Woodfordes wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsb

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently brewed a wherry kit and it’s now drinking:beer1: absolutely awesome!! Nice malty taste, so good I’ve just put another 40 pints on this morning, just wondering though is there a way of getting the alcohol vol up a little? I’m a newbie to brewing so be gentle pleaseathumb..

When you mix it you can add brewing sugar,table sugar,syrup,dry or liquid malt. Malt will give more body and taste. To get more abv you could also brew it short...add less water...but obviously you get less beer.

I brewed one yesterday a gift off my mum in law i added 500g medium dme and 500g sugar og was 5.1% athumb..
Excuse my ignorance but what is dme? Also is it safe to add the sugar now , considering I mixed the malt and yeast this morning.

I have recently added a jar 487g of Pure LME (Liquid Malt Extract) from Holland & Barrett it makes it around 5% and really helps with the head retention!

Excuse my ignorance but what is dme? Also is it safe to add the sugar now , considering I mixed the malt and yeast this morning.
DME = dry malt extract AKA spray malt.

Safe to add sugar now - I would boil it up in a small amount of water to ensure sterile.

If you have a wilkos nearby they do beer enhancer which is a 50:50 mix of brewing sugar and dme which could be a good shout.

Hi guys, recently brewed a wherry kit and it’s now drinking:beer1: absolutely awesome!! Nice malty taste, so good I’ve just put another 40 pints on this morning, just wondering though is there a way of getting the alcohol vol up a little? I’m a newbie to brewing so be gentle pleaseathumb..

This doen not really answer your question but I have done 15 or so Wherry brews and am also doing Nelsons Bitter at around 5% and Admirals Reserve at 5.5 ish. The latter is superb everyone keeps telling me so I may phase out Wherry and Nelsons and have 3 KKs full of Admirals Reserve

I have recently added a jar 487g of Pure LME (Liquid Malt Extract) from Holland & Barrett it makes it around 5% and really helps with the head retention!

Sounds good - if I do another Wherry I will try that - but what would be a typical og without it and with it please if you know.

Cheers Wp

Ok guys I’m two days in and the colour is not looking good, it’s gone a coffee/ tan colour which is different from the first batch I brewed, anything wrong?
7F7A7581-A7DD-4B00-BCE5-68721051FDAC.jpeg

Ok guys I’m two days in and the colour is not looking good, it’s gone a coffee/ tan colour which is different from the first batch I brewed, anything wrong?View attachment 33950
It's yeast in suspension, and look OK to me. But I would move the FV into a dark place or cover it up. Light, particularly UV light, is not good for beer, it causes 'skunking' (look it up), and you have an almost clear FV. Thats why beer usually comes in brown bottles.

Ok thanks, it was just concerning me because the previous batch I made was totally different colour at this stage, maybe because I added a little extra sugar this time?

Latest posts

Back