World’s Strongest Man

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone else a fan of the sport of strongman?

Obviously I know who won the big one this year, but I still enjoy watching the heats. Luke Stoltman was really close to qualifying on tonight’s show, and I’m a big fan of his brother who I think has a big future but was in a group of death this year.

Anyone else a fan of the sport of strongman?

Obviously I know who won the big one this year, but I still enjoy watching the heats. Luke Stoltman was really close to qualifying on tonight’s show, and I’m a big fan of his brother who I think has a big future but was in a group of death this year.

I watched in the 80s, with Sigmarsson. Stopped watching when he stopped competing.

I used to watch it all the time.
Do the Strongest Man promoters have a drug testing policy?

It’s untested I believe. It doesn’t make what these guys can do any less impressive though IMO, it still takes an unbelievable amount of work, discipline and dedication!

i put steroids in my beer, its in a Greg Hughes AIPA recipe

I have a friend who is in the process of qualifying for WSM.

I'm pretty strong and the stuff he does is just insane.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

I have a friend who is in the process of qualifying for WSM.

I'm pretty strong and the stuff he does is just insane.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Is it a name I would recognise from watching some of the smaller comps during the year?

I remember Magnus Ver Magnusson, doubt he is still going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't follow it but do enjoy watching it when I catch it. I've done a bit of strength training in the past and when you see what those guys can do in comparison it really makes you appreciate just how incredible it is. 100kg dumbell press, wtf??

Just booked myself a couple ticked to watch Europe's S.M in the new year.. cant wait. do a lot of powerlifting myself so im quite a big follower of strongman!

cant wait to see Hall take gold. an interview with him spoke of how Thor threw quite the paddy when one of his reps was disallowed

I don't follow it but do enjoy watching it when I catch it. I've done a bit of strength training in the past and when you see what those guys can do in comparison it really makes you appreciate just how incredible it is. 100kg dumbell press, wtf??

This. Pre-kids I could deadlift 200kg for 5 reps. In the “deadlift for reps” events some of these guys are doing 8,9,10 reps at 350 or 385kg - it’s crazy!

Watching a human deadlift 4 tonnes in 60 seconds is insane. In fact everything they can do is insane and so far above the comprehension of a normal bloke.

As for steroids, I wouldn't imagine it's too prevelant as steroids don't really increase strength as such, more muscle bulk. That's a bodybuilding thing, not a core strength thing.
Plus the risks of increased blood pressure etc would be lethal for most of these enormous guys when they compete. Their BP is already through the roof without artificially increasing it further

I've heard that antibiotic treatments help muscle growth. But it's been a while since I hit the gym (back says DONTYOUFOKKINDARE) so not uptodate here. But it's bizarre what those guys can accomplish. Pure quality. One of the Dutch contenders back in de days held the world record for hitting nails into a plank with his hands.

steroids dont just add size. they also increase strength dramatically. as well as improving bone density and tendon strength ect.

mainly, they facilitate a MUCH faster recovery from training = more training = more gains.

hundreds of different steroids. some are just for size, some strength, some cutting weight ect ect.

the strongman athletes are tested for recreational drugs but not steroids. they are on a LOT of juice (not all.. but i would hazard a guess at at least 90% )

love it, been a fan since I started lifting when I was a kid (and still going.)

I'm at a seminar/meet and greet thingie with Big Z in February at a local gym, can't wait !

It's the oddest sporting competition. They'd literally sell out Wembley ,or the UAS/European equivalent, but instead it's filmed in Africa every yr in front of a crowd of 50 people who literally have no idea what is going on.

I knew the result, but still go a bit emotional. Eddie is probably my favourite non-football/basketball sportsperson of all time.

Also, is it just me or does Martins Licis’s mum not look old enough to be his mother. Total MILF!

Back