Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best tasting homebrew kit I've ever done.

However I did suffer the getting stuck issue that so many others have had. Solved by giving it several good stirs and lots of patience - I think I brewed it about 18 days in the fermenting vessel in the end before it got there.

Still give it some patience and it's a great tasting kit.

Yes I did, next time I reckon I'll go a little short, more like 20 litres to bump up the strength

Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before but there are 61 pages to search through and my query is a bit specific. I pitched the yeast last night at around 21 degrees (kit says 18-20). It's been about 18 hours since and no activity coming from the airlock. I sprinkled the yeast on top of the foam wort and was expecting it to have taken off by now. It's now about 21 degrees and it appears that yeast has already sunk to the bottom. The lid doesent appear to be swollen either so not airlock issue. Should I add more yeast? I'm not near a local HB shop so would a Wilko substitute be sufficient? Any tips greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

I just the yeast that came with the kit! I know the standard yeast hasn't got great reviews!

yes I'm sad to say this yeast is renowned for being ****e. all I can say is get it up to 22 and give it a stir with a clean and sanitized spoon. if its only been a day or so you maybe be able to get away with shaking the FV a bit to get some aeration going (with the lid on)

After 30 hours or so, it has come to life with a bang. Bit weird it took so long as was about to add more yeast to it. Cheers!

pleased to hear it. I would have been worried too. I do start to consider starters when in that situation for the next batch but since using gervin it gets moving on or around the third hour and I think that's a pretty good sign with sprinkled in yeast.

for you're next batch id strongly recommend the GV12 (MUNTONS) or wilkos gervin sachets. seem so reliable.

ac9d1d6ea89e03fc5ed1b765d5720ff5.jpg

My wherry I made 6/5/16. So pleased with how it's turned out. This was my first brew. It's looks and tastes great.

looks nice and clear. Youl be on the path now. a long and patient one but well worth it!

Well done. Woodfordes Wherry is a lovely pint on a hot summers' day. :thumb: :thumb: (Due soon we hope!)

Also "Win-Win" for learning Lessons 1 & 2 of home brewing:

1. Be patient.

2. Sterilise everything.

Better start on the next brew. It's amazing how quickly they evaporate! :whistle:

I second that dutto. I realised that if you didn't start the next batch straight after you were buying beer and I'm glad to say that's becoming a thing of the past for me. unless you're out and even then you can realise why homebrewing can be a better pint

Nice clean hoppy taste but mine came too gassy. I'm going to buy a second fermenter to finish off beers before bottling especially if the hydrometer reading sticks at too high a value for several days.

Hi folks, I've just started this kit as per instructions but to18litres and with the addition of 100g of sugar boiled in a little water.
Here's hoping it turns out OK.
First gravity reading is 1.054.

Hi folks, I've just started this kit as per instructions but to18litres and with the addition of 100g of sugar boiled in a little water.
Here's hoping it turns out OK.
First gravity reading is 1.054.

that's interesting. I got a similar reading at 22 litres. I added 150g of amber and 50g of crystal, 70g roasted barley. Im hazardin a guess this is the extra points although I read steeped grains won't add many.

either way its going to be a nice pint.

Im hoping you didn't use the kit yeast

Last edited:
Im hoping you didn't use the kit yeast
The Wherry kit yeast 'stuck' thing seems to be a bit hit and miss. The likelihood is that the quantity of yeast supplied is on its pitching limit for a full 23 litres from what others have said on here. However by brewing your Wherry short you are increasing your chance of success with the yeast supplied :thumb:. Overall though its best to use another yeast if you don't want a stuck brew; I used a GV12 although there are obviously others including Wilko's Ale yeast.

Drinking Wherry now from a corny. I think I must have overdone the priming DME or accidently added it twice. VERY, VERY over gassed. Apart from that, a great pint. I pimped it with DME and a hop tea and slung the yeast pack in favour of wilco's GV12. Have to make some more soon. I thought I'd have a go at Myqul's idea to harvest Shepard Neame's 1698 yeast, but that'll have to wait until August, after I've taken Mrs. Marlon on holiday. SWMBO takes priority in this house...(probably the best lady in the world).......

Latest posts

Back