Winter Brew and Swap - Tropical Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fear I've missed the Royal Mail cut off for Christmas delivery now so a bit unsure what to do at this point. I could send another bottle but no idea when that would arrive.

Feels like it might be easier if I attach it to a reindeer and point it roughly in your direction.

No worries, for me I find royal mail a safer bet, I think I might be blacklisted by evri for slating them constantly.

It's frustrating. I've normally used Royal Mail but because of strikes I switched to using Evri (including the Golden Ale swap for which I sent one to @pilgrimhudd) and had no issues at all. All seems to have gone pear-shaped this time though.

I've sent my Secret Santa beers via Royal Mail so will see if that is any more successful.

Royal Mail backlog
12CCBFEB-0489-46F0-A6E4-55BC7787D635.png

Had @SMP Brewery trioical stout last night but was knackered so only posting now.
Bottle was rock solid and I thought it might gush but it opened with a lovely hiss. Poured with a nice white head aroma made me instantly think “West Indies porter” first sip was the same. Nicely carbonated and lots of flavour in it chocolate and a subtle roast from the malt. Little hop flavour as per style and I enjoyed every drop.
Only thing I can say (personal opinion) more of a porter in terms of body and colour but a really good beer and if I had 30 bottles for Christmas I would be a happy man.
Cheers bud.
D2221533-53D3-4687-8E83-CA98818E85F4.jpeg

PXL_20221217_211504332.jpg

So as promised, it's finally time for me to sample @Donegal john's Tropical Stout.

Had to wrestle with the bottle to get the screw cap off (not sure what they are feeding you over there!) but it was certainly worth the effort.

Pours a pitch black colour with large tan head that although dies back does remain throughout.

Some roasty chocolate and coffee aromas but with a hint of dried fruits. Fig/prune notes come through more in the flavour, with a balanced background of roastiness.

Mouthfeel is quite full as you'd expect for a 7.5% stout. Moderate carbonation which combines well with the full body.

There is a slight lingering sweetness to the finish - can't quite work out whether that is purely from a high FG or whether there's been an adjunct added. It's perhaps a touch too sweet for my palate, but that's purely a personal preference thing.

Overall, a very well brewed beer that I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Will be interested to see your recipe for this as the aromas and flavours are quite similar to mine.

View attachment 79443

So as promised, it's finally time for me to sample @Donegal john's Tropical Stout.

Had to wrestle with the bottle to get the screw cap off (not sure what they are feeding you over there!) but it was certainly worth the effort.

Pours a pitch black colour with large tan head that although dies back does remain throughout.

Some roasty chocolate and coffee aromas but with a hint of dried fruits. Fig/prune notes come through more in the flavour, with a balanced background of roastiness.

Mouthfeel is quite full as you'd expect for a 7.5% stout. Moderate carbonation which combines well with the full body.

There is a slight lingering sweetness to the finish - can't quite work out whether that is purely from a high FG or whether there's been an adjunct added. It's perhaps a touch too sweet for my palate, but that's purely a personal preference thing.

Overall, a very well brewed beer that I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Will be interested to see your recipe for this as the aromas and flavours are quite similar to mine.
Thanks for the review
It had no adjuncts added and the fg wasn’t that high from memory.
It’s the sweetness combined with the chocolate taste that keeps me coming back for more but I enjoy heavy sweet stouts. I will have a look for the recipe but not 100% sure I stuck to it 😳

Thanks for the review
It had no adjuncts added and the fg wasn’t that high from memory.
It’s the sweetness combined with the chocolate taste that keeps me coming back for more but I enjoy heavy sweet stouts. I will have a look for the recipe but not 100% sure I stuck to it 😳

It's an absolutely lovely beer and I can see why you want to go back for more. It's far from cloyingly sweet like some big stouts can be. Almost more of a playful hint of sweetness that balances with the fruity and chocolate malt flavours.

Last edited:
Last night I had @samale ’s offering.

F5D01191-EECE-4970-AB1E-61B437833FB2.jpeg

My neighbour picked this up whilst away so I’ve let it settle in the garage for a week before bringing it in to warm up.

It opened with a nice hiss and poured with a nice tan head, mine didn’t dissipate quickly lasted half the glass. Got hints of chocolate and fruit from it and sweetness, this was the sweetest out of the ones I had but like mine lacked a bit of body, also my mouth became dry about 5 minutes after drinking it, making me want another. Crafty that 😀 thanks for sending it I enjoyed it very much.

PXL_20221218_193901258.jpg

Tonight I'm drinking @Begbie's Tropic Thunder.

Fortunately, having been warned about gushing I was able to open carefully and avoid the worst.

The beer pours ink black with a large tan head, that unfortunately slowly dies back before ultimately fading away.

The aroma is fairly restrained. A few fruity notes but none of the roasty chocolate or coffee.

The fruity notes dominate the flavour with a slight chocolate background.

Mouthfeel is good but as you know the carbonation is too high which detracts a bit.

Overall, it's a good effort at the style although I'd personally prefer a bit more malt character and obviously lower carbonation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back