nice.

Jury is out on this one ....

[emoji106] good to go I drank a bottle last night chilled in the fridge tasted amazing compared to the last batch (too much sugar, too strong) this one is defo a nice drink that you could drink all summer long. It's on the bulk list now to be made and stored for the garden party season if it lasts that long [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I've got a couple on the go. One was an experiment using a supermarket apple juice (3 litres) and raspberry syrup (750ml) that had preservatives. I simmered the syrup and left to cool overnight.
Next day heated a bit of the apple juice, added tea bags. Put that in a DJ and then added yeast. I checked the gravity and it was something stupid like 1080. Nothing happened. I thought I might have the temperature too high when I added the yeast.
So I added a different yeast. Nothing happened. I then was too busy to do anything to it so left it on the laundry floor. About 4 days later I walked past it and it was fermenting. Since then I've shaken
it up a few times and it's fermenting. It's just sat there for the last week and I plan to syphon it off soon.
* just bottled it actually. Forgot to take a final gravity reading. I've got a sneaky suspicion this one didn't finish fermenting properly. I've hidden it at the back of the garage in case of bottle bombs.
I've used swing tops. I read somewhere the excess gas is more like to escape through the seal, although I have no idea how true this could be. One bottle is a PET though so I can check for carbonation.

Another I started was a turbo cider. I was quite excited about this as I was adding pectolase, malic acid and glycerin. Then I realised that out of the 12 or so of juice I bought, that six litres was only
35% juice
picard.gif
picard.gif
picard.gif
. I considered asking my 11 year old if he'd drink it and I could get some more, but decided to soldier on. That's been in the FV for 11 days now and pretty much finished.
I've no idea how it'll turn out considering the 35% juice content.

Then this week grapefruit juice is discounted so as soon as the cider is bottled I'll make a start on 12 litres of the grapefruit brew. I've only got 2 bottles left of the original batch and I've promised to keep
one of them for a friend. It really is very nice.

what kind of turn a round have you got on your cider from when it starts fermenting to drinking it?

what kind of turn a round have you got on your cider from when it starts fermenting to drinking it?

You can drink it a couple of weeks after bottling but it's not great. A month is OK, but the longer the better.
Generally in the FV for two weeks depending how busy I am. So in theory six weeks.

As an update the experimental AJ & raspberry is carbonated well. I have one in a PET bottle so I can check.

The cider is still in the FV. Every time I think about bottling it something comes out. I'm actually sat here thinking how many bottles I need to bottle it this afternoon, but can't be bothered to go out the garage to sort them out. I'm off to work in a minute but hopefully I'll feel enthusiastic enough to bottle it when I get home.

thanks man, was curious as im going to bottle mine soon and wondering how long i can hold out from drinking. will leave it a month an then give them a try i think.

p.s you poor sod just going to work, been sat for the last hour drinking wine thinking about what i shall do this weekend.

thanks man, was curious as im going to bottle mine soon and wondering how long i can hold out from drinking. will leave it a month an then give them a try i think.

p.s you poor sod just going to work, been sat for the last hour drinking wine thinking about what i shall do this weekend.

Try it after a couple of weeks. It might be bitter.

Just back in from the garage sorting the Grolsch bottles.

9am Saturday morning here. I don't usually work Saturday, but someone is taking 2 or 3 months off with an unspecified condition. We're all casual staff so we're all doing a few extra shifts so the Boss doesn't take someone else on and she can come back to her job. We're hoping she comes back fit and well, but in the meantime we're all dong a bit extra.

Then come home, bottle the cider and then sit down to watch the (not so) Mighty Mariners. Hopefully we can pull something out the hat.
do you follow football? We've signed Luis Garcia for the remainder of the season.

Try it after a couple of weeks. It might be bitter.

Just back in from the garage sorting the Grolsch bottles.

9am Saturday morning here. I don't usually work Saturday, but someone is taking 2 or 3 months off with an unspecified condition. We're all casual staff so we're all doing a few extra shifts so the Boss doesn't take someone else on and she can come back to her job. We're hoping she comes back fit and well, but in the meantime we're all dong a bit extra.

