Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these ready for Christmas... I can't wait! Mine went in the FV for a month and I sampled a bit when I kegged it.... was fantastic!!! I wish I had picked more of these up from Wilko now when they were on offer. I will definitely be doing another one of these though, was thinking of adding something to it maybe some dried fruit or spices to make a winter warmer of some sort, anyone got any recommendations? I don't think I'd like to add hops to it as it has quite a nice, sweet, malty taste to it.

Tried my first bottle of Wherry (also my first bottle of home brew beer) at the weekend and was fairly pleased with it. It had been in the bottle indoors for 2 weeks then 4 weeks in the shed. The taste was pretty good but it wasn't as clear as I had expected. I expect this will improve after a bit more time, especially now that the weather has gotten colder.

Overall, I'm happy and am looking forward to another couple of brews (St Peters Ruby Red and San Francisco Steam) becoming ready for sampling in the next few weeks.

Sampled my first bottle of Wherry last night and although tasty, lots of flavours and no homebrew twang, it is far more malty than I had expected; has anyone else found this?

It had 3 weeks in FV and 1 week bottle conditioning in the warm, admittedly it could probably do with a little more time in the cold - will the maltiness mellow out given more time?

Brewtus said:
it is far more malty than I had expected; has anyone else found this?

It had 3 weeks in FV and 1 week bottle conditioning in the warm, admittedly it could probably do with a little more time in the cold - will the maltiness mellow out given more time?

I managed to leave mine bottle conditioning for 8 weeks and the maltiness was very prominent even after that length of time. However, the prominent flavour in my previous Woodforde's kit - an Admirals Reserve - was frutiness and this mellowed after about three months. I think therein lies the difference between the two though: Wherry is maltier than AR, which in turn is fruitier than Wherry.

So Yes, I too found the Wherry maltier than I'd have liked (still very nice though - Old Speckled Hen would be a comparison I think) but I suspect that whilst Wherry kits don't need long to be drinkable, they do need a good 3+ months to achieve their best.

I hit the ABV target exactly. Although not meeting the strength of beers I prefer, I do like this one; very zesty and fresh. Given that it is a fairly strong British style ale, it might seem strange for me to say that this might become a summer favourite, cooled and slightly raised carbonation. Can't be drinking 8%'s all summer, and I think I'd prefer Wherry over Pils.

I know it can get stuck, but for me, that was the quickest, cleanest ferment I've done. No starter just sprinkled on the top and off it went, almost straight away, full bore for 3 days and now at 1012 :D

T jar tasted brilliant too :shock:

I realise I am only reiterating what everyone else has already said on this thread, but this is really good! Definitely the best balanced beer I have brewed to date, now that, 3 weeks after bottling, the malt has mellowed back a little, and the hpos are more prominent.

This is definitely on the 'to do again' list.

I've done 3 of these kits and always been good. I've fancied experimenting on my last one so when I put in the 2nd fv for clearing for a week, I added a hop tea bag of ekg. I had my first sample last night as been in corny for a month. Its really nice, the ekg has given it more flavor and took away some of the bitterness slightly. I will definitely do it like this again

I have done 2 of the Wherry kits so far, first one as per instructions, second one dry hopped, day 8 of 14 days, with 50g of EKG and the difference was quite marked. The second kit had much more flavour and obviously more aroma an all round nicer pint. Third one on the go now and I will dry hop again.

Greenland Stinger :drink:

I put my first beer kit on (a Woodefordes Wherry) on the 15th of this month and it has been bubbling away happily ever since in a cold utility room with a brew belt on. My friend recommended adding a jar of honey to it before brewing but couldn't really elaborate as to what it brought to the party. Having never brewed one without, he had nothing to compare to. Having read the early posts on this thread, the general advice was not to mess with this kit, it brews a cracking pint as is.

Can anyone shed any light on his advice? good or bad idea? what is the benefit, as I would imagine any sweetness that honey would impart would be lost once the sugars were fermented.

:hat:

Just had a taste out the pressure barrel after 3 weeks in a cold shed and its seriously impressive :thumb:
After a bit of a rank brew result with the Wilko's cerveza my faith in home brew is restored ( the only two kits I've tried so far).Stuck to the instructions and would definitely buy this again (more than one if its down to £16 again), developed a nice creamy taste compared to a small sample last week.Only trouble now is trying to make this last until Christmas.

I got a lot of great reviews from this one. I primed with wilkos brewing sugar and I must say, turned out fantastic.

My 1st brew. Had no probs and after 3weeks in FV and 3 weeks in pressure barrel is tasting good but I wish I'd tweaked it with some hops. Nothing citrus-y, just something else. At the moment it's tasting like the background to something I'd love if it had that extra angle. Delighted its turned out well, though.

Hello all,

I have heard this is a good 'Starter' Kit to go for. I am just letting my Wilko's Golden Ale ferment fully, and I noticed that his kit is on sale @ £15.50.

Good kit to buy as a second?

I got kit on the go on 21/12/13, brewed it to about 21L and had a OG of 1046, it has been fermenting under the stairs and I checked the G on 27/12/13 its reading 1010 so seems to be going OK. Quick taste of it from the sample tube and it is very promising. I'm going to leave it for a few more days and then start to check the G again.

Cant wait to get it bottled and conditioned :thumb:

Presently on offer for £15.20 in my local wilko's (Brighouse). Really looking forward to brewing this one.

:P :P :P :P

Out of interest - I forgot to take the OG of my wherry kit, made up to 22L. it was at 20 degrees (near enough) does anyone have an OG figure I could nick for my spreadsheet - I'm guessing its about 1040 - 1042.

Latest posts

Back