Winter Brew and Swap - Tropical Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I had @samale ’s offering.

View attachment 79466

My neighbour picked this up whilst away so I’ve let it settle in the garage for a week before bringing it in to warm up.

It opened with a nice hiss and poured with a nice tan head, mine didn’t dissipate quickly lasted half the glass. Got hints of chocolate and fruit from it and sweetness, this was the sweetest out of the ones I had but like mine lacked a bit of body, also my mouth became dry about 5 minutes after drinking it, making me want another. Crafty that 😀 thanks for sending it I enjoyed it very much.
Not the best beer I have ever made. Thank you for the review

View attachment 79492

Tonight I'm drinking @Begbie's Tropic Thunder.

Fortunately, having been warned about gushing I was able to open carefully and avoid the worst.

The beer pours ink black with a large tan head, that unfortunately slowly dies back before ultimately fading away.

The aroma is fairly restrained. A few fruity notes but none of the roasty chocolate or coffee.

The fruity notes dominate the flavour with a slight chocolate background.

Mouthfeel is good but as you know the carbonation is too high which detracts a bit.

Overall, it's a good effort at the style although I'd personally prefer a bit more malt character and obviously lower carbonation.
Definitely a theme going on with my brew! 😄 Thanks for the feedback @Stu's Brews - I think I know what to do for my next effort! 👍

PXL_20221219_194652603.jpg

Last, but most definitely not least is @pilgrimhudd's beer.

Faint hiss on opening and immediately picking up a few fruity aromas. Pours jet black with an invitingly dense tan head. Head retention is good with some decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is dried fruits, with some light coffee and chocolate background notes.

Flavour is dominated by fruity notes but with some smooth chocolate too. Initially its dried fruits but then becomes more plummy on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is full but also lovely and soft, helped by a well balanced carbonation. A little bit of sweetness on the finish, with some of the warming alcohol character that the style guides suggest should be present.

It's an absolute cracker of a beer. Really enjoying it.

View attachment 79514

Last, but most definitely not least is @pilgrimhudd's beer.

Faint hiss on opening and immediately picking up a few fruity aromas. Pours jet black with an invitingly dense tan head. Head retention is good with some decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is dried fruits, with some light coffee and chocolate background notes.

Flavour is dominated by fruity notes but with some smooth chocolate too. Initially its dried fruits but then becomes more plummy on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is full but also lovely and soft, helped by a well balanced carbonation. A little bit of sweetness on the finish, with some of the warming alcohol character that the style guides suggest should be present.

It's an absolute cracker of a beer. Really enjoying it.

Thanks, I'm enjoying it too, I'm just sorry I only did a 10l batch!

@samale and @pilgrimhudd - I assume Evri never appeared with your parcels so will send out fresh bottles tomorrow with Royal Mail. Have also put a bonus beer in to make up for the long wait!

Apologies, these arrived the other day safe and sound, my wife put the box on the spare bed and neglected to tell me! 😀

Back