Then come home, bottle the cider and then sit down to watch the (not so) Mighty Mariners. Hopefully we can pull something out the hat.
do you follow football? We've signed Luis Garcia for the remainder of the season.

still waiting on it clearing the now but i will do as you say and give it a bash in a couple of weeks. got a plain cider to do today with the addition of a bramley apple so be good to see how that comes out.

thats a mighty fine thing of you all to do! must be a valued memeber of staff.

afraid not my friend, dont follow many sports on tv. i do like motocross so spend most my time working on/riding my bike when i have spare time and the weather is good.

Been ignoring my wine making for a couple of weeks - never a good thing, but my Mum had a minor stroke and dealing with doctors, hospitals, nurses etc is more than hard work (long story that could lead to a major rant, so 'nuff said for now)

Anyway, on the go: 3 gallons of from scratch apple wine (started in September and although slowing to a pluckety pluck when it feels like it is coming along nicely) and 1 gallon of from scratch raisin wine - started about the same time and also now s-l-o-w but still doing its thang!

Managed to start a Wilko's pear cider off today and got a couple of WOW's to start tonight, that I'll post up a bit later. But first I have to try and sort out the 'curry sauce' looking cider, see if its still drinkable and then try blending that with the pink lady cider thats way too sweet for my taste buds. The curry sauce was fairly dry at the last tasting, so I'm hopeful that the two blended will be ok.

Last bit, managed to find some rose lemonade fruity tea bags - dying to give those a try, am thinking it may be best to add some white grape concentrate - idea's appreciated!

Today, I decided to bottle one of my demi-john's of Apple Wine that I did from a 2011 recipe from 'www.allotmentheaven.blogspot.co.uk' back in Sept. It's not clear but I needed the demi-john for some more stuff.
Anyway, it's not supposed to be ready until May but I've got stuck into some tonight and it tastes really good :-o
I used roughly 60/40 eating/cooking apples from the garden and can't wait to see how it matures and I'm already looking forward to the next crop as I may have a go at doing a cider from scratch with the eating apples.
:drunk:

Just started my Xmas Pudding wine today. Should be ready for xmas 2016 but planning to leave it until xmas 2017.

Murphy'sMum

Sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she is doing ok and don't let the medics feck you about, they sometimes need telling, and keeping on their toes!

and it wont hurt to add some white wine concentrate, or RGC if you want it more like a table red

FatDad
I was just looking at a christmas pud sat on top of our piano during dinner earlier and thought then I must get that on the go soon, been meaning to try and find another to go with it as its only a little half pound one.

Thanks for that cheapbrew - its the receptionist staff that I have a major issue with - thank goodness they had finished for the day on the first occasion - otherwise my finest Anglo-Saxon would have had quite an airing! The second occasion some poor Doctor type caught me just in time and ended up showing us where to go, while missus behind the desk continued chatting to her friend about the florist, and the third occasion I was at work when Mum tried to get some sense out of her, so by the time she told me about it, the 'need' for the proverbial kick up the rear end wasn't quite as effective.

Anyway, I digress, we had a little e-bay find over the weekend and now have 100 wine bottles, a wine rack, a couple of fermenters, dj's, heater, ad-hoc etc to sort out and all for less than £100 - life feels a little better after that!

In Lidl today ...

... saw 100% Apple Juice at 50p a litre ...

... so this afternoon ...

... 4 litres + some nutrient + some pectolase + some Ale Yeast in DJ = "Who knows?" :thumb: :thumb:

It started with an OG of 1.058 and stopped fermenting with a FG of 1.01 which gives an ABV of 6.3%.

It's a bit on the dry side and not really to my taste so I added a camden tablet before putting it to temporary store with the intention of adding a litre of straight apple juice before serving.

Not a bad exercise. Nine days from start to finish. If the addition of straight apple juice works then I will probably do it again when the weather gets a bit warmer. :thumb: :thumb:

Murphysmum

I hope your Mum is on the mend.

Strokes can be catastrophic in the first few months because recovery is so slow.

However, the human brain is a magical thing and often just needs plenty of time to work out new pathways so that the body can carry out what were familiar tasks like talking or picking up a cup.

It does take time though so, just like brewing, patience is important. :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back